Newbie needs advice about first rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbie needs advice about first rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie needs advice about first rifle

I have been to the range twice now with friends, shot a 22, a .308, a mouser. I didnt want to leave there it was great fun. What kind of rifle would you reccomend for someone who will just be shooting target practice at the range.

Shooting the .308 and the mouser was fun but had too much kick, and the 22 was pretty boring to shoot. I have a pretty low budget range between $300-$400 at the very most

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, i want to try and learn alot more about this sport and appreciate your advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7329 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

A .22 boring to shoot? I have a .22 pistol and I think it is very fun to shoot!! What makes it 'boring' to you? If you tell us what you expect and want in your shooting experience, we may be able to help you decide what might suit you.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #3

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermakeruk
I have been to the range twice now with friends, shot a 22, a .308, a mouser. I didnt want to leave there it was great fun. What kind of rifle would you reccomend for someone who will just be shooting target practice at the range.

Shooting the .308 and the mouser was fun but had too much kick, and the 22 was pretty boring to shoot. I have a pretty low budget range between $300-$400 at the very most

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, i want to try and learn alot more about this sport and appreciate your advice.
I hate to tell you, but if you are new to this sport you need to start out with a .22. I suggest a rugar 10/22 with a couple of 25 rd mags from butler creak.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #4

Sorry boring was the wrong word, i guess what i meant that it was more of a rush using the other rifles.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Look at some 223.s Its fun to shoot easy on recoil and want break the bank to shoot and savage and Marlin make good gun around your price range

Old 01-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermakeruk
Sorry boring was the wrong word, i guess what i meant that it was more of a rush using the other rifles.
Well a 338 ultra mag is out so go with a good 223 or 243 they will provide plenty of yeee haaa time while u develope proper shooting form then step up to a big bang

Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are looking for recoil, blast etc almost any large caliber will do.
I find shooting is a collaboration between the firearm and ones self. If you want to be a marksman and hit what you aim at, the suggestion of a 10-22, as mentioned, will serve you well. It is inexpensive to shoot, capable of accuracy, and with a 25 round may suffice in your wanting to blast things.
After you can regularly put your shots into a 2 inch circle at 50 yards or want to really learn to be a marksman, you may be ready to go to an Appleseed shoot =appleseed.com.
Becoming a marksman is the first priority in shooting. After you can hit what you are aiming at you will be able to answer your own question.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Well a 338 ultra mag is out so go with a good 223 or 243 they will provide plenty of yeee haaa time while u develope proper shooting form then step up to a big bang
yea i agree, if a .308 was too much of a kick for you, dont leave the .200 calibers or the 5.00mm range then. a good .223 AR would sound like the middle ground you are looking for.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #9

Liked 749 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 825

I would recommend a piece of soviet engineering... A SKS or a Mosin, both are inexpensive to buy with cheap ammo..
My first gun was a SKS and ive had tons of fun with it.. Its more than a .22 but the ammo isnt too expensive and the recoil is very low.. The Mosin has a bit more kick but isnt bad, and the ammo is still not very much. Often times a Mosin can be bought for less than $100

Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8461 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermakeruk View Post
I have been to the range twice now with friends, shot a 22, a .308, a mouser.

A mouser is a good cat that catches mice. A Mauser is a rifle.

If you focus more on accuracy a .22 can be great fun (that goes for any and all guns). The boys and I use our .22 rifles to shoot paintballs (challenging targets at 25 yards with iron sights) or spinning targets or any number of other things we can think of. Using a target that has a response when hit is great fun (clay birds are great at 100 yards). Shooting paper targets may not give you the satisfaction you are looking for though. You can get a 10-.22 pretty cheap and have some money left over for TONS of shooting (.22 long rifle is the most bangs for the buck out of any other ammo out there.)

Heavy recoil can be a "rush", but in time you will be wanting to hit something when you pull the trigger.