opinions on a new bolt gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > opinions on a new bolt gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Default opinions on a new bolt gun

im looking at a new rifle end of the month and the top rifle atm is this CZ550UCS the reason i like it is the really nice set trigger big 10 round detachable box mag its also got a threaded barrel. the one thing that has me a bit concerned is the ultra short barrel

another one im considering is this Savage Arms Firearms > 10 FCP-SR not crazy about the digi cam stock.

another is this one Savage Arms Firearms > 110 BA but im not too crazy about all the rails kinda detracts. but i really like adjustable for length and cheek weld stock a LOT. the 300winmag holds 6 the 338 holds 5

i know its cross caliber between 308 300 winmag and 338 lapua but i reload so ammo price isnt that much of an issue. im more concerned about overall quality and feature package along with accuracy

the savage models are longer and heavier than the CZ but im from czech descent and thats a big draw to me along with the weight and length factors. i do intend to add a suppressor

general opinions wanted, ammo cost isnt a factor, and am i missing other quality bolt guns along these lines with detachable mags.

i dont want a custom rifle built and a remington is not on my list either mainly due to the issues i personally have loading the internal magazines.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Hey Jon,The CZ should be a great gun but it sure is pricey compared to a Savage.
I really enjoy shooting my Savage 10FCP,it even shoots better than my 12FLV.
My 10FCP was a Cabelas exclusive,and came with a Choate Tactical stock for $699,and I've seen them on sell at Cabelas for $649.It has a detachable magazine (only 4 rds),24" barrel,and a 1-10 twist.My smallest group to date with 208gr AMax's is .223",so it does shoot very well.

If you were wanting a higher capacity magazine,there is a kit available for the Savage,and you still wouldn't be anywhere near the price of the CZ.
Here's a link to it-
http://www.tacticalworks.com/CDI-Precision-Drop-Box-Mag.-Savage-Short-Action.html

I've shot the 10 BA,and the 110 BA.They are neat rifles,but they don't shoot any better than the standard style stocked Savages,so to me they aren't worth the extra $$$.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 09-13-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Thanks. One thing i forgot to add to that list is it must have a thicker than pencil barrel to enable 5 shot strings without excessive heat buildup. Its one consideration heavily against the 300 and 338 chamberings as both those have massive heat signature compaired to the 308.

I would kinda like savage since i might be able to swing a super nice scope on the deal. The negative on the cz is i will be forced to use my older leupold because of the much higher price point.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-13-2011 at 04:19 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Jon,you might also check out the Tikka Varminter,or Tactical rifle.They're pretty good shooters too!

Tikka T3 Varmint

Tikka T3 Super Varmint

Tikka T3 TAC

Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another rifle you might want to look at is Ruger's new Gunsite scout rifle, its a lot like the CZ but has iron sights, forward mounted picattiny rail, integral scope mounts, and the stock is adjstable for length of pull,all that and at less than half the cost of the CZ, oh and its in .308

Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Jon,you might also check out the Tikka Varminter,or Tactical rifle.They're pretty good shooters too!

Tikka T3 Varmint

Tikka T3 Super Varmint

Tikka T3 TAC
I didnt even know tikka/sako made a rifle like that. Thanks for the info ill look at that one too. I likethe tac version with the threaded barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake15 View Post
Another rifle you might want to look at is Ruger's new Gunsite scout rifle, its a lot like the CZ but has iron sights, forward mounted picattiny rail, integral scope mounts, and the stock is adjstable for length of pull,all that and at less than half the cost of the CZ, oh and its in .308
Thanks but i dont care for that rifle its a mishmash of the wrong features. The whole scout concept is a bad idea. To make a scope work on it would require use of a short range pistol scope which really suck worse than open sights since the parralax is really wrong when applied to long range rifle use.

The other issue i have with ruger centerfire rifles is the lack of quality on finished parts. It really isnt that good. Ruger triggers arent very good either. Even the rimfire ones really have to be replaced to get good performance.

If i went with their gsr i would have to rebarrel it for accuracy, new bedded stock, target grade trigger, remove the rear sight and drill/tap the reciever for a proper scope mount.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't see why you would have to change anything on the gsr, yes you can use a low power forward mounted scope, but its already set up to mount a scope over the receiver like normal, rear sight was designed so that it wouldn't get in the way of the scope. I've also seen guys get 1 1/2 moa out of the factory barrel easy, and yes Ruger used to have some problems with quality, but the new ones are fit and finished incredibly well. The trigger is a little funny, but easily fixed, and other than that its a well designed rifle for serious shooters who know what they want, not that I'm trying to change your mind or convince you that its better than the rest, this is just my humble opinion.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Tikka T3 Varmint

Tikka T3 Super Varmint

Tikka T3 TAC
+1 on the Tikka rifles. I have a .308Win Super Varmint model with a supressor, the accuracy (1MOA guarantee) and trigger are pretty decent from the factory, barrel´s free floated, but the stock has a cheapish feel to it although it does work and doesn´t flex. LOP is adjustable with spacers.

There are also aftermarket parts available, stocks from Manners, magazine kits from Roeadale etc.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Im not bashing your opinion the gsr is just not what im looking for. I need a sub moa rifle out of the box that im not going to have to mod to get it to run the way i want. The gsr is fine as a open sighted 100 yard brush gun but its not a rifle suited to do anything well.

The gsr is just a standard m77 with a few features added. The box mag is good but the rest just doesnt cut it. The samples ive seen in gunshows and gun stores around here i wasnt very impressed. Ruger isnt well known for getting the scope mount holes inline with axis of the barrel. What that means is if its just a hair off your 100 yard zero is either off left or right at longer ranges

Companies who build accurate rifles designed for accuracy do a very good qa on making sure bore axis and scope base are aligned properly. Its not a big deal for a company like ruger whose products arent liekly to be used in a long range precision role.

Ive already tried a remington 700 xcr. sold it cuz it didnt meet my needs.

Some others im ruling out for similar and other reasons are winchester, remington and kimber.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Have you looked at Thompson Center Icons? They have detachable magazines and < 1 MOA accuracy. The Icon Warlord looks like exactly what you are seeking, but it is a bit pricey.