Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Newbie needs advice about first rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/newbie-needs-advice-about-first-rifle-56478/)

shakermakeruk 01-28-2012 05:01 AM

Newbie needs advice about first rifle

I have been to the range twice now with friends, shot a 22, a .308, a mouser. I didnt want to leave there it was great fun. What kind of rifle would you reccomend for someone who will just be shooting target practice at the range.

Shooting the .308 and the mouser was fun but had too much kick, and the 22 was pretty boring to shoot. I have a pretty low budget range between $300-$400 at the very most

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, i want to try and learn alot more about this sport and appreciate your advice.

winds-of-change 01-28-2012 05:14 AM

A .22 boring to shoot? I have a .22 pistol and I think it is very fun to shoot!! What makes it 'boring' to you? If you tell us what you expect and want in your shooting experience, we may be able to help you decide what might suit you.

kryptar19 01-28-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermakeruk
I have been to the range twice now with friends, shot a 22, a .308, a mouser. I didnt want to leave there it was great fun. What kind of rifle would you reccomend for someone who will just be shooting target practice at the range.

Shooting the .308 and the mouser was fun but had too much kick, and the 22 was pretty boring to shoot. I have a pretty low budget range between $300-$400 at the very most

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, i want to try and learn alot more about this sport and appreciate your advice.

I hate to tell you, but if you are new to this sport you need to start out with a .22. I suggest a rugar 10/22 with a couple of 25 rd mags from butler creak. ;)

shakermakeruk 01-28-2012 05:34 AM

Sorry boring was the wrong word, i guess what i meant that it was more of a rush using the other rifles.

bigdaddy573 01-28-2012 05:39 AM

Look at some 223.s Its fun to shoot easy on recoil and want break the bank to shoot and savage and Marlin make good gun around your price range

Muliemaster 01-28-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermakeruk
Sorry boring was the wrong word, i guess what i meant that it was more of a rush using the other rifles.

Well a 338 ultra mag is out so go with a good 223 or 243 they will provide plenty of yeee haaa time while u develope proper shooting form then step up to a big bang

montveil 01-28-2012 02:15 PM

If you are looking for recoil, blast etc almost any large caliber will do.
I find shooting is a collaboration between the firearm and ones self. If you want to be a marksman and hit what you aim at, the suggestion of a 10-22, as mentioned, will serve you well. It is inexpensive to shoot, capable of accuracy, and with a 25 round may suffice in your wanting to blast things.
After you can regularly put your shots into a 2 inch circle at 50 yards or want to really learn to be a marksman, you may be ready to go to an Appleseed shoot =appleseed.com.
Becoming a marksman is the first priority in shooting. After you can hit what you are aiming at you will be able to answer your own question.

Soliferrum 01-28-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliemaster (Post 691697)
Well a 338 ultra mag is out so go with a good 223 or 243 they will provide plenty of yeee haaa time while u develope proper shooting form then step up to a big bang

yea i agree, if a .308 was too much of a kick for you, dont leave the .200 calibers or the 5.00mm range then. a good .223 AR would sound like the middle ground you are looking for.

Trez 01-28-2012 02:57 PM

I would recommend a piece of soviet engineering... A SKS or a Mosin, both are inexpensive to buy with cheap ammo..
My first gun was a SKS and ive had tons of fun with it.. Its more than a .22 but the ammo isnt too expensive and the recoil is very low.. The Mosin has a bit more kick but isnt bad, and the ammo is still not very much. Often times a Mosin can be bought for less than $100

Vikingdad 01-28-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermakeruk (Post 691666)
I have been to the range twice now with friends, shot a 22, a .308, a mouser.

A mouser is a good cat that catches mice. A Mauser is a rifle. ;)

If you focus more on accuracy a .22 can be great fun (that goes for any and all guns). The boys and I use our .22 rifles to shoot paintballs (challenging targets at 25 yards with iron sights) or spinning targets or any number of other things we can think of. Using a target that has a response when hit is great fun (clay birds are great at 100 yards). Shooting paper targets may not give you the satisfaction you are looking for though. You can get a 10-.22 pretty cheap and have some money left over for TONS of shooting (.22 long rifle is the most bangs for the buck out of any other ammo out there.)

Heavy recoil can be a "rush", but in time you will be wanting to hit something when you pull the trigger.