Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Which One? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/one-14518/)

easterner123 06-05-2009 10:28 PM

Which One?

I am debating which weapon to buy, the M1 Garand or the M1 Carbine. The carbine has a lot lower kick, but the garand has more stopping power. Just can't decide which one. Price isn't the issue nor is the ammo. Which do you all prefer?

dunerunner 06-05-2009 10:41 PM

Question is, which one do you want most? The Garand is .30-06, has range and accuracy, the Carbine is designed to lay down a field of fire and provide cover fire. Both are fun to shoot. I remember the Garand being a little tough on the shoulder after the first 20 rounds. Why not buy both if $ and ammo aren't an issue?

mrm14 06-05-2009 11:29 PM

Springfield M-1 Garrand, or even a Springfield M1A.

Had a M-1 Carbine many years ago and although it was a very reliable rifle accuracy was an issue.

stalkingbear 06-06-2009 12:18 AM

It all depends on what you're wanting to do with it. I've wanted a really nice M1A for a long time. The garands are great, and are the single gun credited with saving the world from the evil axis, but I prefer the M1A.

dunerunner 06-06-2009 02:26 AM

Nearly had an M1A, even bought 100 rounds of ammo and two 20 rnd mags. Alas, I decided to buy something else and never followed through with the purchase.

easterner123 06-06-2009 02:56 PM

well my only issue with the garand is that it really kicks, and I usually like to put 100-300 rounds through my guns when I shoot them. Carbines kick like
.22s and are a lot of fun, but I also want to take it deer hunting. Thats why I'm torn, and if I could buy two I would in a heartbeat :). Maybe by the end of the summer if I land a few jobs but I need one of them by deer season in october.

CA357 06-06-2009 03:34 PM

Easterner, they are two very different rifles.

I have both, so I'll give you my two cents worth.

The M1 carbine essentially shoots a pistol round and is light, fast handling and magazine fed. It's capable of putting many rounds downrange quickly. It fires the .30 carbine round.

The M1 is a battle rifle. It's heavier, shoots the .30-06 round and takes a clip of eight rounds, so it's got less capacity than the carbine. However, the .30-06 is a devastatingly effective caliber.

I own a Springfield M1 Garand manufactured in 1943 and an Inland M1 carbine also manufactured in 1943. If I had to choose and could only keep one, I'd keep the Garand. There is absolutely nothing like it.

As far as recoil, that's a very subjective matter. I've owned a DSA FAL (.308) that kicked a heck of a lot harder. I also had a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad, (.308 again) that was a dream to shoot. (Unfortunately, finances forced me to sell it.)

I'm not a big guy, almost 60 and have arthritis. I can shoot my Garand all day and not feel it. Personally, I think a good running M1 is a soft shooting rifle. Keep it clean and lubricated, make sure the gas tube and piston are clean and replace the recoil spring.

I'll echo what was already said, if you can afford it, buy both. You won't regret owning either one. :cool:

DrGonzo11 06-07-2009 11:11 PM

The M1 Carbine would be much more fun at the range and is FAR LIGHTER, However it doesn't have much of range. The M1 Garand is Heavy and Bulky but packs a wallop, plus if the SHTF 30-06 will be easy to find versus .30 carbine which is already scarce right now.

bobbyb13 06-08-2009 12:29 AM

Simplify

Get both, you will like both, You really NEED both. Simple.:D

CA357 06-08-2009 02:15 AM

Bobby, will you be my new Guru? :D