Opinions of the Remington 7600 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Opinions of the Remington 7600

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 601 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I have some friends in Pa., that swear by 760's and the newer 7600's. A semi- auto is not legal there and they like ctg. offerings in the Rem. vs. most of the lever actions available. They mostly hunt in the hills and like the quick follow up shots that the pump action provides. I've shot them and they performed very well with low magnification scopes. Very handy rifles, although I prefer my Mauser in 7mm Rem. Mag.

Good hunting,
Jeff

Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #12

A model 760 in 270 was the very first rifle I bought for myself after getting out on my own - you know I just couldn't use/have the same style or type of rifle my dad had let me use growing up ;-). I'm going to assume the newer 7600 is similar to the previous model in most respects. It was/is a good rifle within the limitations of the design.

It was accurate, but tended to string shots vertically. After I got some training/started gunsmithing, I disassembled it and found that the barrel lug was uneven/did not contact the receiver evenly. Some very light polishing remedied the problem and the groups stopped stringing and shrank from slightly over 1" to around .75 to .625.

My biggest issue was and remians the trigger which is why I eventually sold it and moved to a bolt action. Out of the box the trigger was heavy with creep and over travel (eventually measured at approx 11 lb pull). Hunting required a good setup with plenty of time to squeeze the trigger ;-) . I stoned the bearing surfaces and made it smoother, but it was/is a non adjustable design with some cast/pot metal parts; additionally no one was willing to make an alternative spring and some bad things happened to some who tried clipping coils.

My experience with it is why I won't consider or even look at any of the various pump or semi-auto hunting rifles available - I can't / won't tolerate the triggers associated with that design for hunting purposes.

It boils down to what you want and are willing to accept as compromises for that rifle design. I have no doubt it, like most rifles, is more accurate than most shooters.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #13

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I've hunted with my 760 30.06 for over 20 years. Every time I take it to the range just to make sure it is still on, it shoots a 3 round less than 1" group 1" high at 100 yds. with the cheap Tasco scope that came on it when I bought it. I have not had the caps off the scope since the first time I sighted it in! I have several bolt actions, but none that I have any more confidence in than my pump. I do believe bolt actions are more consistant than pumps in general but mine seems to be a fine shooter.