Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > One step up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

You need to remember, A target rifle and a hunting rifle are not equal. Target rifles & Varmint rifles uaually have a heavier barrel, better trigger, and are made for distance shooting. A standard rifle will have a tappered barrel to save weight. That barrel will heat up faster then a heavy barrel. 500 yards is an aweful lot to expect from a $300.00 .223 rifle. Best of luck.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #12

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
You need to remember, A target rifle and a hunting rifle are not equal. Target rifles & Varmint rifles uaually have a heavier barrel, better trigger, and are made for distance shooting. A standard rifle will have a tappered barrel to save weight. That barrel will heat up faster then a heavy barrel. 500 yards is an aweful lot to expect from a $300.00 .223 rifle. Best of luck.
I knew that different versions of the same rifle would have different barrel types and that a heavier barrel would help with long range accuracy and not heat up near as quick as a tapered barrel. I'm also not expecting it to have a 2inch group each and every time when (attempting to) shoot out to 500yards. Most of my plinking and varmint/coyote hunting would be done under 200yards. But like almost anyone out there, I like to challenge not only my "toys" but myself and see just how far things can reach. So in my mind, even if I was able to hit a 1x1' steel plate maybe half the time at 500yards I'd be happy. I'm basically just looking for a sub-MOA (center fire) rifle that's not going to make my wallet want to run and hide.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #13

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

It is not only the barrel contour, but the action. The Edge/Axis is a fine beginners rifle, but w/ the rifle in .223, you are truely expecting to much. 300 yards, that is more realistic. For 500 yards a .308 would be better suited and is availible in the axis. You could still hammer coyotes, and larger game if you choose. Even then, that is a long shot. Your goal would be to hit a 2" target at 100 yards consistantly to even have a chance at a 12"x12" at 500. Again, I wish you the best of luck.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Savage uses a 1:9 twist rate so it will handle bullets in the 60-70 grn range. A lot of mfgs use a 1:12 which does not handle heavier bullets well. For what you want to do JP is probably right and you need to step up. If you do not load the .223 is cheaper to shoot for target practice followed by the 308 since there is a lot of fmj out there in those 2 calibers. There are some other calibers to consider. .243, 257 Roberts and 25-06 come to mind. I saw a new Marlin X7 at a show recently in 25-06 and it was priced at $300.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
It is not only the barrel contour, but the action. The Edge/Axis is a fine beginners rifle, but w/ the rifle in .223, you are truely expecting to much. 300 yards, that is more realistic. For 500 yards a .308 would be better suited and is availible in the axis. You could still hammer coyotes, and larger game if you choose. Even then, that is a long shot. Your goal would be to hit a 2" target at 100 yards consistantly to even have a chance at a 12"x12" at 500. Again, I wish you the best of luck.
I know 500 yards is really pushing it for this rifle. To me that's pushing it for anything chambered in .223 since its a fairly small round and would get pushed around by the wind. When it comes to hitting a 2" target multiple times with this rifle it shouldn't be to hard. From what I've read guys have been able to get groups as small as 3/4" at 100yards.

The .308 would be better for taking long shots and larger game then coyotes, but it would also cost more since in my area I can buy a box (.223) of American Eagle for about 11 buck. I also wouldn't do as much damage to the pelt since I plan on looking around to see if people in my are buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Savage uses a 1:9 twist rate so it will handle bullets in the 60-70 grn range. A lot of mfgs use a 1:12 which does not handle heavier bullets well. For what you want to do JP is probably right and you need to step up. If you do not load the .223 is cheaper to shoot for target practice followed by the 308 since there is a lot of fmj out there in those 2 calibers. There are some other calibers to consider. .243, 257 Roberts and 25-06 come to mind. I saw a new Marlin X7 at a show recently in 25-06 and it was priced at $300.
You know, I was thinking about getting a .243 since a friend of mine goes out hunting and has one as well as a 7mm Rem Mag. But to me the .223 just has that cool factor in my mind. It's also more feasible for the reason your thinking, as of now I don't reload at all.u

EDIT~ I'm also looking for something that's light on recoil as my girl isn't exactly a total gun person, so I figure if I slowly work up a larger caliber she'll be able to get used to hard hitting one. Also would be used mainly on small game and that's about it, so don't wan to be buying a larger caliber I only fire off furring hunting season.

