OK everyone, I need some help! - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > OK everyone, I need some help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
OK well I went to cabelas and picked this up. I checked out both guns in question and bought this Marlin 336y. I have read about Marlin having some poor quality issues lately and this doesn't seem to be affected.
I will get to the range this weekend to shoot it. I also bought the kids their first gun, a ruger 10/22.
IMHO you made the right choice. I kept a 336 for years as truck gun and have shot a pile of deer, ground hogs and other varmits with it.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #22

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Yeah I'm really happy with it. It's a really solid feeling gun.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2723

Quote:
Yeah I'm really happy with it. It's a really solid feeling gun.
Nice rifle but to be honest I hate leaving that in the truck. It would have to go in the house for safe keeping.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

I believe the Y stands for youth and it will have a shorter lop on the stock. You might want to look into an inexpensive but very useful recoil boot. It will lengthen the lop, give you some padding and protect the butt stock which tends to get abused in a truck. you can get receiver sight kits for the Marlin including the Williams ace in the hole which gives you a scope rail and a peep sight along with a fiber optic front blade. I have seen hog hunters use the low mount red dots like the Sparc,TRS25 and H1 on the Marlins. If you scope it stick with a low range variable like 1-4x or 2-7x.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #25

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

I agree, you got a couple fine guns.

After 200 yards, most folks need a

scoped bolt-action. You wouldn't want

that floating around in the back of your

truck getting beat up, anyway.

I love my Marlin lever. Looks as good as it

shoots.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #26

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I believe the Y stands for youth and it will have a shorter lop on the stock. You might want to look into an inexpensive but very useful recoil boot. It will lengthen the lop, give you some padding and protect the butt stock which tends to get abused in a truck. you can get receiver sight kits for the Marlin including the Williams ace in the hole which gives you a scope rail and a peep sight along with a fiber optic front blade. I have seen hog hunters use the low mount red dots like the Sparc,TRS25 and H1 on the Marlins. If you scope it stick with a low range variable like 1-4x or 2-7x.
Yes the "y" is for youth. But it fits me well. I'm not a big guy, I'm 5'9 @170lbs. The 16 inch barrel is great. Can't wait to shoot it.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Mossberg 590 mariner with slugs. It will reach through things and out to over 200yards. Its cheap enough and won't rust much.

Ak47 underfolder is another great choice. Tidy compact and who cares if it rusts a little its a cheap piece of ruskie junk that holds 30 rounds of get the hell away from me so I can get home alive....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Yes the "y" is for youth. But it fits me well. I'm not a big guy, I'm 5'9 @170lbs. The 16 inch barrel is great. Can't wait to shoot it.
Congratulations and enjoy it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.