Online Gun Shopping
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Online Gun Shopping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Online Gun Shopping

Is it safe to buy guns online? Places like Buds Gun Shop I know have great prices but for some reason buying a gun online makes me leary. What is the exact process like and is it a normal thing to do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

I buy through buds all the time. You order and give them your FFL dealer and they ship to them and usually pay a small fee at your FFL plus tax and its the normal purchase process through the FFL

Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Make sure your local ffl will do the transfer first. You may want to ask them what they will charge you for it also.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9211 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Unless you have a collector's FFL (or are a dealer yourself) you will need a dealer to receive whatever gun you buy. Go to the gunbroker.com website, and use the "find a ffl" feature on their home page.

You enter your zip, and dealers that have registered as being willing to recieve a gun (and what they charge) are listed there.

I have purchased from several wholesalers, no problems- BUT- understand what you are buying. A 50 year old used gun is not going to look like a new gun.

Buying thru gunbroker, gunauction, gunsamerica? Look at the FEEDBACK of the seller. Look at the photos, READ the description. If the seller has 50 positive feedbacks, and no negative, then you should be able to expect a good transaction.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok what about background checks? Who do I do that with and when/where does it happen? Also, does the dealer ship the gun to me when it's all ready or do I go pick it up?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
Ok what about background checks? Who do I do that with and when/where does it happen? Also, does the dealer ship the gun to me when it's all ready or do I go pick it up?
The dealer will do the background check with NICS or at the state level if required once you fill out the 4473. The transaction has to occur face to face so you would have to go pick it up.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
That will happen where you have the firearm shipped to. I've bought from Buds and had no issue what so ever. My FFL is on Bud's preferred FFL list. It auto loaded all the info for me. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1890 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 707

You will have to fill out a 4473 and present any paperwork required by your home state to purchase the gun you desire at the time you pick it up. The FFL will do a background check when you pick up the gun. In the event the gun is damaged or not the model you paid for you have the right to refuse the gun. I have my guns shipped to my gunsmith. He sees things I might over look. Yes, I pay more and sometimes it takes a couple days for the gunsmith to examine the gun, but sometimes you have to pay and wait for great service.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Buds also has the FFL by zip code look up, anytime I'm in the market for another firearm I always check Buds and 9 times out of 10 they are the cheapest and they have Great service, I might see a gun somewhere for sale and before I buy I check the 3 places already mentioned Gunbroker, gunsamerica and Buds and everytime one of the 3 have the best price, now I'm just talking about NIB guns my LGS often have better prices on USED guns.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne