newbie with a question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > newbie with a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default newbie with a question

I have an opportunity to purchase a Remington bolt action rifle, I think it is a Model 591. The caliber is 5 MM and it is a rimfire. very nice looking rifle but I understand the 5 MM ammo is no longer available and this gun is really not very valuable. My question is this: can this gun be rechambered, rebarreled, whatever in order to make it an economical shooter? How expensive is it to re-barrel a rifle like this? Thanks for any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Any rifle action can be re-barreled and re-chambered. The question becomes what is the action worth, versus what the work needed to get to where you want to get to is going to cost.

Rebarreling a rimfire kind of sounds like a waste of cash to me, since they aren't that expensive in the first place.

The 591m was discontinued, so finding parts like extractors or firing pins are going to leave you at the mercy of Ebay and places like that.

For around the same price, you can probably find several newer designs that would treat you a bit better.

Your mileage may vary, that's just my $0.02

JD