Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbie.. help me choose a rifle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie.. help me choose a rifle!

Hey guys;

I'm fairly new to rifles and am looking to purchase one of my own. I need help getting in the right direction. Here's what I'm looking for:

-I have about $700 to spend.
-I want it in .308. I will also consider 30-30 and 30-06. I will be using it for hunting and medium range target shooting.
-Glass is taken care of already so take that out of the price
-Call me crazy but I prefer synthetics and polymers to wooden stocks
-I want pretty decent accuracy at around 300 yards, if possible.
-I have been looking at some Remington 700s, such as the SPS. It's priced great but I want to be sure that I'm getting a good rifle.
-I've also looked at the Howa Axiom in .308, and the Savage 10FP.

I'm not too worried about length, portability, etc. so I prefer a barrel length/overall size that will give me the best results. Basically I want a decently-priced rifle that is accurate and reliable.

I apologize in advance if this request is far-fetched, against the forum rules, etc. Thanks for any help or replies!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Welcome aboard, JT! When you get a moment please swing through our introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

The rifles you mention are all good choices, and fall well within your price range. You should try them all out and decide which one fits you best. It will come down to personal choice.

I prefer a Mauser style controlled round feed action, but of the ones you mentioned I'd go with the Savage, mainly because I have used them a lot and trust them. The Howa would be second choice.

I prefer older Remingtons to the new ones, so would probably hunt around for a used one before buying a new SPS.

But that is all just my opinion, and any of them will treat you well.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response!

I will definitely start looking around for a used 700!

Just for reference though, which of the various 700 variants are best for my intended purpose for the money? I noticed that there are plenty of different models; any recommendations?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would seriously look at the HOWA. It is a big strong action that has the potential to be much more accurate than a 700 action.

The 700 SPS I would not really look at. The stock SUCKS to be nice. The quality has in my eyes gone down while the price has gone up and up. The SPS stock is a hollow piece of injection molded plastic that you will have to bed and fill to make it half way decent or just pull it off invest in a Bell and Carlson or other quality stock which will run you $250 and up. So go with the rifle with the better action and better stock.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you are looking for a good 700 I would look for a VSSF or a VLS. VSSF is Varmint Stainless Steel Fluted and the VLS is the Varmint Laminate stock. The VSSF comes with a quality HS precision stock on it from the factory. Or an older BDL.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=228064248

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-03-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #6

Do you want a semi or bolt action.If you want a semi go for a m-14,ruger mini-30,or a sks.If you want a bolt go with a rem. 700.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #7

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

I have a buddy saving up for a Remington 700 VTR... It has a triangular barrel and built in muzzle brake. Hes thinking of getting it in .308. The MSRP is $825 but hes found them for around $700+tax. I think last time they were on sale they were $700 out the door... That would be without glass, but you said thats already taken care of!!

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 VTR - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also check Weatherby Vanguard (basically Howa), they are just around $400 but really good for the money.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #9

Sorry! Looking for bolt-action.

That VTR sounds like a great deal. I'll definitely keep my eye out for one of those for around $700.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default bolt-action

Sir:
I would choose any bolt-action rifle from any of the major manufactureres. They all make good reliable rifles. Remington, Winchester, Savage, Ruger, Howa all have a model for every variation you can think of, to fit your want and needs.

I highly recomend the Savage 10-FP with a solid McMillan stock.
Very accurate and reliable and don't fudge on the scope, get a high quality scope, too.

Budd