NRA delema? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > NRA delema?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1726 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Agree-
I wish we had THREE (at least) on the gun owners side
So, whats wrong with expecting you congressman/senator to be on your side. Let them know you vote and you have a long memory. You are already paying for that representation.

Yea, NRA gets my dues yearly to; I pay for the training and education, but I don't need to be supporting millionaires and Gulfstreams.

Carl Sagan

Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If the NRA wasn't there, and hadn't been there since before you were born, we wouldn't have any guns to be worrying about. Are they perfect? Hell no. Are Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox a pair of grifters? Hell yes. Is it a decent organization that does more good than harm? Hell yes.
If you can't afford the price of one box of ammo per year to help preserve your right to own guns, you don't deserve to own them. What are you doing for the cause with that $30? Buying half a carton of smokes? You want accountability about where your $30 to the NRA goes, when's the last time you braced your Congressman about what HE'S doing for HIS $174K per year for life?
When there are 80 million gun owners in this country and 4 million NRA members, I feel like there are a hell of a lot of slackers sitting in the wagon saying "Why aren't you guys pulling us faster?"
grumble, grumble...
ps. It's dilemma. Spell check is your friend.

Last edited by freefall; 10-15-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: addendum

Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #13

I don't agree with everything the NRA does but there are not exactly a ton of big name gun rights organizations.

Think about it this way:
If you waited for the perfect opportunity to have children, you will never have them.

If you waited for the perfect job, you would still be unemployed.

If you waited for the perfect church, you'd never go.

And if wait for the perfect gun rights group, you'd still not support any.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #14

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Actually FREEFALL, It's $90 a year, self ,Wife and an old retired veteran friend of mine. The last time I confronted <(spell check that) my representtative was Wednesday about my shrinking veterans benafits (speled it that way jist fer yew) I axed for opinions not critysizm about mi speling. I used to worry about crossing all my "T"s and dotting all my "I"s but not any more since I have no problem finding some know it all to correct me. But if you don't mjnd I have a Wife that is very capable. P.S. You may have just influenced my decision. As for not deserving to own a gun if you aren't an NRA member, Thats B.S. I've fought for my country, was born here, pay taxes, paid for my firearms and have a squeeky clean record. I think paying dues to the NRA is just compensating one set of crooks to deal with another. Kind of like the United Way, where something like 14% of what you donate actually goes to charity. Do I donate to charity, absolutely, I do a lot for homeless vets directly. My Wife and I bought shirts,sweatersor jackets, and pants for as many as 11 homeless vets at one time. My wife also baked cookies for them. I think my money may be better spent that way. We have also furnished houses for several people that had next to nothing. As long as I have ammo, I don't need the NRA to defend my right to own a gun. Do I appreciate what the NRA has done, most of the time. I have been a member for quite a while but I think not much longer. I vote pro 2A. which probably doesn't make any more differance than the dues I pay the NRA.

Owning a gun is a right not an entitlement.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 10-16-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #15

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
Actually FREEFALL, It's $90 a year, self ,Wife and an old retired veteran friend of mine. The last time I confronted <(spell check that) my representtative was Wednesday about my shrinking veterans benafits (speled it that way jist fer yew) I axed for opinions not critysizm about mi speling. I used to worry about crossing all my "T"s and dotting all my "I"s but not any more since I have no problem finding some know it all to correct me. But if you don't mjnd I have a Wife that is very capable. P.S. You may have just influenced my decision. As for not deserving to own a gun if you aren't an NRA member, Thats B.S. I've fought for my country, was born here, pay taxes, paid for my firearms and have a squeeky clean record. I think paying dues to the NRA is just compensating one set of crooks to deal with another. Kind of like the United Way, where something like 14% of what you donate actually goes to charity. Do I donate to charity, absolutely, I do a lot for homeless vets directly. My Wife and I bought shirts,sweatersor jackets, and pants for as many as 11 homeless vets at one time. My wife also baked cookies for them. I think my money may be better spent that way. We have also furnished houses for several people that had next to nothing. As long as I have ammo, I don't need the NRA to defend my right to own a gun. Do I appreciate what the NRA has done, most of the time. I have been a member for quite a while but I think not much longer. I vote pro 2A. which probably doesn't make any more differance than the dues I pay the NRA.

Owning a gun is a right not an entitlement.
Amen to that. Yes, amen.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #16

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
If the NRA wasn't there, and hadn't been there since before you were born, we wouldn't have any guns to be worrying about. Are they perfect? Hell no. Are Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox a pair of grifters? Hell yes. Is it a decent organization that does more good than harm? Hell yes.
If you can't afford the price of one box of ammo per year to help preserve your right to own guns, you don't deserve to own them. What are you doing for the cause with that $30? Buying half a carton of smokes? You want accountability about where your $30 to the NRA goes, when's the last time you braced your Congressman about what HE'S doing for HIS $174K per year for life?
When there are 80 million gun owners in this country and 4 million NRA members, I feel like there are a hell of a lot of slackers sitting in the wagon saying "Why aren't you guys pulling us faster?"
grumble, grumble...
ps. It's dilemma. Spell check is your friend.
That's what Hi-Point's for.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Still don't understand why we don't say support both. Better to have two dogs in the fight, even if one just barks a lot, rather than putting all our eggs in one basket, and combined they aren't even 60.00 a year.
Money doesnt grow on trees around here! Actually its becoming about as rare as a virgin in a whore house. The NRA has proven to waste money and do nothing except make Wayne super rich (damn near a million $$ a year!?!? C'mon man!!) (Where the HELL were they when the AWB went into place?? How about the rest of the unconstitutional infringements Hmm?? Hmm?)

Quote:
I SO hate the whole "everyone has $30 laying around" BS!! Some DONT! Some struggle to pay bills and a box or two of bullets to take the family for a day of fun is a SERIOUS strain on the budget...But I dont DESERVE my guns?? EPIC FAIL!! You're part of the problem!! For the record, i dont smoke and as far as "bracing" my representatives...i am suprised i havent been "disappeared" by now and have taken up full time residence @ Guantanamo with all the calls e-mails and snail mail i send!

Quote:
So, whats wrong with expecting you congressman/senator to be on your side. Let them know you vote and you have a long memory. You are already paying for that representation.
See above, bro.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #18

The NRA is not perfect by any means. Yes, I get tired of the constant bombardment of buy this, donate to this. But, I am a member because they do have a voice, a very loud voice in "knothead hall", or as others would call it congress.
Big money speaks and the knotheads will listen...

Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #19

Liked 1288 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 621

While there are problems with the NRA,they do alot for the 2A and for gun owners in general.

If you can afford to be a member,I say why not?

I've been an on/off member for many years,sometimes they just really piss me off and I'll stay away for a year or two.

I'm also a member of my state gun association,and feel it does me more good than the NRA.

The mailings and emails that the NRA begging machine keeps rolling,can be Opted out of very easy,and all that stuff will stop coming to you.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2747 Times on 1498 Posts
Likes Given: 788

I am a member of both and I get mail from GOA asking for money too. Neither organization can operate on membership fees alone. Lobbying in Washington and all 50 states is not cheap. Legal fees for challenging laws in the courts are enormous. Get real people. It takes money to defend our 2A rights.