Opinions about Rem. 700 SPS? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Opinions about Rem. 700 SPS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Honestly...

Never mind, it'll have to wait until after SHOT '09.

What?

Either you don't believe me. Or you think you WON'T be impressed with the new platform.

Trust me - This new platform is a complete departure from everything that is out there right now on the civilian, or Military, market.

Or, I could be completely wrong and this platform will be another in a long line of Remington "Could of's".

JD

Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
What?

Either you don't believe me. Or you think you WON'T be impressed with the new platform.

Trust me - This new platform is a complete departure from everything that is out there right now on the civilian, or Military, market.

Or, I could be completely wrong and this platform will be another in a long line of Remington "Could of's".

JD
I'm so incredibly excited to see what they've done. I really hope they haven't pissed off the military community so much that they can't save their name.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-19-2009 at 06:47 AM.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 58

In my opinion the Remington 700 SPS is a good buy for the money, if you plan on hunting with it. Let me say this, if I had to shoot a bad guy from distance, in order to save a hostage, I would pull my Savage mod 10 LE from the safe, but if I am going out for an all day hunt for dear or pigs I would take the Remington. I guess it all boils down to what you are going to do with it.
The Savage I have is a Law Enforcement mod 10. It is chambered in .308, and has either a McMillian or a H-S Precision stock(I dont remember which one it is). It also has a big heavy barrel and truly looks, feels, and shoots like a sniper rifle. I have seen it shoot a 5 shot group at 100yrds. that all five holes could be covered by a nickle. Very good shooting gun, i love the Accu-trigger. The bigest draw back for the Savage is that it is so heavy, I meen it is very heavy. I would not want to carry this thing around much.
The Remington 700 sps is chambered in 7mm rem mag. I have been so happy with this rifle. It took a while to find out which factory ammo it liked, but one I found out, I can shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yrds all day long. I have had the Remington for about 2 years now and have never had a problem. It has dropped every pig I have shot at in their tracks. It weighs considerably less than the Savage. The Remington cost a little less than the Savage, and I find myself shooting it more than the Savage. I have also become a big fan of the 7mm rem mag, over just a .308.
These are just my opinions and what I have experienced with the firearms I have, but if you are asking about a good hunting gun, then buy the Remington and you will be happy, but if you are looking to shoot wings off of flys, then go buy a Savage.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 AM   #14

I went to my dealer today, when I walked in I overheard one of the salesmen on the phone explaining to a guy that they sold every SPS that came through the door as quick as they put it on the rack, and he didn't know when he would get anymore. I didn't even get to ask for it.....
Guess I'll wait and see on that one.

Thanks, Truevil for the input. You hit the nail right on the head for me. I intend to use this gun for hunting and some somewhat distant plinking, and it sounds like it will fit the bill. I'm not getting a Rem 700 Mil Spec R5 that I had put money on because I know at this point I cannot meet the capabilities of the gun. Will spend some quality trigger time over the next year or so and then re-evaluate.

I actually want to learn a little more about the new rifle Rem. is putting out that Dillinger spoke of. Sound like it might be worth saving for..... Dillinger, once the newness and hype has died down, do you thing this new rifle will be around a $1000 or so, or will it be much more?

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Remington's new offering is for the Military Only at this point.

I should have "clearance" from the man to go ahead and post pictures by tomorrow night, hopefully. *crossing fingers* You ever try to force a former operator to give you something you want? It doesn't go over too well... LOL

No brother, I don't see Remington's new platform EVER coming into the $1K neighborhood.

If ( when ) they get the Military contract for the new Sniper Platform, that should go a long ways to recouping their massive R & D costs -but it will be years before it's available on the civilian market, and then it will be pretty pricey.

Your best hope is that Remington decides to double market it, but in a short action version for the Police/SWAT units. At least then it will be available in the civilian world.

More to follow....

JD