Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbie here, need help with takedown rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Read this thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/looking-shoot-all-25-calibers-my-medusa-38-357-9mm-40686/

Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #42

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

I gots me a Medusa!
They are no longer made, only 500 with about half going overseas.. with that said I only traded a Remmy 870 for mine, so theirs hope.
I did a thread on mine, heres the link: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/medusa-model-47-a-37082/

Its more like 20 calibers some of the listed ones are the same.. Heres what ive come up with in my research.....

9x17mm, .380 ACP, Browning Short, Corto, Kurz, Kratak
9x18mm Ultra
9x18mm Police
9x19mm Parabellum, Luger, NATO
9x20mm Browning Long
9x23mm Largo, Bayard Long
9x23mm Steyr,
9x23mm Win Mag,
9x25mm, Mauser, Export
9mm Glisenti,
9mm Rimmed,
.38 Auto, .38 ACP, 9x23mmSR
.38 Super Auto, Colt Super, 9x23mmSR +P
.38 Short Colt,
.38 Long Colt,
.38 Mid-Range,
.38 S&W, .38 S&W Corto, .380 Rimmed
.38 Special, 9x29mmR
.357 Magnum, 9x33mmR
.356 TSW
Im unsure about.. 9x21 IMI, 9x29 WinMag, and .38 AMU.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I gots me a Medusa!
They are no longer made, only 500 with about half going overseas.. with that said I only traded a Remmy 870 for mine, so theirs hope.
I did a thread on mine, heres the link: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/medusa-model-47-a-37082/

Its more like 20 calibers some of the listed ones are the same.. Heres what ive come up with in my research.....

9x17mm, .380 ACP, Browning Short, Corto, Kurz, Kratak
9x18mm Ultra
9x18mm Police
9x19mm Parabellum, Luger, NATO
9x20mm Browning Long
9x23mm Largo, Bayard Long
9x23mm Steyr,
9x23mm Win Mag,
9x25mm, Mauser, Export
9mm Glisenti,
9mm Rimmed,
.38 Auto, .38 ACP, 9x23mmSR
.38 Super Auto, Colt Super, 9x23mmSR +P
.38 Short Colt,
.38 Long Colt,
.38 Mid-Range,
.38 S&W, .38 S&W Corto, .380 Rimmed
.38 Special, 9x29mmR
.357 Magnum, 9x33mmR
.356 TSW
Im unsure about.. 9x21 IMI, 9x29 WinMag, and .38 AMU.
i'll trade you my pokemon cards for your medusa :P

I like the black hawk better. Something about it turns me on

Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #44

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Actually, Phillips & Rogers made a conversion cylnder for the Ruger revolvers to allow it to fire all the cartridges like the Medusa.. You may be able to find one of those.. The big thing with the Medusa is the extractor that lets you load multiple calibers without using moon clips.. Other revolvers must use moon clips to hold the rimless ACP rounds.

In my opinion, I would find a good rifle / handgun combo that both take the same calibers. Something like a Ruger .44 carbine with a .44 Blackhawk..

Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post

Make people have the idea that you need a large caliber to kill a person. This is a myth. Any bullet can kill any one/thing. I doubt i'll be in any combat situations when SHTF. All i'm worried about is hunting some large game to feed my family and small game as
I doubt you hunt much. You'll starve if you think you'll be able to take large game with a .22. While you might be able to kill anything with any round, the larger caliburs do the job in a quicker and more humane manner. You'll probably miss what your aiming for, and then only wound the animal. The larger caliburs allow for mistakes, smaller ones do not. The animal when hit immediately runs until it dies. Hit them with a .22 and you'll never see it again. Besides that, it's not humane or responsible to hunt with small caliber ammo.

A take down .22 is a great short term option. It would allow you to easily take small game and would be a better option than a stick in a self defense situation. If your getting it for any reason other than that, to will be greatly disappointed when the need for it's use arises.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmason2008 View Post
I doubt you hunt much. You'll starve if you think you'll be able to take large game with a .22. While you might be able to kill anything with any round, the larger caliburs do the job in a quicker and more humane manner. You'll probably miss what your aiming for, and then only wound the animal. The larger caliburs allow for mistakes, smaller ones do not. The animal when hit immediately runs until it dies. Hit them with a .22 and you'll never see it again. Besides that, it's not humane or responsible to hunt with small caliber ammo.

