Old Firearms, Please Read
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Old Firearms, Please Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Old Firearms, Please Read

As a retired Gunsmith and as a person who collects old rifles, I've been seeing a lot of old guns modified or parts ruined because people don't know how to properly restore them, spray the barreled actions with Gun-Kote or similar finishes. Sporterize them, chop of barrels, improperly polish parts and everything else you can think of.

Please preserve these old firearms, don't modify them or wreck parts.

There will never be any more of the old rifles made. Only so many were produced, it's up to us to preserve the old guns for future generations.

Evertime one is modified, it is ruined as a collectable.

Just my two cents, but if you really love firearms, it's something to think about. I see a lot of history ruined.
I just bought a rifle online that someone butchered, that's what prompted this post. Please think about it. If you have an old firearm that does not mean much to you, sell it to someone who will love it and take care of it.

Want to do some modifications, get a newer firearm and go for it.

Thank You, John K

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Good advice, but let's keep the thoughts to ONE THREAD on the same topic please.

JD

Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

My hat is off to you RIFLEMAN. I myself have collected older guns for years and it motifies me when I see a great classic gun destroyed by a ham handed previous owner destroy a classic. When unimformed owners see a few rubs, scratches and dents, many feel the need to "make it new". This is a shame as these alter the guns service stripes. Everytime someone refinishes a gun they are forever removing its history. I am as proud as a new papa about every scratch, dent and ding my guns have. This means these guns have been there, done that, and got the scars to prove it.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1178 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I have mixed feelings when it comes to sporterized military guns,or other old collectable weapons that are modified.
On one hand,I've just never cared for the styles of most military rifles with the exception of the 1903A3,M1 Garand,and the M1A.

If done right,a sporterized rifle can have a new lease on life and serve the owner proudly in whatever form they choose to use the weapon in either shooting targets,hunting,or just as a safe queen.
Now,when Bubba tries to be the next great beginner gunsmith with a grinder and dremmel tool,then it becomes destroying a piece of history.

Most of the real collectable firearms are already in the private collections of the people that have more money than sense,and the only time they ever see daylight is when they die,and their collections are auctioned off to other people that have more money than sense.

Rifleman55,I understand what you are saying,but I do not feel like someone is destroying history by modifying a rifle that was produced in the tens of thousands for the armies of the world to use in wars.
Unless the gun has a proven history and proof that it had a place in history-Time,Place,Name of the Person that used the weapon,etc.,It's just another gun to me.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Had a guy come into the shop about 6 or so years ago.

Wanted to take a WWI edition M1911a1, absolutely authentic including the GI Crescent of Shame. A work of historical art that probably had a couple of German bodies attached to it.

He wanted to cut a dovetail adjustable rear site with night sights in the backend of the slide, dump the spur hammer for a Commander hammer, lose the front site, add a front night sight and change out the trigger for a more "modern version".

We took the job, after a big discussion, and the guy was adament in the changes even after we offered to buy the pistol (honestly it was a low ball offer and I was out of work at the time so it's not like I could front).

A crying shame. An absolute crying shame that I am sure had a GI rolling over in his grave to what happened to that trusted sidearm.

JD

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1178 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Had a guy come into the shop about 6 or so years ago.

Wanted to take a WWI edition M1911a1, absolutely authentic including the GI Crescent of Shame. A work of historical art that probably had a couple of German bodies attached to it.

He wanted to cut a dovetail adjustable rear site with night sights in the backend of the slide, dump the spur hammer for a Commander hammer, lose the front site, add a front night sight and change out the trigger for a more "modern version".

We took the job, after a big discussion, and the guy was adament in the changes even after we offered to buy the pistol (honestly it was a low ball offer and I was out of work at the time so it's not like I could front).

A crying shame. An absolute crying shame that I am sure had a GI rolling over in his grave to what happened to that trusted sidearm.

JD
JD,Are you trying to make me feel bad?
Now a M1911a1 is a different story.I would've beat him with a BIG stick for doing that to a weapon like that.
I was just thinking about all the surplus stuff that's around everywhere.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When they are stock, or restorable, I agree with you R55. But once they have been sporterized to the point of no return, I love working on them and finishing the sporterizing.

Good thread to heighten awareness, though.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #8

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I've seen more guns handled like I wouldn't treat a lawnmower, than

modified.

Why spend the money on a new gun? You might as well buy a POS

to begin with...

Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

It's a chunk of steel wood and sometimes plastic. If you want to cut the barrel to 3" then go for it. I see nothing wrong with doing what you want with YOUR own firearms.

That is the nice thing about living in the USA we are free to do as we please. There are plenty of 03a3's in museums all over the country and world. We have Garands all over the world still. I don't sell firearms once I buy them so why do you even care?

The same can be said for modern firearms Don't modify it for some day they will stop making it.

What ever If someone wants to make a gun useful to them then go for it.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #10

If you look, I am a supporting member.

Don't want to start a pissing contest, just thought some may see the light and actually care about future generations.
And who the heck wants to look at an 03 A3 in a museum, I want as perfect of one as possible that I can shoot, pass it down to my son who would never butcher an old rifle, he can give it to his son and on and on. Not a lot of original M1 Garands's left, many put togather from parts, but many original ones are rare.

Do as you like, some will see what I'm talking about and understand.
Others will ruin unreplacable history from a time of World Wars we will hopfully never see the like of again, because if we do, it will be far more ugly.

Anyone who truly loves firearms knows exactly what I'm talking about.

One example, I have a Mossberg 42M, actually an S42. It was made in 1939. Mossberg did not think that style of stock would be popular. They made exactly 469 of them and sold them through Speigal mail order stores. Some idiot put silver paint on the barrel. I managed to restore it, it's a very rare rifle. As it turned out, the public loved the stock and many more were sold in the next 7 years or so, but even the unmolested one's of those guns are rapidly dissapearing.
During WWII, all the gun companys made 22 LR trainers to save on 30 cal ammo. Some of those guns sell for up to $4000., but many can be had for $350. on up in very good condition. Not many left in good condition, and fewer all the time due to gun hacks.
Had I not spotted and saved that gun from 1939, a rare piece of history may have been lost forever, he was getting ready to make it into a ninja rifle, don't ask how, he was a total idiot..
It may not mean anything to you, but a true gun lover would want a gun, first year, less than 500 made. How many do you think are even left, this is the first I've ever seen. The guy who had it didn't even know he had a rare gun, so at least do research on any old rifle you have, it may be common or it may be rare, in any case, preserve it. If already sporterized, OK, but don't sporterize it yourself.

My Best, John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 06-09-2011 at 05:17 AM.