Pawn Shop Prices
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Pawn Shop Prices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pawn Shop Prices

What are some good alternatives to the pawn shop and walmart for deer rifle shopping and recommended price ranges for 30-06 or 30-30 rifles?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Gun store? GunBroker.com? Gun shows? Firearmstalk.com?

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 07-31-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Gun store? GunBroker.com? Gun shows? Firearmstalk.com?
X2 The internet is an amazing resource

Also like pioneer said if you don't want to have them shipped and pay for the transfer or wait for 'em find a gun show in your area and do some browsing.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The internet, gunshows, the nickel ads, and Gunlist are about your only other options. Word of mouth sales are great if you know very many people. Co-workers sometimes want to dump a gun from their collection for a very fair price.

Nothing wrong with the right pawnshop either. A solid '06 or 30-30 can be had for $300 or less.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Get a c&r. For the price and pain of doing it,it is well worth it. There are loads of milsurp rifles you can choose from. You can pick up synthetic stocks,put scopes on em or whatever tickles your fancy. It's FUN to work on them also.The calibers are hard hitting too. All this, and at a fraction of the cost for some fancy$$ shooter from your local spots shop. BUT...to each his own.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I would think that there is a small-time privately owned gun shop in your area. Go to the pawn shops and see if they will tell you who they send their guns to for repairs. There are two gunsmiths/ salesmen within about 15 miles of my house. Fortunately for me, one of them in my grandpa. As for prices, you get what you pay for. Expect to pay $300 or so for a 30-30 and $400+ for a good 30-06.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default caveat emptor

I grew up in an Army town where there was a pawn shop on every corner. You could get some great deals in the old days, but today the dealers are more knowledgable and generally know exactly what they've got and how much it's worth--and they're experts at covering up flaws and making a POS look good. You've got to know what you're doing and be very careful to avoid getting massively ripped off, let alone to get a good deal.

Pawnbrokers have to be cold SOBs to do what they do. No shame to it; softhearted pawnbrokers just don't stay in business very long. Go over the gun with a very sharp eye, and don't believe a word you're told about it. I was once told that a Smith 29 was "new and unfired"; it had a copper-plated bore and a scratch around the bolt notches you could hang a shirt on. Watch out.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #8

I give up on pawn shops. In my experience pawnbrokers are not knowledgeable; they merely give little or nothing (40% of bluebook, on average)for whatever is brought in and then check GunsAmerica to find the highest price anyone is asking for the same or a similar gun, which then becomes their "baseline, based on research" price. I walked in and spotted a poorly maintained M-14 at a local shop; Springfield armory, heavily used, surface rust all over, stock replaced with a surplus model that had the selector cut out hole in the back and very little finish. $1900.00. Meanwhile a brand new SOCOM retails locally for $1350...All of my local pawnshops have used Ruger single actions in conditions varying from ok to dismal, and every last one of em is asking full NIB retail price for em(350-450)... and apparently they get it. If you ask if they have the box or the missing rear sight pieces (a lot of the blackhawks are missing the rear sight blade for some reason) you get a well practiced eyeball roll and little else. I go to the shows when I can, and I hit the pawnshops to kill time. The only way to get good guns at reasonable prices in a pawn shop is to own the pawn shop.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #9

A C&R license WILL also get you discounts on things like ammo, scopes, mounts, etc from places like Brownells.

You may also want to try places like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, etc for commercial hunting rifles and shotguns.

Milsurps and C&R is a great way to go (and the way I chose) because having these older arms is preserving a bit of our history and serves as a lesson from those who have gone before us.