Opinions? Hand rubbed oil or nothing?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Opinions? Hand rubbed oil or nothing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Opinions? Hand rubbed oil or nothing?

high gloss or matt finnish

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 08-14-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: To the point.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd put an after market plastic stock on it and not worry about the finish on the wood stock. With me, the first scratch I put in any new wood stock really pisses me off.

As for as finish, only you can decide what you like.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm sorry it's disappointing. A new rifle should not be a disappointment in any way. It's your rifle, do whatever will make you happy with it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You can probably remove the old finish with 0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol.
Try to get it down to the bare wood. If it is walnut no stain will be necessary but if another wood some light stain may be desired.
I handrubbed two of my M1A stocks and a couple of M1 Garand stocks with Birchwood Caseys Truoil. It makes for a beautiful piece of wood on a rifle. Some finishers like Tung Oil.
You will just continue to rub the Truoil into the stock until you get the finish you desire. It really brings out the nice grain in good walnut.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #5

I know its my choice, and its not a disappointment as far as the gun goes but I expected a lot more from Ruger. I asked for opinions! I know how to finish as I have made several stocks from TREES. I have refinished Many stocks for many people. I just asked for opinions. I will probably wipe the stock down with a petrolieum based cleaner and apply 10 or 15 coats of tung oil and let the wood decide. Thanks for all the expert advice. Sorry I asked for advice from those who have no opinion. It's a 243, I have a beautiful Remy 700 243 that shoots less than .325 MOA. I just wanted to justify owning another 243 that will probably will not shoot any better or ever look as nice as the Remy. My second option is to trade it for another caliber, Maybe a 223. As a general rule, Most of my low budget rifles can be improved. Thats what I do. I don't sell my guns and am never completely satisfied with them. I like wood or Plastic but if it gets a scratch, Its from use so I live with it or I fix it. I love shooting but that is only part of my love of guns. Although my knowledge is somewhat limited, I like to fix what I can. I am not a gunsmith by any stretch of the meaning but I can fix or make just about anything. Gunsmithing is not only a skill but a vast knowledge. I have most of the skill and a small amount of the knowledge. I ONLY ASKED FOR OPINIONS. I appreciate the advice on how to finish but a non commital its your gun is almost as good as a plastic stock.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 08-14-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well, just pardon me all to hell!! I guess I misread your intent. Please excuse my ignorance.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I say trade it. You're not happy with it, spending a lot of time will make you less unhappy with it but somewhat resentful that you had to spend the time on it. So trade it for something you like.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I personally think a semi-gloss stock is best. It brings out the grain/figure but is not glaring. That's the way I finish most of my stocks. But then that's just my opinion.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #9

Thanks Bear. Thats what I was asking for, your opinion. I value your opinion as you seem to know more about what you are talking about than most. Ill probably do a tung oil finish and Quit rubbing somewhere between semi and high gloss. Some people don't understand the enjoyment one can get out of working on a stock. The beauty is in the wood, you just make it come out. I'm thinking of doing some sort of functional sculpting to the forestock to make a rather blah rifle into something that is more appealing to the eye,

Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 08-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #10

I like the look of a dark-stained linseed oil finish, such as found on many older rifles. I have found basic hardware store boiled linseed oil to work very well for a stained bare stock. I'm not much for high gloss finishes.