Options for a lefty?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Options for a lefty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Options for a lefty?

Im looking for acurate rifle to begin hunting with, but im a lefty... Yes I know "stupid lefty" but im I want to consider my options, but im only looking to pay around $600... If thats not in the price range then I guess a right handed rifle will do. Any sugestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10746 Times on 4649 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

Hunt WHAT? R U looking for a .22, shotgun, or bazooka?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #3

Lol good point... Maybe a .308... Im not sure ive never been hunting but I assume something big enoff to take out a bear if needed but I figure a buck... I shoot mainly my hand guns and my Ak... I dont know alot about long ranged rifles

Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewdo View Post
Lol good point... Maybe a .308... Im not sure ive never been hunting but I assume something big enoff to take out a bear if needed but I figure a buck... I shoot mainly my hand guns and my Ak... I dont know alot about long ranged rifles
Where do you live? Are you going to spend more time shooting this at the range or will it be a sole hunting rifle with minimum use except for during season?

As c3 stated, a small amount of background information would be us greatly.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 AM   #5

I live in Washington state, yeah ill definitely be shooting it alot at the range but I would want to go out hunting with it, maybe twice a year.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

i know savage makes lefty bolt guns that eject to the right along with left with left eject.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #7

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewdo View Post
I live in Washington state, yeah ill definitely be shooting it alot at the range but I would want to go out hunting with it, maybe twice a year.
WA is a big state...Where in WA do you intend to hunt deer?

Western Blacktail are quite a bit smaller than Eastern Whitetail and typical engagement distances vary in huge degrees across the state.

TACK

Old 10-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #8

Yeah that wouldnt be a bad option, im looking to shoot probley up to 200 yards... Do you know around how much?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #9

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewdo
Im looking for acurate rifle to begin hunting with, but im a lefty... Yes I know "stupid lefty" but im I want to consider my options, but im only looking to pay around $600... If thats not in the price range then I guess a right handed rifle will do. Any sugestions?
Dont feel to bad because im an odd shooter myself. I shoot pistols right handed, i shoot my M4 right handed, but i shoot shotguns and high powered rifles left handed.i dont know why, ive just naturally done it that way since i was a kid

Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #10

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of hunting! I can't imagine life without being able to go hunting. I'm a lefty also. I have a Remington 7600 pump in 30-06 that is very accurate and works great for me. The Savage bolt actions are great rifles and one of the few out there available to us left handers. Savage has always been one of the more reasonable rifles cost wise so I'd suggest shopping around. Check out this site:
Recommended Centerfire Hunting Rifles
There's quite a few out there but most are pricier than the Savage. Here's what I found on the Savage web site:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/ You can easily search for just what you want. There's a couple there that MSRP at around $600 so you should be able to get one with a scope ready to go for the money you're looking at.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

Jeff Cooper

Last edited by jeepejeep; 10-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.