Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Out of the Box Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Okay, so let's say you get a nice new "standard" factory hunting rifle in the .243 - .308 .30-06 class calibers -- say a Rem 700 or Savage 10 or Win 70, etc. You're hoping for great MOA out-of-the-box accuracy but 1.5 or even 2 MOA will do you nicely since this is a 300 yard or less deer rifle and toy. How do you treat said gun?

Do you really need to do one of these 1 shot then clean break-in cycles 20 times and then scrupulously clean the bore after every 20 round range session? I like shooting; cleaning not so much. I don't wanna hear theory from metallurgists -- what have folks who actually have one of these semi-tack-drivers really done over time to maintain accuracy without being obsessive-compulsive with cleaning the barrel?

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

There are as many different opinions on this subject as there are stars in the sky. Truth being most quality barrel manufacturers pre lapp their barrels before they go out. However what ever one feels best with is what they should do. Certainly on the side of caution the various break inn methods can not hurt. I Normally shoot one round out of a brand new rifle and then clean. Shoot 2 for a couple of cycles then go to 5 for a couple of cycles then shoot until my heart is content. Not that I really needed to in most cases but just felt better doing it that way. I know a couple of manufacturers that test fire every weapon and upper the ship as well as lapp the barrels prior. Obviously they may have been shot 5-10 times before you ever see them anyway. I have never noticed that doing so had any negative effect on accuracy. If I have a bolt gun that will not shoot a 1MOA to 1 1/2MOA group it finds a new home. So what ever they doing in the lapping process works. So most all good quality rifles are already pre lapped as previously stated. Just meaning the burrs have been removed from the lands and grooves otherwise known as the riflings. Techniques sure vary on this issue.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #23

Every barrel is a little different. At the end of the day braking in a barrel correctly is probably a waste of time if you aren't a serious long range shooter. To sum up breaking in a barrel quickly I would say this. Shoot it once and clean it until you notice a decrease in copper build up/green coloring on your cleaning patches. Then move to three shots and clean until you notice a decrease in copper build up - then 5 shots - and you're done. It shouldn't take more than 20-40 rounds and about an hour or two. Will this really make your gun more accurate? probably... is it worth the time? YES. You need to shoot your gun anyways to get the feel of things and sight it in. So you can practice you 3 and 5 shot groups as you break it in. It's always good practice even if breaking in a barrel is just hokus pokus.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #24

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

if a rifle only hold 2 MOA I sell it and get a different rifle.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

capttango

I am with you! I am an accuracy freak I must confess. As well as most of us here are called Gun Nuts by some! They are correct and I am proud of it and our heritage!
Spent a lot of years on the bench rest and behind sniper quality rifles.
What a lot of guys may not realize is without any other outside influences if a rifle shoots a 2 MOA Group at 100 Yards it with that factor alone and no other influences like movement, little jerk on the trigger, recoil anticipation and other elements will be off 4 inches at 200 yards 6 inches at 300 yards and 8 inches at 400. Might be just enough to wreck your hunt or shooting event. If you are varmint hunting for example 4 inches at 200 would be a miss! On deer it might not hit the lungs or heart area. So to your comment the weapons I keep that can not produce a 1 MOA or preferably a sub-MOA Group are wall hangers and collectibles. The others find a new home!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #26

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

** bump **

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you Cane!! Very good info.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #28

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Great article Cane. As far as getting rid of a rifle that only shoots 2 MOA, I try to find out why and correct it. If its an old war club I usually overlook it and keep it around, If its a hunting rifle, 2 MOA is fine at a lot of places I hunt. 90% of the deer I've taken have been 50 yards or less. 2 MOA @ 50 yds is 1 inch. I wouldnt want to hunt groung hogs with it but I've shot them at 400 yds. and usually 200-300 yds.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #29

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

** bump **

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #30

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I'm not disputing your 2 and 4 meter practice but can you tell me your reasoning if your relatively adept at 7 yards why you would need to practice at shorter ranges? Just curious. I am new at carring SD and have a need to know more than I do at this point.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.