Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Opinions about Rem. 700 SPS? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/opinions-about-rem-700-sps-10064/)

Curt33 01-17-2009 09:00 PM

Opinions about Rem. 700 SPS?

Anyone on here have any experience or opinions on Remington's 700 SPS?
How accurate? Worth the money? I know some of the weaknesses of the 700's, but overall, is it worth having? Why or why not?

Thanks, guys. I do not have any experience with tacticle rifles, and I value the opinions of you guys that do.

Dillinger 01-17-2009 09:07 PM

Yeah, I have some pretty strong opinions against the Remington 700 as a tactical choice.

But a lot of the guys here like them.

It's a personal thing.....

Here's a link to some side by side comparisons.... Link.

JD

*paging cpttango*

matt g 01-17-2009 09:45 PM

Winchester Model 70 controlled feed.

hillbilly68 01-17-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 63345)
Winchester Model 70 controlled feed.

Pre 64. But for the rest of us, SPS is a good platform. There are better, but there is plenty of room and availability for upgrades. Me...I really enjoy shooting mine. It shoots a heck of a lot better than I can. Ypu thinking of getting one?

matt g 01-18-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 63346)
Pre 64. But for the rest of us, SPS is a good platform. There are better, but there is plenty of room and availability for upgrades. Me...I really enjoy shooting mine. It shoots a heck of a lot better than I can. Ypu thinking of getting one?

The new 'Classic' or controlled feed models are almost as good as the pre-'64s, but at less cost.

cpttango30 01-18-2009 07:52 PM

the SPS is a sad example of a Remington 700. The finish is poor the stocks are injection molded PLASTIC made the same way as TOYS. The look good to a point but they are hollow. When you pull the trigger you hear the reverb through the stock. The fit and finish of the overall rifle is worse than a chineese made airsoft gun. Go with a Savage rifle and you will be much happier. I personaly don't care abotu push feed or controled feed. Neither has ever given me a problem. Some claim the extractor breaks on the 700 but I hunt with a bunch of guys that all use 700 not a single one has ever broken. One guy even has a custom rifle in 338 edge (300rum necked up to 338) this round almost duplicates 338 Lapua balistics. Still not a problem with the extrctor or ejector. Plus most people couldn't tell you the differance between controlled feed or pushfeed.

If you are set on a Remington get one of the higher end models like the VSSF, VLS ect....

Curt33 01-18-2009 11:38 PM

Thank you men for your opinions. I see the shortcomings you guys have pointed out, and will take a good hard look when I get see one in the flesh(haven't made it to the dealer yet to even put my hands on one.) Do any of you folks know how well it shoots? Is it fairly accurate? Kinda hate to hear that about the crappy stock. At least I will be informed before I put any money on the table.

Dillinger 01-18-2009 11:59 PM

That depends - What are you looking for in "accuracy" ?

MOA - Minute of Angle? This gun will probably shoot it, in the right hands.

Minute of Bad Guy? This gun will shoot it all day long, assuming Center Mass is your definition of Minute of Bad Guy.

SUB MOA? This gun will probably NOT shoot it unless you plan on doing a lot of work to it and using custom hand loads, or you are ONE HELL of a marksman.

Is it capable of shooting SUB MOA? Sure, but you are going to end up scrapping half the initial components and replacing them with aftermarket parts.

The question then becomes, how much do YOU want to spend for the level of accuracy YOU are looking to obtain???

JD

Dillinger 01-19-2009 12:00 AM

PS - If all plays out well this next week, I will be posting a picture and write up of the new Remington MPD Sniper Submission that was debuted at SHOT 2009. :D

This is a Remington Rifle that EVERYONE is going to want....

JD

matt g 01-19-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 63583)
PS - If all plays out well this next week, I will be posting a picture and write up of the new Remington MPD Sniper Submission that was debuted at SHOT 2009. :D

This is a Remington Rifle that EVERYONE is going to want....

JD

Honestly...

Never mind, it'll have to wait until after SHOT '09.