Opinions needed: Springfield SOCOM 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Opinions needed: Springfield SOCOM 16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Opinions needed: Springfield SOCOM 16

I'm looking at purchasing a high-end rifle for target shooting, hunting and the like. Recently I was turned onto Springfield Armory's SOCOM 16 and SOCOM II rifles.. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they good rifles? I know they're a little spendy, so I was looking for some opinions before I plunk down for one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unless you have a reason to buy the shorter SOCOM, I recommend you consider a standard length M1a. Parts availability and upgrades are more abundant, and the longer sight radius will enhance accuracy- a feature you want if your intentions are to hunt and target shoot, assuming you intend to use iron sights.

Bryan

God, grant me the courage to do what I know is right, even when I think it is hopeless.

www.michiganmilitia.com

Last edited by Declaration Day; 04-12-2007 at 01:49 AM.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #3

hOW MUCH DO THEY RUN?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #4

The SA M1 type start around $1000 for a basic model and go up from there.

MY DOG IS SMARTER THAN MOST POLITICIANS

Old 04-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #5

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

For Target and Hunting a bolt gun may be a better choice. Some states have Magazine restrictions and the M1A may not fit the bill. I am not sure if 5 round Mags are available for it. If your heart is set on a semi-auto, than there are hunting rifles available such as the 750 Woodmaster. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_750_woodsmaster.asp
There is no do all rifle, most are pretty specific as far as usage. Jim

Old 04-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #6

The SOCOM is a very heavy rifle, desirable in a high-powered semi-auto battle rifle in terms of taming recoil, but very undesirable in terms of "carryability." I'd look hard at bolt guns for many of the reasons already mentioned. You can get an off the shelf Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic .308 at about half the weight of the SOCOM... Along the same line, you can find a Kimber Montana in .308 just under 6 lbs., an exquiste rifle and featherweight to boot!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #7

No one rifle ,no matter how expensive, can function well in both the diciplines you mention. The SOCOM 16 IS A POOR CHOICE FOR EITHER TARGET WORK OR HUNTING. You could possibly get it to function well as a plinker!
Do you want a military rifle? Fine. Buy a military rifle. Just consider this. What were they designed for? Being used by soldiers who lay down a field of fire against other soldiers. You don't need too much accuracy for that, do you? It is way too heavy because the designers engineered for ruggedness and tolerances were not tight to compensate for variances in ammo and to make it function in mud and water. Do you enjoy toting a 8 -10 # rifle all day hunting?

I don't mean to be harsh but YOU need to determine what purposes you are purchasing a rifle for.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:24 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Look at the longer M1As. They are capable of being MOA guns, but they are heavy. They weigh in at about 9# before ammo. With match ammo and good optics, you can keep up with bolt guns chambered in .308.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #9

Drake, FWIW I own a SOCOM 16. I've hunted big game with everything from a modern lightweight sub-MOA optic sighted bolt gun to a traditional muzzleloader and everything in between...heck I've even hunted with a shotgun using slugs. I haven't hunted with the SOCOM...but I would with certain restrictions/limitations placed upon myself.

The last few years I've religated to hunting the way my grandfather did with an open-sighted, 9 pound, 50-70 Sharps using black powder cartridges. I'm enjoying hunting with it so much that I've settled on the fact that I'll never go back to modern bolt guns again and am planning on hunting moose in Canada and bison on the plains with it.

Is it heavy - yes, is it bulky -yes, do I get exhausted packing it up/down the Cascades-yes ..but I've developed the mindset, skills, and approprate determination that is how I want to hunt and recognize I have some limitations compaired to someone hunting with an optic topped, flat shooting, 1000 yard bolt gun. I have and will continue to pass up nice animals because of the rifle/cartridge and my limitations.

None of what I just stated matters one hoot other than you can pretty much hunt with anything you want AS LONG as you understanding your capablity and competency as a hunter and you understand the capability of the tool you've chosen to hunt with ...and you live and operate within those self-imposed limitations.

The SOCOM 16 is a mighty fine rifle within the framework of what it is designed for. It will harvest most big game at distances up to 150 to 200 yards if you train and practice with it. It is not a sub MOA rifle so don't ask it to do that tasking. Compared to dedicated modern "hunting" rifles it not as lightweight, packable, or as accurate. The sights are not what I would call ideal but they will work. They are designed for the rigors of combat. You can go to the range and develop a MPBR for the SOCOM that will work for hunting the game you want to harvest. It all depends upon what you want to do and what you're willing to live with and if you're willing to put in the homework and trigger time to be prepared.

Modern flat shooting optic sighted guns cover a multitude of sins...they seem to level the field for those who chose not to train or practice until a week before hunting season...you can't do that with the SOCOM. You're going to need to spend some time at the range getting really dialed in. A bolt gun will allow you to shoot just about any reasonable load and bullet combo...the SOCOM is going to be much more limiting.

For serious target work I would look to something else...perhaps as previously recommended... to the target/match grade M1A's that are built and designed for target work because you will be disappointed in the SOCOM for target work.

If you're wanting to drop some serious coin on one rifle that will do both tasks then the SOCOM is probably not the best choice.

www.ofagear.com - OFA's On-Line Pro Shop

Fast is fine...but the Jury is Final!

Last edited by OFADAN; 09-11-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #10

If I had to grab one rifle for all reasons it would be my M1A SOCOM. I don't have much use for all the rails the SOCOM II has-but they are removeable, so may be a good option. You can mount either a Scout type LER scope on the barrel or the more conventional side-mount wll work. Bust your scope and you still have excellent iron sights. Around my area SOCOM's go for around $1,300 or so, last time I looked. An excellent combat/hunting rifle, but not a target rifle. The target grade M1A's are best treated kindly to maintain their POI and accuracy standards, so are best kept on the range, IMHO.