Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbie here, need help with takedown rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Pretty much dead set on bolt or lever action huh?
Bolt or semi auto. I don't know which is better to clean, pros and cons. so far i haven;'t heard anything of what i've posted

Don't get me wrong, i like your guys comments, it's just i wanted them to be about what i've posted. I dont see how a keltec SU16 is good for deer hunting. I want to kill the deer, not put holes in it :P

Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Pretty much dead set on bolt or lever action huh?
bolt or semi auto. I kinda dont like the lever....

dont get me wrong i like ur guys comments, i just have my mind set on those i've mentioned above. Like i said, i'm mainly going to use it for hunting small/medium game- i want to kill them not blow them up

Old 07-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #13

Bolt or semi auto. I don't know which is better to clean, pros and cons. so far i haven;'t heard anything of what i've posted

Don't get me wrong, i like your guys comments, it's just i wanted them to be about what i've posted. I dont see how a keltec SU16 is good for deer hunting. I want to kill the deer, not put holes in it :P

Old 07-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post

Personally, dont know much about what you posted, only know about what I have had experience with. Again, good luck and hope you get your answers. Place picks up right around 6 PM when most people are getting home.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

In your first post, you mention a bunch of .22's and 17HMR. If you want a deer rifle, why would you mention .22's?

Perhaps you should look a short Marlin lever gun like a Trapper in .30-30? You lose the takedown aspect, but it's a very handy carbine.

I guess you should keep researching until you can find something that will cover all your criteria.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
In your first post, you mention a bunch of .22's and 17HMR. If you want a deer rifle, why would you mention .22's?

Perhaps you should look a short Marlin lever gun like a Trapper in .30-30? You lose the takedown aspect, but it's a very handy carbine.

I guess you should keep researching until you can find something that will cover all your criteria.
Like i said, im a newbie. I dont know diddly about guns. I've read ppl killing game with a .22lr. Also i mentioned the Rossi Combo, which comes in 22LR / 50CAL. Correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't a 50cal kill a deer withing....100-200yds? any help is appreciated.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think you should keep researching and also asking questions here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #18

Quote:
I think you should keep researching and also asking questions here.
i know

ALso the rossi comes in a 243 win, which would be very good in hunting large game.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1805 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Chrstian,

Unless I missed something, the last thing I would want to rely completely on especially for self protection would be a 22 Cal anything. When the SHTF people are going to be desperate and attempt to take that which belongs to others that the want. More than likely the biggest task will be defending your family, food and property at home. You better consider having some fire power. Keeping in mind they also may have weapons equal or better than yours! I would recommend an AR Rifle at least! A 22 pistol would be a good choice, or 22 rifle for small game. But a shotgun would probably be better since it could serve as a meat getter for food from rabbits, quail with 6 Shot, to deer or whatever. It is also one tremendous weapon for self defense and close in protection with # 4 Buck, 00 Buck or Slugs. You wouldn't want to be carrying around more than one weapon at a time anyway. If you were caught out from the house with only a 22 and they come along with almost anything else, grab your ankles and KYA goodbye. Also selection of the caliber or gauge of ammunition is very important. You mentioned 17 HMR and etc. Not a real good choice if you should ever run out of ammunition, because it probably would not be easy to come by in those times. 22, 223/5.56, 12 ga would be. And of course if you acquired the aggressors weapons during this time I am sure there will be some ARs and Shotguns you could use the parts, ammunition or reclaim the weapons.
Just some thoughts!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #20

Liked 617 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 580

Quote:
Take a look at the KelTec SU16 series rifles. They fold in half by removing one pin. I think it could be exactly the rifle for you.

Link: Kel Tec CNC
Semi-auto or bolt action is just a matter of preference... I wouldnt really worry about a semi auto breaking, and IF for some reason it fails to cycle you can usually operate the bolt by hand.

I agree with Ca on the SU-16, there are a few different models to choose from each with different features. I dont see why you dont think it could be a hunting rifle, Im sure someone makes a hunting round for it..