A take down .22 is a great short term option. It would allow you to easily take small game and would be a better option than a stick in a self defense situation. If your getting it for any reason other than that, to will be greatly disappointed when the need for it's use arises.
Point taken. Thank you for your comment.

With that said, would you recommend any take down rifles in a higher caliber? Either bolt or semi auto?

Marlin just came out with the new XT models. They come in .17hr- is a 17hr good for hunting mid to large game? from a long distance perhaps?
They have 2 screws which take the rifle into, it's not a takedown rifle per-say.

Also Rossi has a take down rifle, each with 22lr, 12ga, 50cal, 243 win, .243, 410ga.
Would a rossi be good for hunting large game?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Point taken. Thank you for your comment.

With that said, would you recommend any take down rifles in a higher caliber? Either bolt or semi auto?

Marlin just came out with the new XT models. They come in .17hr- is a 17hr good for hunting mid to large game? from a long distance perhaps?
They have 2 screws which take the rifle into, it's not a takedown rifle per-say.

Also Rossi has a take down rifle, each with 22lr, 12ga, 50cal, 243 win, .243, 410ga.
Would a rossi be good for hunting large game?
For large game, you wouldn't want to use anything under a .270, and that could be considered pushing it a little bit. I'm not familiar with the Rossi gun, but a 12 gauge slug would definitly do the trick.

Also, as an FYI, it would be beneficial for you to go deer hunting sometime soon if your plan involves doing so in a survival situation. With that in mind states have laws that make it illegal to hunt with anything under a certain caliber (caliber varies by states and sometimes counties). I suggest finding out what the laws are where you would hunt and then find a gun that falls into the legal range.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmason2008 View Post
For large game, you wouldn't want to use anything under a .270, and that could be considered pushing it a little bit. I'm not familiar with the Rossi gun, but a 12 gauge slug would definitly do the trick.

Also, as an FYI, it would be beneficial for you to go deer hunting sometime soon if your plan involves doing so in a survival situation. With that in mind states have laws that make it illegal to hunt with anything under a certain caliber (caliber varies by states and sometimes counties). I suggest finding out what the laws are where you would hunt and then find a gun that falls into the legal range.
Thanks! checking my state website right now.

Question: a 12ga, what's the distance you can shoot or hunt a deer with? isn't a 12ga a bunch of small pellets?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #49

from the indiana deer hunting guide- 2011
Firearms: Shotguns, handguns, centerfire rifles with legal cartridges, muzzleloading
long guns and muzzleloading handguns
are legal during the firearm season. Only
muzzleloading firearms are legal during the
muzzleloader season. It is illegal to have a
silencer while hunting. Laser sights are legal
for hunting deer.
Hunters may carry more than one type of
legal firearm when hunting during the firearm
season only.
Shotguns must be 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-
gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or
saboted bullets. Rifled slug barrels are
permitted. Combination rifle-shotguns are not
allowed.
Muzzleloading firearms must be .44
caliber or larger, loaded with a single bullet
of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are
allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber
or larger. a muzzleloading firearm must
be loaded from the muzzle. Multiple-barrel
muzzleloading long guns are allowed.
Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a
minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and
have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches
are legal to use only during the deer firearm
season. Some cartridges legal for deer
hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40
Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44
Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester,
.45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475
Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 action Express,
and .500 S&W.
handguns for deer hunting: Handguns,
other than muzzle loading, must have a
barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire
a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The
handgun cartridge case, without the bullet,
must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metaljacketed bullets are not permitted.
Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.
Some types of handgun cartridges legal
for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41
Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt,
.45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35
Remington and .357 Herrett. Some illegal
handgun cartridges for deer hunting are .38
Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt new
Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38
aCP, .38 Colt auto, .45 aCP, .45 automatic
and .45 auto Rim. all .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30
carbine ammunition is prohibited.
Muzzleloading handguns are allowed. The
muzzleloading handgun must be single shot,
.50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at
least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least
12 inches long, measured from the base of
the breech plug excluding tangs and other
projections to the end of the barrel, including
the muzzle crown.

more at: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #50

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Thanks! checking my state website right now.

Question: a 12ga, what's the distance you can shoot or hunt a deer with? isn't a 12ga a bunch of small pellets?
12 Guage is several different things depending on the bullets you get. Slugs, shot and even some specialty ammo that is hard to find, will ruin your barrel after time, but is really cool.....