Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Old Battle Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker

I'm just guessing on this one, but Americans just seem to have always had an affinity for German guns. I believe the beloved "Kentucky" rifles were developed and made primarily by German immigrants. I'm also guessing there were still a few remaining hard feelings towards the Brits during WWI? The war of 1812 was just 100 years earlier. America was also still looked down on by the Brits as an upstart nation of backwoods hicks at that time. It makes sense that American soldiers would prefer the 03 given attitudes of the day.
The kentucky rifles bore was rifled by german immigrants making it more accurate.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #32

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I recently with help from another mate restored a 1945 Mk3 No.1 SMLE .303 that's got a heavy barrel fitted to it and it was as far as I know used as a range rifle by the previous owner and was a bit lacking in the tlc dept but after stripping it down,boiling the timber which had a lot of gunk come out of the wood and then sanding and applying linseed oil and staining it it came out looking a real treat.
The barrel was a whole different story though as it looked as though the last 2"-3" of the barrel was looking a bit short of rifling.
The mate asked if he could spend some time on the barrel and I said that if he had nothing better to do go for it as I thought I'd be up for a new barrel.
After a couple of days of scrubbing and soaking in BoreTech,Sweets 7.62 and more scrubbing the amount of gunk that came out of it was unbelievable and I now have more rifling than was seen originally and it now shoots 180gn Sierra Pro Hunters into a 2" group at 100 yards with open sights.

.303-1.jpg   smle1.jpg  

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #33

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Now that I thought about it, I don't own a single U.S. battle rifle or even an AR15 for that matter. I'd sell more, but I have way to much ammo and reloading supplies!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
I recently with help from another mate restored a 1945 Mk3 No.1 SMLE .303 that's got a heavy barrel fitted to it and it was as far as I know used as a range rifle by the previous owner and was a bit lacking in the tlc dept but after stripping it down,boiling the timber which had a lot of gunk come out of the wood and then sanding and applying linseed oil and staining it it came out looking a real treat.
The barrel was a whole different story though as it looked as though the last 2"-3" of the barrel was looking a bit short of rifling.
The mate asked if he could spend some time on the barrel and I said that if he had nothing better to do go for it as I thought I'd be up for a new barrel.
After a couple of days of scrubbing and soaking in BoreTech,Sweets 7.62 and more scrubbing the amount of gunk that came out of it was unbelievable and I now have more rifling than was seen originally and it now shoots 180gn Sierra Pro Hunters into a 2" group at 100 yards with open sights.

Great job on that rifle. It's nice to see one brought back to such good condition. As for the groups, I had a similar experience with my No.4 after really cleaning the barrel. There's a reason they remained in service for so many years.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #35

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

As yet I haven't had the joy of collecting an '03. But I sure do

enjoy shooting my Garand. (cleaning the barrel, not so much...)

Old 12-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #36

Hairbear1 great job on the restore.