Newbie here, need help with takedown rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbie here, need help with takedown rifle

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: indianapolis,in
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Chrstian,

Unless I missed something, the last thing I would want to rely completely on especially for self protection would be a 22 Cal anything. When the SHTF people are going to be desperate and attempt to take that which belongs to others that the want. More than likely the biggest task will be defending your family, food and property at home. You better consider having some fire power. Keeping in mind they also may have weapons equal or better than yours! I would recommend an AR Rifle at least! A 22 pistol would be a good choice, or 22 rifle for small game. But a shotgun would probably be better since it could serve as a meat getter for food from rabbits, quail with 6 Shot, to deer or whatever. It is also one tremendous weapon for self defense and close in protection with # 4 Buck, 00 Buck or Slugs. You wouldn't want to be carrying around more than one weapon at a time anyway. If you were caught out from the house with only a 22 and they come along with almost anything else, grab your ankles and KYA goodbye. Also selection of the caliber or gauge of ammunition is very important. You mentioned 17 HMR and etc. Not a real good choice if you should ever run out of ammunition, because it probably would not be easy to come by in those times. 22, 223/5.56, 12 ga would be. And of course if you acquired the aggressors weapons during this time I am sure there will be some ARs and Shotguns you could use the parts, ammunition or reclaim the weapons.
Just some thoughts!

03


hmmm....well i can't go into details about my SHTF plans. You know, big brother is watching.....anyways. Anyone living in a city would be insane to stay in it. My SHTF situation is mostly traveling to a remote area....that's all i can say.

I don't like the AR....whatever rifles. Too many moving parts. For example, the Marlin Papoose is a Semi auto rifle, clips come in 7 & 10 per clip. A .22lr in the stomach is likely to kill anyone with an ar15 in the stomach.

Make people have the idea that you need a large caliber to kill a person. This is a myth. Any bullet can kill any one/thing. I doubt i'll be in any combat situations when SHTF. All i'm worried about is hunting some large game to feed my family and small game as well.

I'm not sticking around for the FED to come take my guns, again i can't go into details of my SHTF plan. My rifle has to be a TAKEDOWN rifle like the title says it. I wouldn't want to carry it with me in public. if $hi+ goes down, i'll have my handgun.

I dont believe all the hype of getting an AK47 or AR10,15 etc. I'm not going to war! i'm just trying to hunt. and if $h1+ does go down, i'm sure a 22lr can kill anyone 100-200yrs as a 9mm or .223 or 7.62.
__________________
chrstian_indy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
hmmm....well i can't go into details about my SHTF plans. You know, big brother is watching.....anyways. Anyone living in a city would be insane to stay in it. My SHTF situation is mostly traveling to a remote area....that's all i can say.

I don't like the AR....whatever rifles. Too many moving parts. For example, the Marlin Papoose is a Semi auto rifle, clips come in 7 & 10 per clip. A .22lr in the stomach is likely to kill anyone with an ar15 in the stomach.

Make people have the idea that you need a large caliber to kill a person. This is a myth. Any bullet can kill any one/thing. I doubt i'll be in any combat situations when SHTF. All i'm worried about is hunting some large game to feed my family and small game as well.

I'm not sticking around for the FED to come take my guns, again i can't go into details of my SHTF plan. My rifle has to be a TAKEDOWN rifle like the title says it. I wouldn't want to carry it with me in public. if $hi+ goes down, i'll have my handgun.

I dont believe all the hype of getting an AK47 or AR10,15 etc. I'm not going to war! i'm just trying to hunt. and if $h1+ does go down, i'm sure a 22lr can kill anyone 100-200yrs as a 9mm or .223 or 7.62.
Please explain the "too many moving parts" compared to other semi auto rifles. What hype of an AR anything is there? They are proven and I know several who hunt alone with them. Its an all purpose rifle. I dont care if you want one, thats your choice, just dont want you to be misinformed about them is all.
__________________
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rmason2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas,Texas
Posts: 46
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hery rifle not a bad option

I wouldn't completely rule out the Henry if I were you.

I have a Henry US Survival Rifle (AR-7), and I love it. It's accurate, it shoots the cheap and light weight .22 lr, and it can be completely taken apart without any tools, and the receiver can be taken apart using only a penny. The design is very simple and easy to keep clean. Replacement parts are very cheap. It also is stored within it's self so there is no need to have or keep up with a case.

The reliablility issues aren't a factor when the proper ammo is used. I use non-hollow point high velocity ammo, and no feed or jamming issues have ever occurred. I am always confident when hiking or camping that the rifle would perform well in any situation that might arise.

Also, the only components that are completely plastic on the gun is the stock and the sights. Everything else is steel that is coated in ABS plastic and Teflon to help protect the rifle from the elements.

A lot of the negative reviews that I had seen were from owners of older AR-7 models that were not made by Henry. The US Survival rifle is different than the old AR-7.

For the money, I don't think a Henry US Survival rifle can be beaten. Just MHO. Good luck with your search. I hope you enjoy whatever you end up buying.

__________________
Rmason2008 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: indianapolis,in
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Please explain the "too many moving parts" compared to other semi auto rifles. What hype of an AR anything is there? They are proven and I know several who hunt alone with them. Its an all purpose rifle. I dont care if you want one, thats your choice, just dont want you to be misinformed about them is all.
i've been reading about rifles and the many types and what not. Many people suggest to get an AR or AK47 etc etc etc for SHTF.
1st. off, no one knows what will happen.

I don't want to bash anyones views by no means. Each have their own opinions which i truly respect.

I just don't see myself carrying a AR or AK with me all the time. A nice TakeDown rifle is sufficient enough for my needs.

On top of that, ammo is also an issue. I can get 20 .223 for about a 1.05-1.15 a bullet. So i can buy 20 rounds for about $20-$26
OR i can buy 5000 rounds of .22lr for $220-$240.
OR
1000 9mm for $180-$200

So one must take in consideration
1. gun reliability
2. ammo

As for your question- AR 15 have many springs and moving part that sooner or later WILL wear down or break. in a SHTF situation, would you be able to go to trade or sell or buy those gun part + pay/find a gun smith?

For example: One of my handgun choices is a Ruger Blackhawk Convertable. It has 9mm revolver and a .357 (which can also shoot .38specials). I doesnt have many moving parts and its easy to clean.


I hope i don't offend anyones views. to each it's own, i appreciate all post.
__________________
chrstian_indy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: indianapolis,in
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmason2008 View Post
I wouldn't completely rule out the Henry if I were you.

I have a Henry US Survival Rifle (AR-7), and I love it. It's accurate, it shoots the cheap and light weight .22 lr, and it can be completely taken apart without any tools, and the receiver can be taken apart using only a penny. The design is very simple and easy to keep clean. Replacement parts are very cheap. It also is stored within it's self so there is no need to have or keep up with a case.

The reliablility issues aren't a factor when the proper ammo is used. I use non-hollow point high velocity ammo, and no feed or jamming issues have ever occurred. I am always confident when hiking or camping that the rifle would perform well in any situation that might arise.

Also, the only components that are completely plastic on the gun is the stock and the sights. Everything else is steel that is coated in ABS plastic and Teflon to help protect the rifle from the elements.

A lot of the negative reviews that I had seen were from owners of older AR-7 models that were not made by Henry. The US Survival rifle is different than the old AR-7.

For the money, I don't think a Henry US Survival rifle can be beaten. Just MHO. Good luck with your search. I hope you enjoy whatever you end up buying.

Thanks! from 99.9% of all my reading the OLD AR-7 rifles where much better build. They say the new ones that too picky on ammo and have had the plastic of the bore crack. The bore is a thin piece of metal covered with the teflon you mentioned.
THx though! keep the comments coming
__________________
chrstian_indy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
i've been reading about rifles and the many types and what not. Many people suggest to get an AR or AK47 etc etc etc for SHTF.
1st. off, no one knows what will happen.

I don't want to bash anyones views by no means. Each have their own opinions which i truly respect.

I just don't see myself carrying a AR or AK with me all the time. A nice TakeDown rifle is sufficient enough for my needs.

