Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbie here, need help with takedown rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie here, need help with takedown rifle

Hello all!

1st off, I’m new to this forum. 2ndly I’m new at owning guns and would like some help.

I will break this down into 2 separate threads. One for Survival Rifle and a separate thread called Survival handgun.

Since this thread is for Survival Rifle- the title says it all.

I don’t or have never owned a gun. I do have my lifetime permit here in the state of Indiana.

That said, I’ve been doing some research on “TAKE DOWN” rifles. I will list them here shortly and would like some comments regarding the take down rifles and hopefully I can come to a conclusion and set my mind on buying one at the gun show next month.

Before I list them, here is my 1st question: What should I consider as a survival rifle (Bolt Action or SA?) and why?
- Although I like the Bolt Action better because they require less moving part, which if it were to break, it wouldn’t cost me an arm or a leg. Also because I’ve read that they are easy to clean.
What do you guys think? BA or SA?

*many of you might be thinking what I’m going to use it for. Like I said, a survival situation. Survival how? Well, hunting game and maybe also protection- WHICH the bolt action wouldn’t help me much compare to a Semi auto*

Here is a list of what I’ve compile (all of them are in .22). Reason? .22 ammo is VERY common and VERY cheap. In a SHTF situation, trading for this kind of ammo will be easy. On top of that, I can stock on this kind of ammo IN BULKS for a SHTF trading situation. I can trade .22 for food or misc items or maybe other type of ammo. I’m thinking of buying tons of .22.

Henry AR7- I’ve heard mix reviews on this rifle. I love the idea, I hate the reviews. I’m 90% sure I’m NOT going to buy this. A majority of people complain about the plastic bore and its jamming or fail to feed problems. Price runs $150 (used)- $250.

Marlin Papoose 70pss: I’ve heard great reviews on this rifle. Easy to assemble, and no to/little problems with it. I also like how the bolt stays open when you fire the last round. Price runs $150 (used)- $250

Browning takedown .22- I’ve heard a lot of great reviews about this gun. Love the concept and its potential. Price can range from $250-$500

Volquartsen FUSION TAKEDOWN- This comes in two options
1. 17 HMR/.22 WMR
2. .17 Mach 2/.22LR mode
Price is a WOMPING $1,400-$1,800.

Marlin XT bolt action- The .22LR prices around $170-$240. You can adjust the trigger. Although this is “kind of” a take down rifle. You need a screw driver….and that’s about it.

around minute 1:55 he removes the screws with a screw driver. My question is, do any of you know if I can replace the screws with a thumb screw, that way I wouldn’t need to use a screw driver?

These are some misc rifles I would like to own (not all just one, but not sure which one yet)

Sprinfield M6- After looking at some videos I know its kind of lame since it only fires (1) .22 and (1) .410. I know I’ll probably buy one of these just because the way they are build. Price runs about $4-$650 USED!

Savage 22/410- Very similar to the Spring M6. Price runs cheaper than the Spring M6, about $2-$300

Rossi Combo: Although I love the idea, you can only shoot one bullet at a time. Good for hunting large game, but not for combat survival situation.
(they also sell these in 2 pairs, below are what they call the trifecta, or 3 pairs)
MODEL S202250YM | 20GA / 22LR / 50CAL
MODEL S202244YBS | 20 GA/22LR /44 MAG
MODEL S2022243YBS | 20 GA / 22 LR / 243 WIN
MODEL S42022243YBS | .243 / .22LR / 20 GA / .410 GA - NEW
MODEL S1224350M | 12 GA / 243 WIN / 50 CAL
MODEL S122250M | 12GA / 22LR / 50CAL

So there you go. Any help for a newbie is really appreciated. Feel free to add any takedown rifles I might have missed.

Should I worry about it being a bolt action or semi auto…..how easy/hard are they to clean…….are less moving parts better…..?

I would mainly use it for hunting, or protection. These are some random questions I have: Can you kill a deer or moose or whatever with a .22lr? and how long can you store frozen meat for?

