Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > One mile kill shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default One mile kill shot

ONE MILE KILL SHOT - Military.com

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That same program on History had the tale of the guy with the longest confirmed kill with a .308 and it was TWICE as incredible, in our collective minds around the shop, as to the overall level of Norse God like Marksmanship. It was AMAZING!!

One thing is certain, the US Military turns out some of the greatest long range shooters on the planet. And I am kind of sure it has SOMETHING to do with all the availablity of weapons in our culture.

JD

Old 08-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The longest confirmed shot at just over a mile and a half (if I remember correctly) was made by a Brit that broke the record held by a Canadian, no? But, I also believe both men were trained in the US. Maybe at Fort Benning? I could be wrong, I am just pulling it off of what I think I remember. Amazing, none the less.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
The longest confirmed shot at just over a mile and a half (if I remember correctly) was made by a Brit that broke the record held by a Canadian, no? But, I also believe both men were trained in the US. Maybe at Fort Benning? I could be wrong, I am just pulling it off of what I think I remember. Amazing, none the less.
Correct, self taught then went to train.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 AM   #5

The Canadian had multiple shots on a fixed target that was too dumb to understand what was going on.

The Brit was a member of a high power shooting team in his youth and he was trained, allegedly, by US troops.

If you are trying to draw some vague parallel to people outside the US being better long range shooters, I would suggest you do some reading up on the history of long range military application of lead induced terminal trauma in opposing forces.

In addition, when you compare the high altitude ballistics of Afghanistan versus those of, say, high density air of a place like S.E. Asia and a guy named Carlos, you begin to really understand what goes into long range shooting on moving targets.

Now, the Canadian used a McMillan Tac-50 cal, an American custom rifle that is VERY expensive in civilian application, and he needed two to three shots, depending on who's report you read. The Brit was using an AWM in .338 Lapua, which makes the shot that much more impressive as the cartridge is not as well known for knock down kills as the .50 and the .416/.408 applications at those ranges. And in his shooting, it took multiple shots to get "on target". Neither of these applications were "cold bore".

However, all those shots pale in comparison to the shot made in Fallujah by the Marine with the .308

Everything being equal, that guy is probably either ONE of the luckiest, or deadliest, shooters on the planet.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-28-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Additional information after research

Old 08-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

All throughout the history of US military success, there are stories of superior marksmanship making the difference between success and failure. I also love how the military is allowing the media access to these stories. Just little glimpses into a military that actually has some people who know how to win a war with true success on the battlefield and a focused media campaign showing people (enemy included) those successes.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The Canadian had multiple shots on a fixed target that was too dumb to understand what was going on.

The Brit was a member of a high power shooting team in his youth and he was trained, allegedly, by US troops.

If you are trying to draw some vague parallel to people outside the US being better long range shooters, I would suggest you do some reading up on the history of long range military application of lead induced terminal trauma in opposing forces.

In addition, when you compare the high altitude ballistics of Afghanistan versus those of, say, high density air of a place like S.E. Asia and a guy named Carlos, you begin to really understand what goes into long range shooting on moving targets.

Now, the Canadian used a McMillan Tac-50 cal, an American custom rifle that is VERY expensive in civilian application, and he needed two to three shots, depending on who's report you read. The Brit was using an AWM in .338 Lapua, which makes the shot that much more impressive as the cartridge is not as well known for knock down kills as the .50 and the .416/.408 applications at those ranges. And in his shooting, it took multiple shots to get "on target". Neither of these applications were "cold bore".

However, all those shots pale in comparison to the shot made in Fallujah by the Marine with the .308

Everything being equal, that guy is probably either ONE of the luckiest, or deadliest, shooters on the planet.

JD
I hope you don't doubt my belief or understanding that American trained long range shooters are superior to foreign trained shooters. I was in the understanding that the best of the allied long range shooters were trained by American military long range shooters.

And, you are correct about the long range ability of the .308 from everything I have read.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this is pretty old if im not correct, and the canaidan Rob furlong has the officail record with 1.5 miles and he did it with a macmillian tac 50 with american bullets, last i heard at least.

this is from the same history channel show.

btw did you get this from the millitary.com newsletter thing? cuz i got that too

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #9

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow18 View Post
btw did you get this from the millitary.com newsletter thing? cuz i got that too
Yep.......(damn 10)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I hope you don't doubt my belief or understanding that American trained long range shooters are superior to foreign trained shooters. I was in the understanding that the best of the allied long range shooters were trained by American military long range shooters.

And, you are correct about the long range ability of the .308 from everything I have read.
To be honest, I was not not sure where your other post was headed.

If you take a look at the list of "most prolific" shooters/snipers in history you will find that a lot of folks from foreign countries are at or near the top of the list, Simo being in the lead followed by a countryman named Sulo.

There are lots of foreign born names on the magic list, but apples need to be compared to apples.

The thing is, you have to factor in the battlefield they were shooting on. Sure Zeitsev and Koenig/Thorvald ( if Koenig/Thorvald was actually one man instead of a compilation of shooters ) both had a ton of kills, but they were shooting in urban environments with long shots being down the street.

But compared to what Carlos Hathcock and Chuck Mawhinney did in Vietnam, especially on hill 55, it's another type of shooting altogether.

But no, wasn't taking a shot at you, was just trying to clarify when it comes to this discussion because there is a LOT of bad information out there.