Pardon me, about these surplus Nagants. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Pardon me, about these surplus Nagants.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Go ahead and get it, you won't be sorry. If you don't like it, it has lots of other uses!

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Surf around that site too, it's packed with info, just the historical aspect alone is enough of a cool factor for me. IMHO the absolute best VALUE in a rifle out there...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 05-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have always loved the look and design of the Mosin. It is a great peice of Russian history. I also agree that it's one of those rifles where you can't just have 1. I'm looking forward to buying at least 2 more. Another carbine and a regular long Mosin. If there's guns that has been around for a long long time and has been used in many wars and is still being shot today by it's fans then why not give it a shot. One thing I love about this rifle is that the 7.62x54mm round is MEAN. I also think it's cool that the round is still being used today. I was wondering what is up with the Chinese made Mosin's? I saw them the other day on j&gsales.com.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #13

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

My problem is all of the options! Which one to get? My answer seems to be "many because one is not enough". And I should get a Nagant to go with a Mosin as a matching pair! :-)

Since suppressors are now legal n my state, C&R buying was put on hold. With prices sure to climb, it might be time to switch back to C&R. Now I find a dealer that has some pristine, although relatively expensive WW2 K98's!

Maybe I need to find a second job!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #14

Liked 1447 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Nasty View Post
I have always loved the look and design of the Mosin. It is a great peice of Russian history. I also agree that it's one of those rifles where you can't just have 1. I'm looking forward to buying at least 2 more. Another carbine and a regular long Mosin. If there's guns that has been around for a long long time and has been used in many wars and is still being shot today by it's fans then why not give it a shot. One thing I love about this rifle is that the 7.62x54mm round is MEAN. I also think it's cool that the round is still being used today. I was wondering what is up with the Chinese made Mosin's? I saw them the other day on j&gsales.com.
What is up with the Chinese T-53s you are seeing now is this: In the early 1950s the Soviets and the Chinese were good buddies. The Soviets had all of this equipment and spare parts for obsolete bolt action rifles laying around and gave them or sold them to their Communist BFF. They also sent engineers and technicians to help the Chinese get started. In 1953 the Chinese started making the exact copy of the M-1944 but called it the T-53. Who knows what the Chinese were thinking, making these to begin with, the SKS and AK were coming down the pipe soon.

Other countries got the same deal from the Soviets, some of whom, may have had the rifles and tooling shoved down their throats. Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungaryand Chek....(how ever you spell it) and probably North Korea made the same rifle, only the name changed to protect the innocent.

That is one draw to collecting these rifles, there are a heap of variations that can be had for little money. It is the working mans collectable today. Who knows about tomorrow, they may go the way of the SKS or Mauser which used to be dirt cheap. In ten years there may be people bragging about only paying $100.00 for these, back in the day......

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #15

Liked 2490 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

The great thing about the M44s and the T53s is most of them haven't had

a re-arsenal, and were lightly used. You can find beat up ones,

but with very little difficulty I found two pristine M44s, with all

matching serial#s.

IMHO, these are the best of the lot, carbine-sized, all your

accessories come with the gun, the bayonet is built on.

If you're a true freak, like me, you can even drill the

buttstock,(ah, remove the steel cover plate first,skippy)

to store the cleaning jag, guide and handle.

Robust, self sufficient, and accurate, with good

ammunition.

And whotta muzzle blast! There is mondo fun factor

here.

I also use mine when I'm scouting with binoculars, before a big hunt.

Last edited by therewolf; 05-27-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

People do turn their noses up at them at the range. It doesn't matter what kind of cool guns I was blasting away with beforehand, the second I take out a Mosin somebody is going to make some stupid comment. I don't get it, I think they are historical, tremendous fun and cheap to shoot.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #17

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny357 View Post
People do turn their noses up at them at the range. It doesn't matter what kind of cool guns I was blasting away with beforehand, the second I take out a Mosin somebody is going to make some stupid comment. I don't get it, I think they are historical, tremendous fun and cheap to shoot.
So you get it. The folks that feel a need to put the rifle or the shooter down have no clue.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #18

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've bump fired a mosin. I'm just awesome like that.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #19

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've bump fired a mosin. I'm just awesome like that.
So how did you attach the bolt to your long nuts? We know your nick name is long nuts!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

winchester sells a whitebox noncorrosive reloadable 7.62x54r cartridge. couple other large ammo makers put out softpoint hunting ammo in reloadable noncorrosive too. using quality ammo a mosin in a decent shooter's hands will go 1.5 to 2 moa with open sights.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...