Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > One step up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Know I just started shooting, but even before I have my FAC/PAL I've always been looking into getting an AR platform. The reason behind this is I'll admit, partly due to the cool factor. But it's also the fact that from what I've heard, the .223 doesn't have a whole wack load of kick to it and being a new shooter, the seems like a good center fire starter. Before anyone asks why I don't just save up and buy an AR/AR type rifle, I'm not exactly one to want to wait longer then needed to buy something to enjoy. Also living in Canada they have all kinds of restriction on any rifle that's on an AR platform. One of which is that you have to be on a proper range to be legally allowed to discharge it and have to fill out paper work each and every time the dang thing leaves your house regardless of where it goes and if I understood properly, have to pay a certain amount each time or per year. So that's out of the question for me.

Just have a couple of quick question, none are really gun related, more ammunition related really.

First one is, how much more kick does a .223 have vs a 7mm Rem mag? (only centerfire rifle I've shot)

What's the farthest shot you've made with that caliber?

What a good budget gun in this caliber? (let's say about 4-500 if possible, also have a preference for bolt action)

And would you guys suggest a different caliber to start out with?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm pretty new to shooting but have shot some harder hitters then a .22LR and looking to go a little bit bigger. Also looking for something that won't totally slaughter the wallet of a student with a part time job.

Last edited by kaido; 01-07-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

.223 compared to 7mm Rem Mag? In comparison, the .223 has NO recoil. 3-400 yards is not unreasonable. Budget bolt gun? Savage comes to mind. .223 is not a power house round, but with proper bullets it can be very effectiveon game up to medium deer (with proper placement). Ammo availability (at least in the US) is very good to excellent.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I shoot both 5.56/.223 in an AR and 7mm Rem. Mag. in a bolt gun. My 16" mid-length AR is virtually recoiless. Can't say that about the 7mm though!

When I was in the Army I think they taught us that the effective range of the AR is 450 yards. I think with heavy bullets today they go farther than that, but for me I consider my AR a 300 yard gun. Anything further than that I need to shoot and I'll be reaching for another gun in a bigger caliber.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

I know the .223 isn't a very heavy round and isn't all that great for reach out and touch far distances, and that's not to big of an issue either since the range I use only goes out to 500yards and I don't think that I'll be trying that anytime soon for a couple reasons.

But I was actually looking at a savage ( AXIS XP) on a whole sale site up here thats close to 330.00 and comes
with a scope. (don't remember the scope brand but is a 3-9x40)

As for hunting any size game with a .223, Canada made it so you can only use it for pests and other small game. So as of right now I would only be able to use it on something up to the size of a coyote or maybe a wolf, not to sure there so I'll check that out. But I'm sure it's up to a coyote since I haven't seen any Wolfe around my part of Canada. For those of you wondering what the smallest deer hunting calibre we can use is, it's anything over .23 caliber, so that puts the smallest legal round to hunt with (in Canada) at a .243.

As for it being low recoil, I didn't think it was that low. I was originally going to compare it to the .22LR but figured that would be a little out of place since their two totally different rounds. Kind of glad there's not a lot of recoil behind them though.....can talk my girl into shooting it a couple of time so I don't feel like a total bum to storing it at her place. Haha

Old 01-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You should understand that the 5.56/.223 caliber is mostly recoiless in an AR because of the way it is designed to use the recoil to operate the bolt. A bolt action rifle in the same caliber will have more recoil. Not as much as a 7mm Rem. Mag. by any means, but more than an AR type rifle.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver
You should understand that the 5.56/.223 caliber is mostly recoiless in an AR because of the way it is designed to use the recoil to operate the bolt. A bolt action rifle in the same caliber will have more recoil. Not as much as a 7mm Rem. Mag. by any means, but more than an AR type rifle.
Well I was pretty sure that a bolt action would have some more recoil then an AR or any similar platform. Even between mine and my girls .22 there's a small difference. But like you said, it shouldn't be as much as the 7mm that me and her each got to shoot a round from.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5124 Times on 2668 Posts
Likes Given: 310

goofing around on the m60 range with our m16A2 in the army we were getting regular hits n 1000meter popups. no clue what weight bullets we were using. prolly had about as much punch at that distance as a 22lr.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
goofing around on the m60 range with our m16A2 in the army we were getting regular hits n 1000meter popups. no clue what weight bullets we were using. prolly had about as much punch at that distance as a 22lr.
Even if it only hit as hard as a .22LR at the range, I'm sure it would be enough to make the person(s) they hit have seconds thoughts about coming any close enough for them to do some real damage.

But that's still a pretty a lot farther the. What I hear most people go for, even though it was just messing around and having fun. But since my range only goes out to 500 yards, I'm sure with some practice I could hit a steel plate of fair size at that distance.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5124 Times on 2668 Posts
Likes Given: 310

yeah its like shooting 380acp at 200yard targets. lots of fun but totally impractical heh. that was one helluva a fun range day

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
yeah its like shooting 380acp at 200yard targets. lots of fun but totally impractical heh. that was one helluva a fun range day
That truly would of been. I'm still waiting to save up the funds for a .223 bolt gun (still thinking savage, but the axis instead).