Not bad for 426 yards - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Not bad for 426 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Thanks Apex for the help. The bullets we were using were 150 grain Winchester with the lead tips. They were hunting rounds, trying to find some good bullet heads to reload to see if we can do better but not having any luck with that. Everything that my Spear manuel uses I can't find online.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #22

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well I load the same rifle in the same caliber so anything you need feel free to ask. I load Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, and Barnes in 30 cal. Not a big fan of the Winchester Power Point bullets (gray box) they have never shot well in any of my rifles except my Tikka 6.5x55 but it shoots EVERYTHING well.
Just to give you some ideas here are some of the bullets I load and what I think of them.
Sierra Game King: Very good performers on thin skinned game, but as I said they can be excessive in a full powered 30-06, they open fast and leave BIG exit wounds! I posted pics of a 9.5" exit wound my 165gr load left on our last deer of the season. Sierra bullets are famous for being very easy to stroke accuracy out of, I will certainly vouch for that in every one of my rifles the Sierras are either the most accurate or running a close second.
Nosler Ballistic Tips: Another bang flop killer, the lead alloy they use is fascinating, the weight they do fragment is in larger pieces that I usually find in the far side rib cage basically making an 8" shotgun pattern of fragments through the vitals, not ideal for thicker bodied game but make for dramatic kills on deer. Accuracy is more hit or miss, some rifles like poly tips others just seem not to like them, my 30-06 loves them.
Hornady SST: A very close copy of the Ballistic Tip, not quite as tough in my opinion but just as deadly on deer.
Barnes TSX: A unique all copper bullet that retain nearly 100% of their weight making for some remarkable penetration and consistent wound tracts, only issues I have with them is they are VERY picky on load and seating depth, not a good bullet for a new handloader, and they cost twice as much as some of my other favorites.
Nosler Partition: A legend in the hunting world, unquestionably the standard by which all others are judged, they have a metal partition between the front and rear cores making for a bullet that almost cannot fail, only catch is they are pricy, too much so for the volume I shoot.
Speer Deep Curl: A truly unique bullet that has a plated copper jacket bonding to the lead core, this is designed to be an extremely wide expanding bullet, jury is still out on this being as new as it is but my range time with them in four different calibers has shown it to be a very accurate bullet and not picky at all, in my 6.5x55 it shot .4-.6" groups all the way from starting load to max first time out. Oh and at their price they are a great value, most bonded bullets cost twice as much.
Just give me a shout if you have any questions

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-09-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 AM   #23

Really appreciate this information. Going to go over this with my brother since we are going in halves with the bullets and powders and such. Our dies and brass trimmers should be here tomorrow. I've reloaded pistol but never rifle. I got the rcbs full lengrh die set and the redding 2400 brass trimmer. Going to Prescott this weekend. Hopefully while I'm there I can find some of these bullets along with the powder

Old 05-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #24

Cool. What powders/bullets do you have in mind?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #25

Right now I don't know. Everything I've looked on line for isn't available. As far as powders goes anything I can find that is in the spear reloading book. I only have the one book so going to have to follow their guide lines till I know more of what I'm doing. But since we both have about 200 brass cases each we were thinking about make 100 fmj with different loads and seeing what our guns like best. But honestly the first reloads are probably going to be made up from what bullets we can find just to get the hang of reloading rifle rounds.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #26

If you are going to be using 150gr I would sugest picking up some RL19 which has been pretty easy to find around here, 61.5gr is your max load (per Nosler) that is a really good shooting load for me and the fine folks at Nosler said it was the most accurate in their test rifle too.
For 165s I REALLY like IMR4350 it works like a charm, 57gr is your max.
And if you ever feel the need to go with a heavy 180gr get some RL22 61gr is your max and sure to hit hard on both ends of the gun.
Every reloader should own at leased a couple manuals to cross reference with, if you have the extra cash the Nosler manual is my favorite and well worth the money, skip the new Hornady #9 they really urked me off skipping some vital information including load data for their A-Max bullets in the 30-06 I wrote them a nasty e-mail about that.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #27

Your right about owning different manuels. My one manuel is lacking with alot of the bullets out there