Newbie at rifles - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Newbie at rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 04:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BigO01
Even a 223 or a hot 22 magnum wont cause a small animal like a ground chuck to receive damage that looks like a bomb went off inside of it .
Yes it does it is called Red misting in the varmint hunting world. It is like dusting a clay in trap or skeet just with a small furry Disney type animal.

I beg to differ and I have PROOF of what a 223 will do to a chuck. The rabbit I shot with my 308 was at 50 yards using a 165gr Sierra HPBT GameKing.

The Ground Hog below was shot at 100 yards exactly (He was eating grass around the sign on my range). That is the Damage done by a 50gr Hornady v-max moving along at a nice 3500 fps. The hole is big enough for a grown man to fit his entire fist in the chest cavity. Looks like a bomb went off in side of him to me.

Newbie at rifles - General Rifle Discussion

Newbie at rifles - General Rifle Discussion

Last edited by cpttango30; 09-27-2008 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:25 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Those pictures you present hardly support this statement

The last time I shot a rabbit with a 308 the darn thing exploded and there was nothing at all left but blood and fur.
There's a whole bunch more left there than "Blood and fur" and that was with a bullet designed to expand on a small animal which is actually much bigger than the average rabbit .

I see legs , the head and the entire hind quarters untouched so if you had to eat that chuck there is still plenty of meat available even being shot with a 22 centerfire .

GameKing® bullets are designed for hunting at long range, where their extra margin of performance can make the critical difference. GameKing® bullets feature a boat tail design to bring hunters the ballistic advantage of match bullets.
So you used a long range big game bullet which is designed for controlled expansion and deep penetration at longer ranges and you want us to believe it blew up on a little bitty rabbit at 50 yards to the point it had more damage than that chuck shot with a 22 centerfire traveling at 3500 fps ?

A big game bullet at that range on that small of an animal would blow through without expanding and leave a small little hole .