Newbe Q: Savage Arms 12ABT in .308 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbe Q: Savage Arms 12ABT in .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If you have $1K to start with, I would suggest the Weatherby out of the box, get as good a deal as you can by paying cash to a local dealer, use what's left to get as good a scope as you can.....

If you can buy the rifle and put $1K into it, I would suggest using it in optics first. You are going to get SUB-MOA accuracy with it right from the factory, may as well have a really good scope....

If you can buy the rifle and scope you want, and have a $1K to work around, then I would suggest talking to a good smith because that puts you in the $2K to $2500 range where the really sweet customs begin to hang out...

JD

Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #12

Default re savage

get the savage it will outshoot pretty much any other rifle on the market prettymuch all savage bolt action centerfire rifles are designed off the savage model 110 AND feild and stream called it the most accurate of the shelf rifle in the world i own several savage arms rifles and all have been nothing less than perfect and yes the accutrigger is good too. and also i passed up a new wetherby rifle that was marked down to 400 dollars to buy my savage model 114 american classic for 650 dollars.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #13

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

One thing you might do before buying a weapon is attend a few long range matches and see what people are using, also talk to some of the shooters. Many are more then glad to boast a little.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 mag View Post
AND feild and stream called it the most accurate of the shelf rifle in the world
Source? I would have to seriously question that article. "The most accurate off the shelf rifle in the world"? Really? I kind of doubt that since "off the shelf" means production and there are hundreds of production weapons that will shoot circles around a Savage all day long.

Not only would I disagree with that statement, I would flat have to insist the writer actually take more than one weapon to the range before making such a broad brush statement.

Perhaps the writer meant the most accurate off the shelf rifle in it's price class, in which case I would still have to insist on seeing a list of what the shooter compared on the day of this epithany....

JD

Old 07-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

No doubt Savages are good accuate rifles. Remington's are too same with Howa/Vanguards. There are many different types of rifles out there.

If you want to shoot f-class I would get the savage F-class in 308 to start out with.

It really all depends on what you want to do and at how far you are going to do it at.

The 1000 yard world record is something like 3" That right there is some crazy good accuracy. You put that gun on the line at a 200 yard shoot and it would more than likely come in dead last as the loads, rifle and shooter are taylored to 1000 yards.

There are many forms of shooting compatitions out there you need to pick the one you want to do start with a stock class rifle and work your way up. Enter some local shoting matches because you are not going to get any better jsut sitting on a bench and shooting ow you want to shoot. You need to see how it is done for real and then train your self to shoot the way they want you to shoot.

Each class has a set standard and equipment that works for that class it might work for other classes as well but there is no one rifle that will be a compatition rifle. Dillinger and I do not always see eye to eye on rifles but he has a ton of knowladge and he is right on in what he is saying here.