Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Not sure what gun to get for a starter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/not-sure-what-gun-get-starter-40881/)

hockeyfights118 04-06-2011 02:49 AM

Not sure what gun to get for a starter

So hey. I am a dad, and my son whose 14 and I want to start shooting ast the nearest range.

What sort of license do we have to get?

What is the best, cheapest rifle availible for us that is not a shotgun and has semi but also is fun to shoot with some kick?

bgeddes 04-06-2011 03:02 AM

Welcome to the forum!! Don't forget to hit the intro section.:)

Most of us tell new shooters to start with a .22LR. Many would say a bolt action gun, but if that's not what you want no problem. While I am not an owner of one, a good starter .22 semi-auto would be a Ruger 10/22. My reasoning for that choice would be the pieces, parts and add-ons available will certainly keep a 14 year old shooter interested. The cost of .22 ammo will leave lots of available funds to buy goodies and shoot it often.

If you are new to shooting, find someone to give you some basic safety training. Most states have some sort of hunter safety program. While much of it is focused on gathering game, typically gun safety is covered well.

Local and state laws seem to differ everywhere. I'm sure someone from your area will chime in here.

General_lee 04-06-2011 01:51 PM

I don't know what the gun laws are in your state. Hopefully someone that knows will stop by this thread and help out. Here in GA there's no license required to purchase or own a gun.
I too would recommend starting out with a .22 bolt action, the bolt action encourages making every shot count instead of just spraying bullets.
.22's don't have much, if any recoil at all, but they are fun and cheap to shoot.
If you want something with a little kick, then you might want to try something chambered in .223 (AR-15, Mini 14) or maybe even 7.62x39 (SKS, AK-47).

jgand72 04-06-2011 03:15 PM

I would definitely go with a .22 to start. I started on my dad's old .22s. The ammo is cheap enough to shoot often. I just moved up to a 5.56/.223 AR, but I think I was definitely good starting on a .22.

rjgnwdc 04-06-2011 03:24 PM

no kick but

I agree with the other fellows about the .22lr but I would lean more to the semi-auto type you can go through a lot of ammo but it is dirt cheap and the boy will love it, the good thing about not having any kick is you can get real good real fast all my kids did and all have kept their .22's and got larger caliber rifle as they got older. I bought them Marlins 60's except my youngest girl got a 795 I believe it was a plastic (polymer) version. I also got them all Tasco scopes with them after they learn to shoot.

dks7895 11-03-2011 12:03 AM

In Missouri, all you need is a valid driver's license, a clean record, and method of payment. I agree that 22lr is the best platform to start. If you want a cheap semi auto centerfire, check out a SKS. Cabela's has them on sale for $299

Axxe55 11-03-2011 08:11 AM

if both of you are newer shooters, i would suggest a 22lr also in bolt action to work on shooting skills and accuracy. but the Marlin M60 is a good inexpensive semi-auto that is very accurate also. if you both are wanting a centerfire rifle and have some skill shooting, check out the Savage Axis in 243 or the Marlin XS7 in 243, also very accurate and affordable. the 243 would be a great caliber for both of you to shoot.

dks7895 11-03-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 618330)
if both of you are newer shooters, i would suggest a 22lr also in bolt action to work on shooting skills and accuracy. but the Marlin M60 is a good inexpensive semi-auto that is very accurate also. if you both are wanting a centerfire rifle and have some skill shooting, check out the Savage Axis in 243 or the Marlin XS7 in 243, also very accurate and affordable. the 243 would be a great caliber for both of you to shoot.

I love the .243 Winchester cartridge. However, it's a little pricey to plink with. I feel the .223 Rem or 7.62x39 would be more economical.

therewolf 11-03-2011 03:44 PM

Well, while I would be the first to agree the .22LR is a rifle you should not

be without, you did say you want something with a little kick.

Welcome to the wild world of Combloc Milsurp!

An SKS is generally more accurate than an AK, and can be had in the

250-300$ price range. The ammo is cheap in bulk, 640 round spam cans for

@140.00. The 7.62 x 39 ammo kicks a little, but it's semi-auto, so

a lot of recoil is absorbed by

the rifle cycling a new round.

Now, a Mosin Nagant bolt action will run you about 90$ plus shipping and

FFL, and ammo is about the approximate equivalent of 30.06, in

overall performance and recoil, for 150 grain FMJ bullets.

440 round spam cans of 7.64 x 54R run around $85.00 each IF you

want something which kicks a little more.

Axxe55 11-03-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dks7895 (Post 618372)
I love the .243 Winchester cartridge. However, it's a little pricey to plink with. I feel the .223 Rem or 7.62x39 would be more economical.

yes i agree, either one of those would also be good choices for starter centerfire rifles. the 223 comes in many different platforms, such as semi auto, bolt action, single shot, and many different price levels. good point there.