Opinions on my first bolt-action purchase!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Opinions on my first bolt-action purchase!

View Poll Results: For the price I paid, did I get a good deal for my first bolt-action?
Yes 7 87.50%
No 0 0%
You should have saved up and bought a cheytac... 0 0%
Why am I still awake? 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Opinions on my first bolt-action purchase!

So guys, I pulled the trigger on my first bolt action rifle today. I bought the wife the kitchenaid mixer she has always wanted so I got the green light to buy a rifle, the only downsize was the price range I was at didn't allow me much room to browse.

I had a rifle in mind I had seen at my local gun shop, the always amazing Ron and Joes in O'Fallon IL, and bought it today. For 389.99 i picked up a savage model 10 trophy hunter xp in .308 with the accutrigger and a synthetic stock. All the research I did said that the model 10 comes with a wooden stock, so I'm not sure what the synthetic stock is, it looks like what comes with the model 11 (nothing special). It also came with rings and a buschnell 3x9x40 scope that I can only assume is garbage but hey, it's glass to start with.

Two of my buddies went out and picked up remington 700s and, knowing little about bolt actions other than what I can only guess is this hype surrounding the 700s because "It's what the marines use!", I was really hesitant to buy anything BUT a 700 for my first rifle. It would seem that even the marines use the 700 but heavily modify it, so I take that with a grain of salt.

The rifle looks like it has been shot a few times, in my limited experience guessing I would say a few hundred rounds, and Ron and Joes did a good job polishing it up.

What say you guys about the brand and the price? Did I make a good choice for my first bolt action?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

For the life of me I can't understand all the hype about Remingtons either, but each to their own. As for your price, if you are happy when you paid for it, that is all that matters, anytime you keep looking and questioning prices afterwards you will always regret buying it that first time. Enjoy the heck out of it and post some pics of it, or else

Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
For the life of me I can't understand all the hype about Remingtons either, but each to their own. As for your price, if you are happy when you paid for it, that is all that matters, anytime you keep looking and questioning prices afterwards you will always regret buying it that first time. Enjoy the heck out of it and post some pics of it, or else
Hah, yea, I'll post some pics as soon as I pick it up tomorrow!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

The price you paid is not out of line. Savage makes a good gun, Remington makes a good gun, Ruger makes a good gun, Winchester makes a good gun. Never understood the fascination with trying to figure out why one over the other and why other people buy what they do. I am a Remington fan because all the 700s I have bought (quite a few over the years) have worked great and have been fine shooters. But I have many other rifles from other companies that have served me well too. The military uses Remington's because they are tough, dependable, easy to work on and accurize.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

with most current modern bolt action rifles, it's accuracy is more dependent upon the shooter and not the rifle. most firearms are more accurate than most people who shoot them.

i think the choice you made is a good one if that is the one that pleases you. you have no reason to justify the price to me or anyone else as long as you are pleased with it. IMO, i see the price as reasonable.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

You'll be happy with the savage. And is the synthetic stock the accustock perhaps? If not there are cheap ways to stiffen the forearm. I inlaid 2 old aluminum arrow shafts with apoxy and it made quite a difference while keeping weight down. Also if I remember right the model 10(308) is the short action and model 11 is the long action(30-06).

Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2731

Don't ever worry about the price of something after you've already bought it. You will always see it for less than you paid later on. It's just Murphy's law. Now take that rifle out and shoot it. I suspect you're going to be pretty happy with it.

As for the hype about Remingtons - I've got a Remington 514 .22 bolt action that was handed down to me. It was made in 1948 and still shoots great. It's as simple as it can be and there's nothing fancy about it, and that's in part what makes it so good. That's what the older Remington's like the M700 are all about. They aren't the prettiest, fanciest, or smoothest guns out there but they are simple and they just keep working. I'm a Remington fan but I'll be the first to admit that there is a lot of hype surrounding Model 700's. They really aren't special when it comes to any one thing, but they do keep on working very very well.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Most of the bolt actions I've had over the years were either Remington's or Savage's, they were ( and are) accurate, affordable, and most important to me, available in left hand models ! I've played around with most of the popular big game cartridges, from .270 to .338 Mag. ( and levers like 38-55 and 45/70), but am finding the .308 is my favorite all around cartridge. I am fortunate to live where there is an amazing variety of big game, and find the .308, with proper bullets, is fine for just about all of them. Todd, you've made a good selection !

Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7018Dan View Post
Also if I remember right the model 10(308) is the short action and model 11 is the long action(30-06).
Dan,All two digit model numbers on a Savage is for Short actions - 10/11/12/14/and 16. The Long actions have three digits - 110/111/112/114/and 116.

Congrats Todd,The rifle you bought should be a model 11 package rifle,they are a great hunting rifle with an Accustock and Accutrigger.The scope that comes on that rifle is useful,but not a high quality optic.

Enjoy your new rifle. Don't forget to thoroughly clean it before shooting it.
Savage bolts will seem stiff for a while,but after they get broke in,they get a lot smoother to operate.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

U got me. Forgetfulness haha.