Newbie Question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbie Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

OP, don't rush into the purchase... Read around on this forum as well as rimfirecentral.com (if .22 is how you think youre going to go)... I find that if I just buy it I won't always be happy with it but some diligent reading on all the forums here can help you point your purchase in the right direction for your individual situation... And if that doesn't work just do whatever C3 says cuz he knows EVERYTHING!

Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #12

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

JMHO but I think a bolt action is the only way to go for a first rifle. A lot of the novice shooters get spoiled and start to put rounds fired over accuracy. Generaly speaking Bolt actions tend to be more accurate than semi autos. I bought my first S.A.s last year and sold both because they were not as accurate as my least accurate 22. bolt action. I have several. I'm sure I will get plenty of arguement with these statements, thats not my intention. I just feel it is fair to warn you that in general to get a fair level of accuracy you will spend a more money on a S.A.. I feel that starting with a semi auto is like skipping elementary school. JMHO

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #13

Liked 345 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by apowers1214 View Post
C3 is there anything that you are not a wealth of knowledge on contained in this forum. lol
as one of my co-workers daughter's would say, "i know that i know everything because i can't think of a single thing i don't know"

all kidding aside, my reccomendation would be a bolt action .22 to start, cheap to buy & cheap to shoot.

i gotta give the OP props for havin the nutz to ask & post questions though, alotta people would probably just buy something & try to figure out how it works & what to do with it later. if you know some people that own firearms, see if they can show you in person some of the differences between the different types of actions, bullet sizes, etc. or head down to a local gun store & ask an employee to give you a hand. don't let someone bully you into thinking "[insert caliber here] is a p*ssy round, you need something bigger"

welcome to shooting, try to research & learn as much as you can & maybe one day you'll know as much as C3

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Last edited by donthav1; 02-29-2012 at 03:49 AM.