open sights, appature, or scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > open sights, appature, or scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default open sights, appature, or scope

I hear a lot of stuff from many people who I talk to about rifle shooting. I don't know enough to form an educated opinion.

What is best range practice for a novice like me, open sights appature or scope and why do you think so

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Me personally I always teach open sights first then scopes, most people can use a red dot at least people I know. I learned how to shoot with iron sights, and even took my first deer with a old 30-30.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #3

I am just trying to understand the logic, (no offence to you) I don't have any. Why start with open sights or iron sights if they are not the same thing. Are they more basic then the others do they offer more margin for error or is it the whole crawl before you walk thing

Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #4

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You may want to give us more background. What weapon are you wanting to fire? Do you have a particular rifle with a scope and you're wondering whether or not to remove the scope your first time to the range? Have you ever fired a gun before? What sort of range do you have in your area, as far as distance available? Are you just punching paper, or are you planning on going hunting?

Tell us a little more and may get a better informed response.

What is an appature?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

The common open sight I grew up with was the buckhorn sights. Then I don't know how long ago, peep sights started to show up. Having never been in the military they were new to me and not being familiar with them I didn't like them. I have since gotten used to peep sights on my AR's.

Scopes are terrific for precision shooting. Great marksmen can make the same or very close shots with open sights, I'm not in that group. When I want to make bullet holes disappear inside each other or touch, I need a good scope and a rest.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #6

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

And one more thing......If you have very little experience shooting I would suggest plinking with a .22 of your preference. Inexpensive guns and ammo can be had that will give you a lot of practice for small coin. Start with iron sights and then when you can repeat proper posture, gun mount, and trigger control move on to a scope if you want. A scope isn't necessary, just different and gives you more precision.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
What is an appature?
I think he meant aperture, which is another term for peep sights.

Iron sight - Wikipedia

Telescopic sight - Wikipedia

clax, with open sights you can usually acquire your target faster compared to the peep/aperture sights, scopes and red-dot sights. Your peep/aperture sights are more precise with shot placement compared to open sights but it takes just a bit longer to acquire your target. Your scopes are more precise than the others and you have the added benefit of magnification to get close to your target, but it takes a little longer to acquire that target.

The links above will do a much better job of explaining this than I can.

I don't believe in "one rule fits all" for first rime shooters, whether it's a rifle, handgun or optics for either. If you're going to the range and want to shoot out at 100 yards I would suggest a scope. If you plan on staying at 50 yards or less the iron and peep sights will get you accurate results at that distance, but a magnified scope will usually be more accurate.

If you learn to shoot with one, it's not like you'll have to be retrained to shoot with the other. The basic principal is the same, hold your sights, dot or cross-hair over your target and squeeze the trigger.

Depending on the rifle you buy, you may not have the option of peep or iron sights as some don't have either and require a scope. My Marlin 917V and Savage 110 were not equipped with any sights and both had to be scoped.

The above is just general information and is assuming the sights, scopes etc. are of decent quality, functionally sound, properly mounted and sighted in. When you make some decisions on what rifle to buy, where and how you're going to shoot you can then make a more informed decision on what type of sighting you want.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #8

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I prefer a full buckhorn. Once you get used to it you can use it for a ghost ring or finesse it for different ranges.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
You may want to give us more background. What weapon are you wanting to fire? Do you have a particular rifle with a scope and you're wondering whether or not to remove the scope your first time to the range? Have you ever fired a gun before? What sort of range do you have in your area, as far as distance available? Are you just punching paper, or are you planning on going hunting?

Tell us a little more and may get a better informed response.

What is an appature?
I have a .22 savage simi auto and a 30.06 rem. 700. The .22 came with a little spotter scope, little magnification and no iorns. The 30.06 came with scopes and iorns. I hav shot both extensively approx 1000 rnds through the .22 and about 200 through the 30.06 I have up to 500 yards at my range.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #10

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

You have two guns with scopes and you maybe happy using scopes and never shoot with anything else. That is fine. Most likely many on the forum have many different sights on the guns they own. Its whatever you want, not me or anyone else. If you want some free advise, I would say to shoot peep and open sights if you have the chance. For one thing you can't say what you like best without trying the rest. Now that I am old, I have a hard time with open sights but can still use peep and scope sights. Have fun whatever you decide.