Last edited by kaido; 01-15-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

I know 500 yards is really pushing it for this rifle. To me that's pushing it for anything chambered in .223 since its a fairly small round and would get pushed around by the wind. When it comes to hitting a 2" target multiple times with this rifle it shouldn't be to hard. From what I've read guys have been able to get groups as small as 3/4" at 100yards.

The .308 would be better for taking long shots and larger game then coyotes, but it would also cost more since in my area I can buy a box (.223) of American Eagle for about 11 buck. I also wouldn't do as much damage to the pelt since I plan on looking around to see if people in my are buy them.

You know, I was thinking about getting a .243 since a friend of mine goes out hunting and has one as well as a 7mm Rem Mag. But to me the .223 just has that cool factor in my mind. It's also more feasible for the reason your thinking, as of now I don't reload at all.u

EDIT~ I'm also looking for something that's light on recoil as my girl isn't exactly a total gun person, so I figure if I slowly work up a larger caliber she'll be able to get used to hard hitting one. Also would be used mainly on small game and that's about it, so don't wan to be buying a larger caliber I only fire off furring hunting season.
I was having the same exact problem your having now. All I had ever shot was a .22, and a few pistols. But, I wanted to make that step up, so I bought a remington 700 ADL in .223. It has a basic synthetic stock, a 24" barrel, and a factory mounted 4x12x40 scope came on it. I shot 220 rounds in a period of 3-4 hours at 100 yards, (along with my friends .308) and it kicks like a little girl! I mean next to nothing. I didn't do anything to it, except put a cartridge holder on the stock, and attach a bipod. Shot after shot my Arm was left in perfect condition. I only weigh 150 pounds, and it was a dream to shoot at the range.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets

I was having the same exact problem your having now. All I had ever shot was a .22, and a few pistols. But, I wanted to make that step up, so I bought a remington 700 ADL in .223. It has a basic synthetic stock, a 24" barrel, and a factory mounted 4x12x40 scope came on it. I shot 220 rounds in a period of 3-4 hours at 100 yards, (along with my friends .308) and it kicks like a little girl! I mean next to nothing. I didn't do anything to it, except put a cartridge holder on the stock, and attach a bipod. Shot after shot my Arm was left in perfect condition. I only weigh 150 pounds, and it was a dream to shoot at the range.
That's actually some good news, I weigh pretty much the same.
Considering those, from what I read, are the only two rifles you've shot what where your thoughts on the .223?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #18

Quote:

That's actually some good news, I weigh pretty much the same.
Considering those, from what I read, are the only two rifles you've shot what where your thoughts on the .223?
It's a good rifle. Ammo is abundant and cheap, It's very accurate, and like I said... "Kicks like a little girl". It just has very little recoil. You and your girlfriend should have no problem. And as far as hunting coyotes, Hornady superformance varmint is about as lethal as it gets. I haven't killed a coyote yet, but the ballistic tip feels like a knife blade, and a 53gr. Bullet tops out at I wanna say 3470 fps.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets

It's a good rifle. Ammo is abundant and cheap, It's very accurate, and like I said... "Kicks like a little girl". It just has very little recoil. You and your girlfriend should have no problem. And as far as hunting coyotes, Hornady superformance varmint is about as lethal as it gets. I haven't killed a coyote yet, but the ballistic tip feels like a knife blade, and a 53gr. Bullet tops out at I wanna say 3470 fps.
Damn, that's actually a bonus. All the ammunition I was looking at is 55grs so it wouldn't be the big of a drop going down to 53grns. I might start looking around local shops and checking some sites for the prices on that round. Also hope that the rifle I (eventually) pick up sends them down range accurately.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #20

Quote:

Damn, that's actually a bonus. All the ammunition I was looking at is 55grs so it wouldn't be the big of a drop going down to 53grns. I might start looking around local shops and checking some sites for the prices on that round. Also hope that the rifle I (eventually) pick up sends them down range accurately.
I just shoot fmjs, and when I use the hornadys, my rifle shoots just high and to the left at 100yds. Nothing a few easy clicks won't fix. And good luck. I hope you find what your looking for.