Thx!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, you have done your homework, that is for sure. But one thing I would like to add is the AR-15. The good thing about this rifle is it will be great in a SHTF situation. Parts are on the cheaper side to replace if broken, Semi Auto for a protection stand point and very very accurate if you make it that way. Also what is great is you can change the entire upper and make it a .22 at any time, or change to the a 5.56 for larger game at any time, or any other caliber you wish. Very easy firearm to clean and handle, very easy to fix, and very easy to "adjust" it to whatever you want. Yes, they make .22 versions of this rifle that you can pick up for around $600. The lower can be used for not only several different calibers depending on the uppers you buy, but there is also a cross bow that is made to attach to the AR-15 lower as the trigger group for the bolts. IMO, best all around gun for any situation you would run into. (minus a charging elephant or something) but then you could put the single shot 338 Lapua upper on an AR-15 lower as well soooo....

Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Well, you have done your homework, that is for sure. But one thing I would lik................338 Lapua upper on an AR-15 lower as well soooo....
The only problem is, it's not a takedown rifle. I need something compact, easy to carry, assemble in the field type of rifle. Like i said, i'm posting a new thread on handguns, which would be my main quick draw survival weapon. The rifle is for hunting mostly, maybe some RANGE combat. But again, i'm more interested in take down rifles, although i appreciate your comment.

Keep them coming please!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
The only problem is, it's not a takedown rifle. I need something compact, easy to carry, assemble in the field type of rifle. Like i said, i'm posting a new thread on handguns, which would be my main quick draw survival weapon. The rifle is for hunting mostly, maybe some RANGE combat. But again, i'm more interested in take down rifles, although i appreciate your comment.

Keep them coming please!
2 very easy pins turns the entire rifle into this....

To each their own I guess. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Well, you have done your homework, that is for sure. But one thing I would like to add is the AR-15. The good thing about this rifle is it will be great in a SHTF situation. Parts are on the cheaper side to replace if broken, Semi Auto for a protection stand point and very very accurate if you make it that way. Also what is great is you can change the entire upper and make it a .22 at any time, or change to the a 5.56 for larger game at any time, or any other caliber you wish. Very easy firearm to clean and handle, very easy to fix, and very easy to "adjust" it to whatever you want. Yes, they make .22 versions of this rifle that you can pick up for around $600. The lower can be used for not only several different calibers depending on the uppers you buy, but there is also a cross bow that is made to attach to the AR-15 lower as the trigger group for the bolts. IMO, best all around gun for any situation you would run into. (minus a charging elephant or something) but then you could put the single shot 338 Lapua upper on an AR-15 lower as well soooo....
Adding to cdd...you can add a .22 conversion kit to an AR for less than $200 with a couple mags instead of buying a dedicated upper. Saying that, the dedicated upper or an AR-22 would be a better purchase if the money is available.

Buy a spare lower parts kit and an upper parts kit and you are pretty well set.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Adding to cdd...you can add a .22 conversion kit to an AR for less than $200 with a couple mags instead of buying a dedicated upper. Saying that, the dedicated upper or an AR-22 would be a better purchase if the money is available.

Buy a spare lower parts kit and an upper parts kit and you are pretty well set.
That's alot of $$$$$$ for the gun + the kit. On top of that, too many moving parts. Looks like a great gun, but not ideal for a SHTF situation.

thx!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Take a look at the KelTec SU16 series rifles. They fold in half by removing one pin. I think it could be exactly the rifle for you.

Link: Kel Tec CNC

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Take a look at the KelTec SU16 series rifles. They fold in half by removing one pin. I think it could be exactly the rifle for you.

Link: Kel Tec CNC
hmm.....i like it.....i'm just wondering how long till that little hole breaks and it would hold the pin. Its carbon right? it where were metal than i would prob buy it. Notice "prob". I don't think this would be ideal for hunting.....

Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
hmm.....i like it.....i'm just wondering how long till that little hole breaks and it would hold the pin. Its carbon right? it where were metal than i would prob buy it. Notice "prob". I don't think this would be ideal for hunting.....
Pretty much dead set on bolt or lever action huh?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's a well made rifle. There are pins with rings on them, so they are super easy to pull out. Unless you plan on bashing the rifle against rocks and trees, I don't think you need to worry about breakage.

Th SU series rifles are intended for what you are wanting. They're lightweight, foldable, shoot a good round and are dependable. They also use AR mags which is a big plus. It doesn't matter to me if you buy one or not, I'm just putting it out there to give you some decent information.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams