Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Now this is a fast bullet! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/now-fast-bullet-81527/)

Dearhunter 01-16-2013 06:39 PM

Now this is a fast bullet!
 
I received a video from Inside Tract. Winchester has come out with a
.17 Super mag round. Travels over 3000 fps.

hope this link works.. once there scoll down and wait

http://video.huntingclub.com/video/17-Winchester-Super-Magnum-Ball

Gizord1 01-16-2013 08:41 PM

This months outdoor life has an article on it. I has a WAY better trajectory and range than the .17 HMR or the .22 mag

jpattersonnh 01-16-2013 09:10 PM

That is a 20gr bullet. I can easily push a Barnes 52gr XFB or Speer 53grHP to 3200fps. It will carry more energy, be accurate at further distance then the .17WSM. It does come close to the .17 Hornet. Well not really, that is at 3600+ fpr w/ a 20gr. A 40gr .223 can easily hit 3900fps. I'm not sure what the hype is about. You get 1 shot w/ a cartridge. You can't reload it, so you are at the whim of your local shop, and manufacturers.

bigdaddy573 01-16-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
That is a 20gr bullet. I can easily push a Barnes 52gr XFB or Speer 53grHP to 3200fps. It will carry more energy, be accurate at further distance then the .17WSM. It does come close to the .17 Hornet. Well not really, that is at 3600+ fpr w/ a 20gr. A 40gr .223 can easily hit 3900fps. I'm not sure what the hype is about. You get 1 shot w/ a cartridge. You can't reload it, so you are at the whim of your local shop, and manufacturers.

Its manly because ranchers and farmers don't let people hunt on there property with centerfire round like the 17 hornet and 223 so It helps out there plus it a rimfire that shoots a bullet 3000 fps that's pretty sweet and it still cheap to shoot not the cheapest but you get what I'm saying lol

jpattersonnh 01-16-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 (Post 1096710)
Its manly because ranchers and farmers don't let people hunt on there property with centerfire round like the 17 hornet and 223 so It helps out there plus it a rimfire that shoots a bullet 3000 fps that's pretty sweet and it still cheap to shoot not the cheapest but you get what I'm saying lol

I here you, but it can cause issues in places like southern NH. It is rimfire only or shotgun. A 250-300 yard rimfire may change the rules to shotgun only. That would not make me happy. There are quite a few fields that owners will let you shoot woodchucks on, this may change that also w/ the 1st errant round that hits a house or barn because the shooter thinks he is now a super sniper. It's not going to be as quiet as a .22lr, .22wmr, or .17hmr either.

bigdaddy573 01-16-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

I here you, but it can cause issues in places like southern NH. It is rimfire only or shotgun. A 250-300 yard rimfire may change the rules to shotgun only. That would not make me happy. There are quite a few fields that owners will let you shoot woodchucks on, this may change that also w/ the 1st errant round that hits a house or barn because the shooter thinks he is now a super sniper. It's not going to be as quiet as a .22lr, .22wmr, or .17hmr either.

Ya true time will tell I really don't believe it's goin to be that popular because I think the guns for them will be overpriced till the new wears down plus the 17hmr already has the varmint world in it's hands because people normally go from 17hmr to 223 for extra power and range

jpattersonnh 01-16-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 (Post 1096753)
Ya true time will tell I really don't believe it's goin to be that popular because I think the guns for them will be overpriced till the new wears down plus the 17hmr already has the varmint world in it's hands because people normally go from 17hmr to 223 for extra power and range

I'm kinda old fashioned. I have a Browning A-bolt Gold Medallion in .22wmr. It is a tack driver at 100 yards and past. I bought a Marlin 917V for my boys from a shop that owed me a favor. I did not pay retail. The Marlin is a fun rifle, but no where near the quality of the Browning. That has a 1lb trigger. Fit and finish like glass. My .223 is a CZ527 varminter. Similar to the Browning in quality. The single set trigger is set at 12oz. I hope your right about the .22wsm, but as we know, the potential to politicians is worse then reality.

bigdaddy573 01-16-2013 11:18 PM

Ya I I'm lil old school to my 22 lr is a Winchester model 9422 and I love it smooth and accurate then I have a 22-250 for my many varminter buster one of these days im goin to get me a 22mag but i can never find one used at a good price but ya I think winchester wanted to add another round to the wsm line just like the 223,243,25wssm good rounds but point less


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.