Past events
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Past events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Past events

Well last year I shot a 7.62x39 through my m44(7.62x54r) on accident , and the casing got stuck and I finally got around to getting it out and got to thinking would that messup the bore or spin of the actual rifle ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #2

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308 View Post
Well last year I shot a 7.62x39 through my m44(7.62x54r) on accident , and the casing got stuck and I finally got around to getting it out and got to thinking would that messup the bore or spin of the actual rifle ?
Should not have damaged the bore at all, it's the proper caliber, i.e. 7.62mm. Chamber is another issue entirely, that cartridge did not seat properly since it was too short and the full force of the ignition pressure was borne directly on the chamber walls. Typically a bullet will engage the leade in the barrel throat and the cartidge will shoulder against the chamber wall held in place by the bolt face, the 39mm COL would not allow that to happen in a 54mm chamber so the gases were permitted to expand in the chamber itself, fortunately the bullet didn't hit the chamber wall and the pressure wasn't significant enough to cause a kaboom...in other words you got lucky!

Just look at how far out the bullet was hanging in the chamber....

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 03-21-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Should not have damaged the bore at all, it's the proper caliber, i.e. 7.62mm. Chamber is another issue entirely, that cartridge did not seat properly since it was too short and the full force of the ignition pressure was borne directly on the chamber walls. Typically a bullet will engage the leade in the barrel throat and the cartidge will shoulder against the chamber wall held in place by the bolt face, the 39mm COL would not allow that to happen in a 54mm chamber so the gases were permitted to expand in the chamber itself, fortunately the pressure wasn't significant enough to cause a kaboom...
Can you explain that more depth ?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm really lucky that it didn't blow up aren't I?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Can you explain that more depth ?
Look at the pic posted above, the round on the left is the 7.62x54r round. When loaded into the chamber the bullet itself sits partly in the barrel and the rim on the bottom of the casing engages the outer chamber wall held in place by the bolt. When fired the casing expands and the gases are pushed forward through the barrel, unable to come backward into the chamber. With the 7.62 x 39 round there was no contact with the barrel throat, in a sense the tip of the bullet was just hanging in the chamber. When the round was discharged the gases first filled the chamber, then moved through the barrel. Any obstruction of the barrel at that time would have caused the chamber walls to rupture and the entire receiver could have blown apart. Also, with no restriction against the top of the casing, it most likely overexpanded to the point that it no longer fit through the breach...that's most likely why it jammed in the chamber. Was the casing split or disfigured when you removed it?
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It was very large and expanded , well one part came out on the bolt it looked like a 380 casing then the rest of the round cane out today well let's just say it was pretty big and I could wear it as a ring

Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #7

Quote:
It was very large and expanded , well one part came out on the bolt it looked like a 380 casing then the rest of the round cane out today well let's just say it was pretty big and I could wear it as a ring
That's what I figured. The Mosin is rugged as hell but I would seriously consider having someone look it over before you shoot it again. May be fine but any weak spot will eventually blow out...it is 70 years old. Why tempt fate?

Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Good lord! How the hell did you pull that one off? It's not even rimmed! Wowzers, ok I've seen worse but still......

Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw
Good lord! How the hell did you pull that one off? It's not even rimmed! Wowzers, ok I've seen worse but still......
No clue dude it was in the box of 7.62x54r tho it was the first one on top of the box the rest were rimed tho :/

Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

That's what I figured. The Mosin is rugged as hell but I would seriously consider having someone look it over before you shoot it again. May be fine but any weak spot will eventually blow out...it is 70 years old. Why tempt fate?
I'm probably gonna get it checked if it passes the bill I'm selling it if not I'm keeping it for display :/ or buying a new barrel