Oxidation in the barrel and flash hider. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Oxidation in the barrel and flash hider.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Boresnake that is your biggest problem. Them things are more worthless and a democrat.
What's up with Boresnake's? I've used them every since they were sold and have never had any problems with them. But then again,I only use mine to clean the bore's at the range or in the field. And then I clean(wash) the boresnakes regularly.
They were designed as a cleaning tool,not a complete gun cleaning kit.You still need to clean your guns the old fashion way(right way) before storing them,and that includes a good oiling after you use industrial strength cleaners on metal parts.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
What's up with Boresnake's? I've used them every since they were sold and have never had any problems with them. But then again,I only use mine to clean the bore's at the range or in the field. And then I clean(wash) the boresnakes regularly.
They were designed as a cleaning tool,not a complete gun cleaning kit.You still need to clean your guns the old fashion way(right way) before storing them,and that includes a good oiling after you use industrial strength cleaners on metal parts.
I think there was some concern about using the same boresnake on a barrel that had run corrosive ammo and then through his AR barrel and possibly transfering some of the corrosive agents...As you stated, washing them is a good idea and of course refraining from using corrosive ammo is a good plan too.

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #13

I like boresnakes for cleaning rimfires. Just put a little oil on it, pull it through and I'm done. On centerfires however, I only use them when I'm out and firing a lot of rounds in one day. Pull it through every 50 rounds or so.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Tags
barrel, corrosion, damage, oxidation, rifle