Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Is an oversized recoil lug necessary for a 22-250? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/oversized-recoil-lug-necessary-22-250-a-75673/)

SEHunter 11-05-2012 02:47 AM

Is an oversized recoil lug necessary for a 22-250?

Just bought a Rem. SPS varmint and have bought a few upgrades. Was wondering if an oversized recoil lug would benefit this caliber. I understand the Remington uses a washer style lug that is not admired by some, so i thought it may be another upgrade.

So far, i have an HS stock, timney trigger, H-S bottom metal.

Does the Rem recoil lug swap have to be performed by a gunsmith or is it a simple job?

Thanks

Axxe55 11-05-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEHunter (Post 1002429)
Just bought a Rem. SPS varmint and have bought a few upgrades. Was wondering if an oversized recoil lug would benefit this caliber. I understand the Remington uses a washer style lug that is not admired by some, so i thought it may be another upgrade.

So far, i have an HS stock, timney trigger, H-S bottom metal.

Does the Rem recoil lug swap have to be performed by a gunsmith or is it a simple job?

Thanks

yes it will have to be installed by a gunsmith if you choose to use one. the barrel has to be removed, and the barrel will have to be cut appropriately to compensate for the difference in the thickness of the lugs. also the stock will have to be inletted as well to make the up the difference in thickness. without the proper equipment and skills, this IS NOT a DIY self home gunsmithing project. the barrel will have to be headspaced properly when installed again. i repeat, this is not a simple job to be done at home.

the larger recoil lug may or may not be of any advantage on that caliber. and my suggestion would be to proceed with caution and only do it as a last step. usually this is done on rebarrel jobs and bare recievers due to the amount of work involved. it definately will not be cheap if done correctly by a competent gunsmith.

Marlinman 11-05-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55

yes it will have to be installed by a gunsmith if you choose to use one. the barrel has to be removed, and the barrel will have to be cut appropriately to compensate for the difference in the thickness of the lugs. also the stock will have to be inletted as well to make the up the difference in thickness. without the proper equipment and skills, this IS NOT a DIY self home gunsmithing project. the barrel will have to be headspaced properly when installed again. i repeat, this is not a simple job to be done at home.

the larger recoil lug may or may not be of any advantage on that caliber. and my suggestion would be to proceed with caution and only do it as a last step. usually this is done on rebarrel jobs and bare recievers due to the amount of work involved. it definately will not be cheap if done correctly by a competent gunsmith.

$800 or so for ME to do it. I'm bout the cheapest smith I know of. DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!!!!!

SEHunter 11-05-2012 11:55 AM

lol, dont worry- im definately not tackling that one.
thanks guys.

Txhillbilly 11-05-2012 02:38 PM

For general purposes a thicker recoil lug won't make any difference in your rifle.If you were building a custom precision rifle,then they do make a difference.
I install larger recoil lugs on all of my Long range/Target rifles,but they are all Savages,and I can do it myself in just a few minutes.Most other brands will require a gunsmith to do the job.

SEHunter 11-05-2012 07:54 PM

I see. Thanks for the information.