On top of that, ammo is also an issue. I can get 20 .223 for about a 1.05-1.15 a bullet. So i can buy 20 rounds for about $20-$26
OR i can buy 5000 rounds of .22lr for $220-$240.
OR
1000 9mm for $180-$200

So one must take in consideration
1. gun reliability
2. ammo

As for your question- AR 15 have many springs and moving part that sooner or later WILL wear down or break. in a SHTF situation, would you be able to go to trade or sell or buy those gun part + pay/find a gun smith?

For example: One of my handgun choices is a Ruger Blackhawk Convertable. It has 9mm revolver and a .357 (which can also shoot .38specials). I doesnt have many moving parts and its easy to clean.


I hope i don't offend anyones views. to each it's own, i appreciate all post.
No offense taken at all, I was just asking is all. As far as the springs and such, most people have backup anything for their AR, very cheap and very easy to fix if anything would happen, and any gun can have anything happen. As far as the ammo costs, there are MUCH cheaper ammo deals out there. I can get 100 rounds of 55 grain 5.56 for 31 bucks, and there are deals like that on the web as well. Currently I am loading up on my ammo stock and usually get a box of whatever a week. Thats what I was talking about the misinformed part.

As far as too many moving parts, I can think of maybe 1 spring that would actually go bad, MAYBE. And one of the big ones would be knocked out if you went with a competition trigger anyway. The rest of them are for pins such as the safety pin, to be able to lock the safety into place. Forward assist usually, at least I have never used it, never used so unnecessary spring to have really. In fact, you can get uppers with no forward assist at all. Buffer spring is a buffer spring.....not much else to go wrong with it.....either way, check out midwayUSA to see the cost of these springs and such. You are talking $1 for something you can carry around in your sack and will take up VERY little room at all next to your broken down AR.

Either way, just wanted to make sure you understood what was up with them. A lot of wrong info out there and dont want ya having the wrong impression about a great firearm.
__________________
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,800
Liked 839 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 968

Default

If you plan on carrying a 9mm anyways... Have you thought of one of the 9mm carbines? It would allow you to carry just one caliber and ive heard that a longer barrel really "wakes up" the 9mm round.

Dont really worry about a semi auto breaking.. I have some that are 3x older than me and still operate perfectly with all the original parts/springs.. With moderate care guns will last lifetimes... If you really worried, buy some extra parts, most minor parts that wear out are usually pretty cheap..

__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.

Last edited by Trez; 07-18-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: indianapolis,in
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
If you plan on carrying a 9mm anyways... Have you thought of one of the 9mm carbines? It would allow you to carry just one caliber and ive heard that a longer barrel really "wakes up" the 9mm round.
yes i have, only problem i see with them is- it's not really a hand gun.

I want to be able to carry a 9mm or something as a "handgun" not a sub mach gun.

I think theres a.....KelTec SU16 and the 2000.....

Not really good for carrying around as a concealed weapon.

I'm more interested in a handgun (possibly 2) and a rifle.
__________________
chrstian_indy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: indianapolis,in
Posts: 70
Default

For example the Ruger Blackhawk is 3 guns in 1- 9mm, 357 * .38special.

The Rossi, is 2 or 3 rifles in one. 22lr, shotgun shell, .243 (many more options). Problem is, it's a single shot weapon. But again (3 guns in one).

__________________
chrstian_indy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
For example the Ruger Blackhawk is 3 guns in 1- 9mm, 357 * .38special.

The Rossi, is 2 or 3 rifles in one. 22lr, shotgun shell, .243 (many more options). Problem is, it's a single shot weapon. But again (3 guns in one).
Hell, get the Medusa.
__________________
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
P226 Takedown lever NewGunz Semi-Auto Handguns 6 07-15-2011 11:11 PM
Newbie.. help me choose a rifle! JT426 General Rifle Discussion 36 05-19-2011 02:09 PM
Traditions Pursuit Pro Takedown Coelacanth64 Blackpowder & Musket 5 10-09-2010 01:19 PM
Winchester 255 takedown? ckirby .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 11 09-27-2010 03:14 PM