Next Rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Next Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Next Rifle?

What do you think?

Arsenal AK SGL21 in 7.62X39?

ORRR

Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308....I already have an SKS but I do not have a .308 in my caliber collection.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2358 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 678

The Ruger might be interesting with the right scope. It requires a long eye relief or pistol scope. Possibly an EOTech or red dot. I would look to see what kind of optic you would want on it before jumping.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #3

I was going to scope it with a long Eye Relief or possibly a Vortex Strike fire.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5984 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

i was looking at 308s a little bit ago. i went with savage 10FCP-SR. threaded barrel 5/8-24 thread pitch, accutrigger, accustock, 10 round box mag uses the same mags as the ruger scout.

ive always considered the scout rifle bolt gun to be nothing but a gimmick. it doesnt really do much well. cant put a good longrange scope on it. its too slow an action for quick follow ups. doesnt make any sense to even have an optic on such a design much less using a red dot. the scout doesnt even allow for a good set of superior iron sights. the stock sights are a joke.

if your going to get a 308 and you want long range firepower with fast follow ups an AR10 is a no brainer. can mount easily very high quality irons or a good long or shortrange scope

if you want a long range bolt gun there are a LOT better options than a ruger scout.

if you just like the way it looks and like the ruger m77 design nothing wrong with that. just dont expect it to be anything target grade quality.

just my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1493 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

I did see the Ruger Scout featured on some show. It was stated that it had a short stout barrel that was design to put a lot of shots down range and still hold a good group. The host then fired 10 rounds to show how well it grouped. The host also stated that few other guns could fire that many shots that fast and still group that well. I'm liking that gun more and more after seeing that. It's maneuverable, simple, tough, and can throw a lot of lead down range fairly accurately. It's not going to outshine any other gun in any one category, but it would make a good tough as nails jack of all trades.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've heard nothing, but good things about the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2358 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 678

you are going to lose quite a bit of velocity in that short barrel. If you reload, you can compensate some with faster burning powder. 300 yards is probably the max so a high power scope is not an advantage. The short stiff barrels do hold accuracy and grouping very well. I used to load for an 18" barreled 243 that was capable of 1 hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds. It was the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-26-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #8

If I want a rifle accurate passed 300 yards I'll get one. I just want a jack of all trades rifle to add to my collection...and the Scout rifle looks like one of those rifles.

You are going to lose about 200 FPS in a 16 inch barrel but that's just fine for me as it's going to be a 100-300 yard gun. Good for deer hunting and well human hunting.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

That Ruger looks like it would be a hoot. Either way what ever you decide to go with don't forget to fill us in.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #10

And what's good is money is not an issue at all.

Getting the rest of my 25,000 bonus on the 1st more than likely.

Gonna looooove that 15 Grand showing up in my bank account.