One mile kill shot - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > One mile kill shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

The first one mile kill was made by a Union sniper on a Confederate general. The rifle was a 69 caliber "slug gun" built by Morgan James. The range was a surveyed mile. Time of flight was on the order of five seconds. That WAS a single, cold bore shot. Could hardly be otherwise with a muzzleloading rifle!
Anyone who has fired in long range competition against shooters from Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, South Africa, or a host of other countries, is well aware that the US doesn't have a monopoly on producing skilled shooters. What the US does have is a very deep pool of good shooters.
GD

Old 08-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydog View Post
The first one mile kill was made by a Union sniper on a Confederate general. The rifle was a 69 caliber "slug gun" built by Morgan James. The range was a surveyed mile. GD
I am going to have to ask for a source on this revelation because a .69 caliber slug going a mile accurately and hitting a man sized target is going to be new news.

If you are talking about Major General John Sedgwick, it was never proven the exact distance, but reports have the shooters being anywhere from 800 to 1200 yards away depending on who is writing the story. None of the shots were thought to be cold bore either.

There is no question that Morgan James turned out some accurate rifles, but 5,280ft plus with a .69 caliber and a cold bore shot to boot?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #13

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

The only source I have for this account is "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" by Ned Roberts. He quotes a Colonel Winthrop Sawyer who claims a Captain John Metcalf made this shot at a range of "one mile, one hundred eighty seven feet". The shot was allegedly, the first and possibly, only shot fired from this position. It was certainly a "cold bore" shot. In fact, given the drill for cleaning and loading one of these rifles, every shot could be considered to be "cold bore"!
Beyond this, I must confess to being a bit off and offer my apology. The rifle was not made by Morgan James but the telescopic sight was. The rifle was made by Abe Williams of Oswego, New York and was of fifty caliber; not .69 (can't this guy get anything right?!). I was going from memory and had not read this passage since about 1972. Roberts claimed to have seen the rifle and a copy of the War Department record on exhibition.
Now, I have to admit, I have always figured accounts of this shot to have been mostly folklore and if such a shot was truly made, it would have to have been one of the great flukes of all time. Not that the rifle would not have been accurate enough; many of these very heavy, machine rest rifles were capable of accuracy well under minute of angle but not at such extreme range. The same is true of modern weapons. The best 50 cal BR rifles are certainly capable of accuracy under 1/2 moa at a thousand yards but not under field conditions. Still, one would expect the chances of scoring a hit today, while not certain, are considerably better than they would have been 150 years ago! GD

Old 08-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #14

Well GD, that happens to the best of us.

Taking it at face value, it would have to go down as one of the truly great shots, or truly great shooters, of all time. Totally possible in my eyes because you just never know.

That said, I think the attempt at shooting any black powder based personal firearm at the distance of one mile is probably going to have a tremendous amount of luck in any shot.

1760 is a LONG ways down range, even with today's CNC machined, custom built weapons.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I dunno about any of you but I don't want to be in the crosshairs of any one of these shooters within 1.5 miles. Count me out. If I seen on the news that one of my brother in arms just got whacked from a mile out I quit I surrender I will tell you what ever you want to effing know man really. You want to know where osama is I will get you a effing 15 digit grid on his ass. Just get me the hell out of here.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The folks mentioned in this thread are ALMOST as good as the member we had that could hit a bird in flight at 100 yards with his Kel-Tec...

Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #17

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

facemecca.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The folks mentioned in this thread are ALMOST as good as the member we had that could hit a bird in flight at 100 yards with his Kel-Tec...
C'mon man. Nothing could beat the guy we had here for awhile. His avatar was a target with what looked like 3 shots strung horizontally across the right side of the "X" ring going into the 9.

He claimed up, down and sideways that it was actually FIVE shots, but two of them went right through the same holes.

So, you can't fix the horizontal drift of the group, but you can shoot through the same hole again? Interesting. Or BS.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #19

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

How about 1.5+ mile double kill?
New longest kill shot by sniper

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.