optics question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

optics question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default optics question

I inherited a 76 weatherby mark v in .300 weatherby mag, it has a Redfield 2x7 which I feel is a little small for the gun, plus the cross hairs are bent, anybody have any advice on what a good piece of glass would be for under $500, I would a night force beast, but don't really feel like spending $3,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

intent and purpose? Hunting paper targets at the range? Dangerous Game? Plinking out in the deserts? Thick forests and willow & alder patches? Open prairie or canyon shots? Low light conditions?

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 08-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

since its going on a hunting rifle check out the trijicon accupoint series. ive got one of their mildot with the green center dot in 3-9x simply amazing for hunting.

the lowlight clarity is fantastic the green dot never gets bright enough to kill lowlight eyesight and shifts automatically from fiber optic powered to tritium powered as the light changes.

HIGHLY recomend one

a little cheaper but really usable is the nikon m-308 with the nikon spot on software its bdc is useable with any caliber in any magnification. its a 3-15 power and based off the monarch line. its a decent lower end scope with good glass.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 08-05-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's going to be used for mainly long range, probably bear (the biggest thing I hunt in Nc), I'm just looking for a cost efficient scope that will let see a ways out, I have a rifle for 500 and in, I want the .300 to be the "reach out and touch somethin" gun

Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

To keep it cheaper, I have to agree with JonM on the Nikon line. For the price, they are some of the clearest and brightest I have used. Go to Nikon's site and fit the scope you need then shop the Internet by Model number. For hands-on examples, most big box sporting goods stores carry the Nikon line.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #6

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

May want to take a look at the Weaver Classic Extreme scopes that www.natchezss.com has on sale. Price is reduced around 40% on them.

Several of my scope savvy range members purchased one of them, one guy bought two....think the 8-32x50mm models. All agree the optics in theirs is very good and have no complaints about any of the adjustments for focus, parallax, windage and etc. These guys are pretty serious shooters with some darn nice custom rifles and etc.

Negative aspect of the Classic Extreme experienced by my buddies: Each were surprised by the long eye relief in them. Basically, they thought the Extremes had longest eye relief of any typical rifle scope they'd ever viewed thru. Each had to mount their scope as far forward in their mounts as possible. One guy had a problem out of the box with his. When bore sighting his scope, noticed something wrong with the elevation turret adjustment. Crosshair moved when he twisted turret, but seem to recall their was very little up adjustment and a lot of downward adjustment. Phone call to Natchez to discuss problem resulted in him getting a new replacement scope very quickly. No problem with the replacement scope.

Their is a 4.4-14x50mm Extreme in a couple of different reticles, all have illuminated reticles.....priced $300 or $330 plus shipping.

Also, you might want to take a look at Weaver Grand Slams or Super Slams at Natchez, also on sale. Own a couple of the Super Slams myself....darn nice scopes.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

I am a big fan of Burris optics. Several to choose from in your price range too. Burris also stands behind their product. It doesnt matter if you buy a broken one at a garage sale, they'll fix it or replace it. Standing behind their product is a very nice extra touch, at least to me. I havent needed to send any to them, but have talked to them on the phone and they seem very accommodating. Just a suggestion to check them out, not trying to sell their product. I use a couple of the Fullfield 2 6.5-20x50 models with the ballistic mildot (about $450) and have no complaints. Bright, clear, and dependable.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudmanj View Post
It's going to be used for mainly long range, probably bear (the biggest thing I hunt in Nc), I'm just looking for a cost efficient scope that will let see a ways out, I have a rifle for 500 and in, I want the .300 to be the "reach out and touch somethin" gun
I like 3x9x40s for an optic for a rifle. For bears, you might have to go into some thick stuff if you wound it and can't get a second or 3rd shot off at it. My rifle for that kind of stuff has a 1.75x6 on it.
I suggest you go to a large box store (like a Cabelas type store) that has a huge selection of scopes, and look through all of them in the price range you are willing to pay.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone, I've been looking around and I think I'll probably go with a nikon, they have the range of magnification I'm looking for at the price I am willing to pay, I think a 4x16 or 5x20 is what I'm looking for

Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Nothing wrong with Nikon, that I know of. I doubt youll be disappointed.