Ok.. Need some opinions/advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ok.. Need some opinions/advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ok.. Need some opinions/advice

I just recently purchased a Remington 700 in .243 and sighted it in the other day. At a 100 yards i had 2-2.5 inch groups. I was shooting Hornady 58 gr v-max moly coated bullets. The gun came with a scope and it is not name brand. So my question is do you guys think that if i were to put better glass on it, it would hold better groups... Or do you think that it is the best i will get with factory loads. I'm not in any place to reload but I really want to be able to shoot woodchucks and possibly p-dogs out to 300-400 yards. I am open to any suggestions that you all have on scopes or maybe other factory rounds that might be better. My thoughts on the whole thing was that the scope may be jumping around a bit but I am uneducated about stuff like this. I was thinking to put a Leupold VX-1 4-12x on it and hopefully turn the gun into MOA or slightly above MOA, but wanted some opinions/advice on the topic before I go doing anything drastic.

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

If the 'gun' is only capable of 2 to 2.5 inch groups with this ammo it will not be a varmint rifle. You MUST HAVE MOA or less to hit small targets at long ranges. The 4x12 scope will work for you IF the rifle is capable of MOA or less accuracy. I had a 6.5x20 on my 22-250 but never used it above 14x. Welcome to the forum!
Hope this helped,
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-08-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Here are a couple of easy suggestions. Try some other ammo; all guns have a favorite. One other thing to check is the rings; cheap rings will kill accuracy (as these can become loose and/or are tough to get tight). 2" groups with factory ammo is not bad by the way but some different ammo may get you a little tighter.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom11 View Post
I just recently purchased a Remington 700 in .243 and sighted it in the other day. At a 100 yards i had 2-2.5 inch groups. I was shooting Hornady 58 gr v-max moly coated bullets. The gun came with a scope and it is not name brand. So my question is do you guys think that if i were to put better glass on it, it would hold better groups... Or do you think that it is the best i will get with factory loads. I'm not in any place to reload but I really want to be able to shoot woodchucks and possibly p-dogs out to 300-400 yards. I am open to any suggestions that you all have on scopes or maybe other factory rounds that might be better. My thoughts on the whole thing was that the scope may be jumping around a bit but I am uneducated about stuff like this. I was thinking to put a Leupold VX-1 4-12x on it and hopefully turn the gun into MOA or slightly above MOA, but wanted some opinions/advice on the topic before I go doing anything drastic.

Thanks in advance!
Here are a few questions that need answers:
1-Are YOU capable of better groups? Not trying to be insulting, just trying to find out your experience and if you can actually shoot better than that. Any rifle is only as good as the guy pulling the trigger and I've diagnosed enough poor shooting rifles as being shooter deficient to know better than to leave the question unasked.

2- Have ou tried other types of ammo. 58 gr. Vmax is REALLY light for most rifles in .243 and if the twist rate is too fast for that bullet there is nothing you can do to fix that. Try some heavier varmint bullets to see if there is a difference.

3- The last 2 .243 Remington 700s I have played with and my buddie's he got last year were all SUB MOA shooters right out of the box so you should be able to do much better than 2.5 MOA. Actually I can't remember the last Remington I bought or sighted in for someone that was not at least MOA or better from the factory. If you have an SPS be REALLY careful with the amount of presure you put on the forend SPECIALLY if you use a bipod. The stock that comes with the gun is Ok but has too much flex on it. You might want tio upgrade to a solid synthetic.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Liked 2304 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 506

My experience with Moly coated bullets is limited. I limited it becasue I never got great groups with them. If this is a brand new rifle it may take a little time for the barrel to season and settle in a bit.

As others suggested, it can take a few outings to find a load that your rifle really performs well with.

Again as others suggested, when you start trouble shooting, start with the simple things. Check to ensure that everything is tightened down as far as scope rings, mounts etc. Make sure, if you are using a bench rest or sand bags, that the rifle is:
- sitting in the same place each time you fire.
- your sight picture is exactly the same when the trigger breaks
- if you use a sling, tht the tension is the same
-if you use a bipod, that you have pressure the same if you are pre-loading it, or pushing into it a bit.
- head position and cheek weld are the same so that you have consistent distance of the eye from the occular lens of the scope.
- breathing and pulse are consistent at trigger break.

It's a lot of things to try to keep constant when you are trying to get the best groups that you can.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I, having a 700- 243 think the rifle is definately capable of sub MOA groups with the right factory ammo. Mine doesn't like 100gr federal sp. barely MOA. It does like 100gr Rem Coreloks, 5 shot group .41 inch. I'm not sure I could beat that with home loads. That's also better than I thought I was.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I have a Ruger M77 International .243, w/18" barrel. I load my own now, but had real good results with Hornady Superformance 95gr SST #8046, and Black Hills Gold 95gr Hornady SST. Also look for Match Grade ammo. I do have a 700 in 30-06 that makes one whole, kinda-sorta.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

I would bet it's the choice/weight of bullet. Try a heavier bullet,and your groups should improve if you do your part.
I'd try something in the 75gr-90gr range.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom11

Thanks in advance!
My .243 really likes 80 grain bullets. The quickest way may be to try different ammo and see what changes. Good luck

Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3393 Posts
Likes Given: 5592

1. Throw that scope in the trash bin.

2. With a quality scope installed, shoot a few groups with several different bullet weights.

3. If it still can't reach one inch have a gunsmith chgeck ouit the rifle.

Winston Churchill