Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   parker & hale 7mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/parker-hale-7mm-57272/)

mtbfarms 02-08-2012 10:51 AM

My grandfather gave me a parker & hale 7mm that he bought 20 or 30 years ago. (Don't know exactly. He has since passed on). When he gave it to me he was worried that the gun was a "hot" gun because as he put it "I paid way too little for a gun this nice looking".
When I started researching, it turns out that it is a legit firearm the looks good but is not worth much at all. he wanted me to shoot it. So I mounted a super sniper 10x 42mm in burris signature rings and off to the range. After a quick bore sight. It too 3 groups and only 8 clicks to find this cheap 7mm shoots .4 moa with factory ammo. Damnnnn. Does anybody else have any experience with parker & hale? I know very little other that its a hell of a shooter and its not worth what it looks.

jpattersonnh 02-08-2012 11:06 AM

Parker Hale built sporting rifles on Mauser actions as well as others. What 7mm? They were and are very highly sought after by serious hunters. That super sniper scope should be taken off as it is not worthy of the rifle. JMHO

Did you have it drilled and tapped?

c3shooter 02-08-2012 02:02 PM

One of the better gun makers in England. Long history of high quality firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Hale

mtbfarms 02-08-2012 06:38 PM

Its in 7mm remington mag. Does not say much on the gun other than birmingham england. Its a damn good shooter. It shoots .4 moa easy and I can dial hits with the super sniper easy out to 600 yards. I know a super sniper sounds lame but I have 3. Glass is in no way that of a nightforce or a swarovski, but it holds zero and the turrets are accurate.

Marlinman 02-08-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbfarms
Its in 7mm remington mag. Does not say much on the gun other than birmingham england. Its a damn good shooter. It shoots .4 moa easy and I can dial hits with the super sniper easy out to 600 yards. I know a super sniper sounds lame but I have 3. Glass is in no way that of a nightforce or a swarovski, but it holds zero and the turrets are accurate.

They are a very accurate rifle. As was said they are a mauser offshoot. They were the marlin of their day-cheap, well made, and very accurate. The scope is probably a good choice then if you like it and it suits your purposes.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

jpattersonnh 02-09-2012 10:45 AM

OK, let me understand you. You shot at 100 yards and had 1/2" groups, then you also shot at 600 yards without ever doing any ballistics work w/ the rifle and round. How did you come up w/ the correct MOA to do that?

BTW, Parker Hale made the 1200 super Magnum in 7mm Rem Mag, It is a true Mauser action. They sell for $700.00 and up, well used. Not your average off the shelf rifle. Are you sure it says Parker and Hale, or Parker- Hale, Maybe Parker Hale?

mtbfarms 02-09-2012 11:37 AM

2740 ave fps over crono while getting 100 yard zero. 168g berger vld. Bc. .617. Put all the numbers in a ballistic calculator and ready to rock and roll. That is how I could make easy hits at 600 yards.

That's interesting about the different ways the name is spelled. Ill check mine when I get home. What do the different way of writing mean?

locutus 02-11-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 702630)
Parker Hale built sporting rifles on Mauser actions as well as others. What 7mm? They were and are very highly sought after by serious hunters. That super sniper scope should be taken off as it is not worthy of the rifle. JMHO

Did you have it drilled and tapped?

I totally agree on all counts!:p

mtbfarms 02-12-2012 01:23 AM

It was already drilled and tapped when I got it.

It says: Parker - Hale ltd. Birmingham england.

What does that mean?

And it has a gold colored trigger

Txhillbilly 02-12-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 702630)
That super sniper scope should be taken off as it is not worthy of the rifle. JMHO

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 703612)
OK, let me understand you. You shot at 100 yards and had 1/2" groups, then you also shot at 600 yards without ever doing any ballistics work w/ the rifle and round. How did you come up w/ the correct MOA to do that?

JP,I have always agreed & respected with 99% of your replies to things,but where do you get off telling someone that their scope isn't worthy of being on their rifle?
And just because someone is new here,and has a low post count,doesn't mean that they are a dumbass.It's pretty simple to figure out the ballsitics of just about any cartridge for a given range.

Please don't be so harsh on the new guy's. THB