Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > NRA delema?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default NRA delema?

It will soon be time to renew my membership with the NRA. I'm torn between renewing and droping it. I'm not sure if they are truly defending the 2A or if they just want my money. I don't like the fact that they give you A cheap Chinese pocket knife to encourage me to re-up. I don't like the constant soliticitation of more funds. I would like to know what part of my dues is actually spent on defending my rights. Just asking for some feedback or personal opinions.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
It will soon be time to renew my membership with the NRA. I'm torn between renewing and droping it. I'm not sure if they are truly defending the 2A or if they just want my money. I don't like the fact that they give you A cheap Chinese pocket knife to encourage me to re-up. I don't like the constant soliticitation of more funds. I would like to know what part of my dues is actually spent on defending my rights. Just asking for some feedback or personal opinions.
I just got (re)started in shooting this year and wrestled with the idea of joining the NRA. The shrillness of their 2A defense fundraising material is annoying. (I get it from a number of other causes too, so I'm not just pciking on the NRA.) But what convinced me to join was that I'm very much in favor of training and education, and NRA does a very good job with that. So I figure it's worth paying the dues to support that. I just don't respond to the 2A fundraising requests - I'd rather support my local and state organizations who are doing that.

I don't know about mail solicitations, but you should be able to request to be removed from their email list. A member of another forum I read (nyshooters.net - great place if you're in New York) said he was able to get them to quit making phone calls too by calling the NRA's member service office and requesting it.

Dave

"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
- The Simpsons

Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #3

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Your dilemma is due to the fact that you've identified the NRA as a capitalist venture.

Sure, they do a few good things yearly to benefit the cause, but all in the big picture, we are.t their first concern. Money is.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #4

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Personally I don't give to the NRA, and I get my yearly membership as a gift from my stepfather every Christmas.

I won't give them money, for 2 reasons. First, I have groceries and gas to pay for, not to mention the rent, and I'm on a limited income. Will donating 20 bucks to help the cause really hurt me or my finances? No. So I move on to my second point which is, I want the accountability that you mentioned. When you get a speeding ticket in MS, you get a receipt showing the breakdown of exactly where your fine is going. I want the same thing from the NRA.

If Wayne LaPierre is working for a non profit and supposedly making over a mil per year (IDK for sure, hence "supposedly"), then I really, really, really want to know just exactly where the hell the money is going.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the American Rifleman, the cool stickers to put on my truck, and am pretty sure that they are at least doing something, I just feel, as I mentioned in another post, that they are in the business of making money, otherwise, they'd be out of business.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a member of both the NRA and GOA.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #6

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

They ain't perfect by any means & yes they are always wanting money BUT-
Who else do we have involved in big guverment to speak or act in the gun owners interest?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Send your money to the GOA...they DO NOT compromise.unlike the NRA that have all but compromised our rights away!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #8

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Send your money to the GOA...they DO NOT compromise.unlike the NRA that have all but compromised our rights away!
Still don't understand why we don't say support both. Better to have two dogs in the fight, even if one just barks a lot, rather than putting all our eggs in one basket, and combined they aren't even 60.00 a year.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #9

Well, in this "not so great" culture we live in "money is the mother's milk of politics" and the nature of the game is to rabble rouse a little bit and overstate the problem. Its just the nature of the beast. On the other hand the NRA has been very successful in its own way. Elite people who pull the strings in our society are repelled by guns and gun ownership so there needs to be a strong organization that defends gun ownership.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #10

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Still don't understand why we don't say support both. Better to have two dogs in the fight, even if one just barks a lot, rather than putting all our eggs in one basket, and combined they aren't even 60.00 a year.
Agree-
I wish we had THREE (at least) on the gun owners side

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET