You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Painting a Ruger American.308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Painting a Ruger American.308

I have a .308 Ruger American that is very plain. I want to have an artist friend of mine paint a nightmare before Christmas scene on the stock. She will use durable outdoor paint and will then clear coat it. My husband has a few concerns that I can't answer. He feels it will lower the value of the gun. I feel it would increase the value. The cost to have her do it is anywhere from $100-$250 depending on how detailed I want it. His other concern is the clear coat will make it unusable. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #2

Liked 3746 Times on 2179 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Custom paint jobs can lower value if they have a individualized appeal. To raise value if would needed apeal.

Keeping paint on the stock only would not affect function. It still may not hold up well to a lot of outdoor active use, such as hunting. Another factor that can reduce value. I would keep non-fiream specific paints being used on the metal and moving parts.

If this is a gun you never plan to sell, then monetary value doesn't really matter.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4340 Times on 2792 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to find the introductions and tell us a bit about yourself.

Painting: have you heard of duracoat and ceracoat? Both are durable and need no clearcoat to protect them.

As far as value: from what I've seen paint on a firearm makes little difference on value, and might decrease it slightly. If you happen to find a buyer that really likes your paint, then it might increase the value.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2122 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

That $150 would get you a nice laminated wood stock in your choice of color from Boyds.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Liked 213 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 143

One question is, is the stock plastic or wood?

Just throwing on paints because they work with a few things doesn't necessarily makes those paints good for everything. You need the proper paints for the correct job, or you'll get bleeding, peeling, cracking, lifting up of whole paint scent.

Plastic materials require plastic type primers, paints and clearcoats due to the different flexing properties compared to woods.

I like the idea myself, but don't think it will make it increase in value unless the artist name is actually Tim Burton.

Something I've seen before with wooden stocks, is a tattoo artist used his mad skills on his different guns. They were really sick --- in a VERY GOOD WAY.

All done with a wood burning pencil set and all the different blades to give him outlining, shading, depth.

If you know or can speak with some tatters, you might just get something that really will increase the value and be permanent, then give a good wood clear coating to protect.

I can only say this technique was with hardwood stocks, because sanding is involved, so trying to do this in plastic just won't work.
Life Member of NRA
Lifetime "Conservation Partner" Permit Holder
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

It is a plastic stock. The painting would be just on the stock. Also I hope not to sell but I had a 243 in muddy girl and the husband decided I needed a bigger caliber so I can't guarantee it won't be sold. He likes buying and selling. I don't. Lol. The lady that will paint it is a professional artist and is pretty amazing.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #7

Liked 1572 Times on 885 Posts
Likes Given: 1798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittney View Post
I have a .308 Ruger American that is very plain. I want to have an artist friend of mine paint a nightmare before Christmas scene on the stock. She will use durable outdoor paint and will then clear coat it. My husband has a few concerns that I can't answer. He feels it will lower the value of the gun. I feel it would increase the value. The cost to have her do it is anywhere from $100-$250 depending on how detailed I want it. His other concern is the clear coat will make it unusable. Does anyone have any thoughts?
my two cents worth of opinion.

just painting the stock will more than likely not decrease the value of the gun, as other than a cosmetic issue, will not detract from the rifle being functional and operating. but such custom touches will limit those interested in buying the gun if at some point in the future you decided to sell. and thinking it will increase the value, I highly doubt that, regardless of the artist you use. unless the artist is nationally or internationally famous, I doubt it will have increase in value of the gun.

the type of clear coat used will make a huge difference. depends on how well it will adhere to the stock and also depends on what use the rifle will have. a rifle used primarily for range use, and the clear coat done correctly, it may last for many years. one used in the woods for hunting, not so much. that is why lots of people like using camo paint jobs in flat or satin type finishes for hunting rifles. they don't show scratches and such so much and are very easy to touch-up if needed.

doing such a custom touch to a rifle is purely a person thing and one you will have to make the decision on. I can tell from a personal standpoint, that such a thing might deter some people from buying the rifle if you did decide to sell.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2122 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

As Triumphman said, painting plastic has its problems. There are specialized paints for plastic that bond to the plastic. Other paints will just flake or peel off. If it does not work or hold up you will have an expensive mess to deal with. You might consider painting a wrap like leather that can be removed when hunting or transferred to a different rifle. Leather paints quite well.
Personally if I were looking at a rifle with that type of scene on it I would knock the price down considerably figuring I would have to clean up the stock or replace it and you are only talking about a $300 rifle to start with. Adding a $150 decorative paint job is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. The American is a utilitarian gun. If you want something fancier than put the $150 with it and trade up. Obviously I am siding with your husband. I have a 308 American but my stock is digital camo from the factory. I paid $300 for it new out the door. I did not want a fancy gun I had to be careful with. I have had my share of those.

Last edited by JTJ; 07-11-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:00 AM   #9

Liked 919 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Your project sounds fun!

Some different things Ive seen were air brushed on and clear coated.
Others were engraved or etched.
If it has meaning to you and yours, Id say do it.
File Type: jpeg 2016-07-10-18-39-37-1433303991.jpeg (3.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpeg images-18.jpeg (6.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg images-11.jpeg (3.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg images-5.jpeg (8.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg images-29.jpeg (11.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg images-14.jpeg (12.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg images-19.jpeg (12.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg images-21.jpeg (10.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpeg 2016-07-10-18-53-08-1873430589.jpeg (9.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpeg 2016-07-10-18-58-35-925865294.jpeg (5.2 KB, 49 views)
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
2Penny
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 385 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 429

Try some of the Rustoleum Glow-in-the-Dark paint. It really lights up at night!