Pardon me, about these surplus Nagants.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Pardon me, about these surplus Nagants.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default Pardon me, about these surplus Nagants.

I'm a bit of a rifle novice so I'd like to ask folks who are better versed than I am so are they usable? I watched a http://youtu.be/rmVJYB3uDkc and my interest peaked, then I saw this And I couldn't help but be eeven more interested and then checked Buds and I'm going holy smokes! this thing is 120! Now the common opinion on reddit is that they are nerd/newb rifles and frowned upon but for a person who digs history and firearms and for THAT price, are they usable? or just a neat thing to shoot a few times? Can you actually hunt with them and customize them? yay or nay? thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

They don't take scope mounts as easily as most other bolt actions due to the open top of the rear ring, and most of the scope mounts for them are cheesy and barely worth the cost of installing them. Most of the ones I have seen can be very difficult to open after fireing. The large opening for ejection and the split top rear ring make the action too weak for most modern magnums. However they are cheap, the ammo (7.62x54R) is cheap, and as long as the bore is in good shape they tend to shoot pretty well. If it has your interest, buy one, and shoot the **** out of it. Buyer's remorse is easy to get over when you stop shooting because your shoulder hurts, rather than you can't afford more ammo.

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 05-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #3

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
They don't take scope mounts as easily as most other bolt actions due to the open top of the rear ring, and most of the scope mounts for them are cheesy and barely worth the cost of installing them. Most of the ones I have seen can be very difficult to open after fireing. The large opening for ejection and the split top rear ring make the action too weak for most modern magnums. However they are cheap, the ammo (7.62x54R) is cheap, and as long as the bore is in good shape they tend to shoot pretty well. If it has your interest, buy one, and shoot the **** out of it. Buyer's remorse is easy to get over when you stop shooting because your shoulder hurts, rather than you can't afford more ammo.
Very true and thanks for your input.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 05-27-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I think nagants are like chips you can't only have 1 I personally have 2 and an m44 (the carbine version ) and I love them all but some you've got to be careful about shooting corrosive ammo because of the I think it's salts in the primer and I use Windex with Ammonia to clean the hole barrel and bolt but that just me , and I personally love them so I'd say pick one up and your shoulder dons't hurt that bad haha I actually went shooting today and shoot my m 91/30 today 27 times my brother shoot it 3 times , so I hope this helps you decide on this

Old 05-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #5

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A mosin can do anything a model 70 or rem 700 can, just not with the same style (notice I did not say LESS style).
And chances are, you won't find a mosin as accurate as a current production bolt rifle. They DO exist, but good luck.
Expect around 4"groups at 100 yards. Could be much less, or much, MUCH more, depending on how badly it was abused back in the day.
Great rifle, Russian conscript proof, powerful round (similar to the -06, not so much the .308 as so many claim) cheap ammo....
Who gives a damn if some folks don't like it, or "frown upon" it. Mines a damn good shooter, operates smoothly, and holds minute of beer can at 100 yards. Best $160 I ever spent in my life, gun wise (included a spam can of ammo).

Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308 View Post
I think nagants are like chips you can't only have 1 I personally have 2 and an m44 (the carbine version ) and I love them all but some you've got to be careful about shooting corrosive ammo because of the I think it's salts in the primer and I use Windex with Ammonia to clean the hole barrel and bolt but that just me , and I personally love them so I'd say pick one up and your shoulder dons't hurt that bad haha I actually went shooting today and shoot my m 91/30 today 27 times my brother shoot it 3 times , so I hope this helps you decide on this
You do understand that ammonia is as corrosive as the salts produced by igniting the primer. It is the soap and water in windex that neutralizes the salts. Boiling water is all it takes to disolve the salt. I took my PU91/30 out 2 weeks ago. Went through 12 boxes of ammo, my son was good for 1/2. That is 120 rounds each. No butt pad except the fine steel one it came with. If you hold the rifle correctly, it is pretty timid.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #7

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I'm still thinking about getting one just to get one. With all the choices, I still have not made the leap. Dunham's has them for $99 this week and they sometime have them as low as $79. I also have a C&R license so the more expensive hex receivers are available to ship to my door. I had better make up my mind before they jump in price like so many other surplus guns!

Old 05-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I'm still thinking about getting one just to get one. With all the choices, I still have not made the leap. Dunham's has them for $99 this week and they sometime have them as low as $79. I also have a C&R license so the more expensive hex receivers are available to ship to my door. I had better make up my mind before they jump in price like so many other surplus guns!
Just so you know, when you use the term "Nagants" most folks associate that name with the M-1895 Nagant revolver. Mosin would be a better term for the Mosin-Nagant rifle, if you need to shorten the name. Mr. Nagant, was credited as the inventor of the Nagant revolver and was a co-inventor of the Mosin-Nagant rifle.

These rifles shoot better than most shooters that own them. If you get one with a good bore it will serve any purpose a Rem 700 will. Some folks look down their noses at the rifles simply because they are so inexpensive.

Most of the Pre-war, or Post war guns have a decent finish. The wartime production pressures did not allow nice polishing of the finish, but at the same time, they did not sacrifice quality.

These rifles served in a military capacity for at least 90 years, making them one of the longest serving military weapon in modern times. They are reliable and tough as an anvil.

The historical aspect of owning a rifle that is a veteran of the most violent fighting of WWII is another aspect of draw of these rifles. The Soviet Union was always short of rifles, and any rifle made before the end of WWII has a very good possibility of being carried by a soldier in combat.

As a child of the Cold War, it is also cool to know that these are the weapons that the Soviet Union were going to use to "bury us" with. They were refurbished and stored for WWIII. I gloat a bit, that we ended up with their rifles without firing a shot...

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 05-27-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

I'm not a mosin-nagant fan, but if you are then go for it. No matter what I or anyone else thinks about them, at the end of the day its a functioning rifle that cost about as much as two tanks of gas. You really can't wrong at that price.

I just wish I had gotten a couple of SKS's back when thay were the same price as the Mosins are now!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Pretty much what the folks up there said. The Commies had taken their rifles at the end of WW 2, ran them back thru their arsenals for a rebuild, and tucked them away in their War Stocks. In the past few years, needing cash, they have dumped a few million of them on the market.

For the price, you get a "factory refurbished rifle", rather idiot proof (or uneducated peasant proof) that will give reasonable accuracy, drop any animal found in North America with the right bullet, has cheap ammo available, and is dirt cheap.

Frankly, you have a hard time buying a rusty 22 rifle for what these are selling for. If you want want, get one- they WILL eventually go up, and go away.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.