Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbie Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie Question

I'm sorry to be so elementary, but I am new to guns. I am looking to buy my first rifle and know NOTHING about them. Is there a resource that explains the difference in bolt action, semi auto, etc? I hate to burden the forums with a bunch of beginners questions so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Try to run some googles first or you tubes about how a bolt action works ,semi-auto, single shot , pump action and so forth.

Are you wanting a basic .22lr to start with or centerfire?
Are you planeing on hunting? tree rats or deer?
A bit more info needed with a better idea of what you paln to do.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Just google the various types of guns and read all you can. You can also use the search feature on this forum and read past threads. A good search might be "first gun"? Also keep in mind that we all had to learn this stuff at some point so never be embarrassed to ask questions.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh737
I'm sorry to be so elementary, but I am new to guns. I am looking to buy my first rifle and know NOTHING about them. Is there a resource that explains the difference in bolt action, semi auto, etc? I hate to burden the forums with a bunch of beginners questions so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks!
We are here to help if this going to be your first rifle get a 22 lr in bolt action savage makes some for a good price or u can get a ruger 10/22 at a good price and it semi auto witch mean every time u pull the trigger it will shoot and a bolt action mean u have to work the bolt every time u want to shoot

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Thanks! I'm using the search function now. From what I've read so far, the Ruger 10/22 looks like the ticket. I just downloaded the Ruger catalog. Alot of info.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We like beginners. We were all beginners at one time and are happy to have new folks taking up the hobby/sport/avocation. The more folks that get involved, the better.

I encourage you to sign up for a Hunters Safety or Firearm Safety class. The class will go over the basics of most types of sporting firearms.

See if you can find a range that rents guns. Some do. Then rent a few to test them out and see what you like to shoot.

A Classic first rifle is a 22 Long Rifle. I like Bolt Action 22 LR because it is slow and allows you to focus on technique, and with the right gun, you can keep it and teach the grand kids with it when they come along. You can shoot it a bunch for $20 (550 rounds) whereas something bigger might cost $18 for 20 rounds.

Some folks will recommend a Semi Auto 22 LR. They are great too. But IMO, they are a better second purchase after the bolt action.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Here are some good resources where you can learn a lot in a short amount of time... or spend the next 3 months absorbing everything you could possibly wonder about firearms.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy?feature=chclk
http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45?feature=chclk
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/category/tvshows/online-video/
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/home

Here is where you can find out more information on NRA training programs:
http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/index.asp

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Couple of random thoughts. First, we now have State forums here on FTF- check on your state forum, and see if there are some folks near you that you can meet up with.

Second, over in Anniston Alabama the Civilian Marksmanship Program has one of their 2 stores. If you are in that neighborhood, drop in for a chat about learning opportunities. Program called an Apple Seed Shoot may interest you. Also Hunter Safety program- check w/ your state game department for opportunities.

Last, check on your State Rifle Association (google) They can probably offer some guidance. That, and hit the library. Keep a few gun books in the bathroom and use the time for some reading.

And welcome to the forum!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #9

Wow, I'm in the Anniston area a couple of times a month. I will definitely check it out. Great info so far, guys. Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Couple of random thoughts. First, we now have State forums here on FTF- check on your state forum, and see if there are some folks near you that you can meet up with.

Second, over in Anniston Alabama the Civilian Marksmanship Program has one of their 2 stores. If you are in that neighborhood, drop in for a chat about learning opportunities. Program called an Apple Seed Shoot may interest you. Also Hunter Safety program- check w/ your state game department for opportunities.

Last, check on your State Rifle Association (google) They can probably offer some guidance. That, and hit the library. Keep a few gun books in the bathroom and use the time for some reading.

And welcome to the forum!
C3 is there anything that you are not a wealth of knowledge on contained in this forum. 😁 lol