Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is an oversized recoil lug necessary for a 22-250?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is an oversized recoil lug necessary for a 22-250?

Just bought a Rem. SPS varmint and have bought a few upgrades. Was wondering if an oversized recoil lug would benefit this caliber. I understand the Remington uses a washer style lug that is not admired by some, so i thought it may be another upgrade.

So far, i have an HS stock, timney trigger, H-S bottom metal.

Does the Rem recoil lug swap have to be performed by a gunsmith or is it a simple job?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19832 Times on 11259 Posts
Likes Given: 49979

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
Just bought a Rem. SPS varmint and have bought a few upgrades. Was wondering if an oversized recoil lug would benefit this caliber. I understand the Remington uses a washer style lug that is not admired by some, so i thought it may be another upgrade.

So far, i have an HS stock, timney trigger, H-S bottom metal.

Does the Rem recoil lug swap have to be performed by a gunsmith or is it a simple job?

Thanks
yes it will have to be installed by a gunsmith if you choose to use one. the barrel has to be removed, and the barrel will have to be cut appropriately to compensate for the difference in the thickness of the lugs. also the stock will have to be inletted as well to make the up the difference in thickness. without the proper equipment and skills, this IS NOT a DIY self home gunsmithing project. the barrel will have to be headspaced properly when installed again. i repeat, this is not a simple job to be done at home.

the larger recoil lug may or may not be of any advantage on that caliber. and my suggestion would be to proceed with caution and only do it as a last step. usually this is done on rebarrel jobs and bare recievers due to the amount of work involved. it definately will not be cheap if done correctly by a competent gunsmith.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

yes it will have to be installed by a gunsmith if you choose to use one. the barrel has to be removed, and the barrel will have to be cut appropriately to compensate for the difference in the thickness of the lugs. also the stock will have to be inletted as well to make the up the difference in thickness. without the proper equipment and skills, this IS NOT a DIY self home gunsmithing project. the barrel will have to be headspaced properly when installed again. i repeat, this is not a simple job to be done at home.

the larger recoil lug may or may not be of any advantage on that caliber. and my suggestion would be to proceed with caution and only do it as a last step. usually this is done on rebarrel jobs and bare recievers due to the amount of work involved. it definately will not be cheap if done correctly by a competent gunsmith.
$800 or so for ME to do it. I'm bout the cheapest smith I know of. DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!!!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

lol, dont worry- im definately not tackling that one.
thanks guys.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1112 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 521

For general purposes a thicker recoil lug won't make any difference in your rifle.If you were building a custom precision rifle,then they do make a difference.
I install larger recoil lugs on all of my Long range/Target rifles,but they are all Savages,and I can do it myself in just a few minutes.Most other brands will require a gunsmith to do the job.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #6

I see. Thanks for the information.