Originally Posted by 01hugo
How do I justify to my wife that I need, not want, another rifle?
Well, it may or may not be true.
If you want to upgrade from an old one, then sell your older one first.
I made a list once, and decided that 7 guns is about the max anyone would ever really need, across several calibre ranges --
- 22 LR handgun (pistol or revolver) for backpacking
- 22 LR rifle for rabbit / squirrel hunting (a 410 shotgun would also do well instead)
- semi auto ACP of some calibre for home defense
- handgun for your wife (pistol or revolver)
- combat 12 gauge as a backup for HD (or sporting shotgun with interchangeable barrels)
- scoped hunting rifle in a calibre large enough for all the game you take
- heavy revolver for campsite defense against large animals
That equals 7 exactly. None of these particular guns (firearms) will substitute for each other, so one of each makes perfect sense, if your family budget can afford it.
Otherwise I would go with the ball an' chain. Its easier than dating again, or being single again.
You could also ask her what is it that she wants that cost around $1000 and agree that she gets that while you get a new rifle, if you really need it.