Newbe
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Newbe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbe

I am wanting to buy my first gun. I was wondering if anyone had any sugestions on a long range rifle that would be good for a first gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlehew511 View Post
I am wanting to buy my first gun. I was wondering if anyone had any sugestions on a long range rifle that would be good for a first gun?
Welcome.
Ususally first gun and long range do not go hand in hand. Just saying...

Without knowing your budget and intended use (hunting, target shooting, distances, terrain, etc) it's like asking what's a good car.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community.

No offense, but if it's your first rifle I'd suggest starting with a 22 and becoming proficient. Then you can move out in distance and up in caliber.

Please stop by the new member introduction forum and introduce yourself to the folks when you can.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

welcome what are you planning on doing with just a target gun or hunting, do want a bolt action, semi auto... etc?

My first high powered rifle was Mosin Nagant 91/30 good for long range target shooting and hunting, bolt action, ammo is really cheap basicly russian 308.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #5

It would only be used for target shooting with a couple friend that I've gone out with. I was wantig a remington 700 but I don't want to spend that on a first gun in case I end up going 2 times a year.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

Where are you going to shoot at "long range"? What do you consider "long range". Where I live, the vast majority of gun clubs' rifle ranges only go out to 100 yards. The longest is 300 yards. You might want to find a place to shoot and get a feel for the actual distances involved before you make your choice of rifle.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't like the .22 for "first gun". I'd say get a mosin nagant 91/30. reliable, cheap plentiful ammo, they are reasonably accurate if they are just in halfway decent shape. Mine is a 1938 Tula arsenal, has more pits in the bore than Lindsay Lohan has freckles and still shoots minute-of-beer can out to about 120 yards with surplus ammo and iron sights.
A lot of folks consider 100 yards long range, sniper trained Marines like myself consider 1,000 yards to be just a touch long of a reach.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Welcome to the community! I hope you enjoy your stay with us !

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I would also suggest a 22lr,and also in a bolt action rifle.
Shooting a bolt action will let you learn the basic shooting skills that you will need,in order to shoot at longer ranges.

Get a good quality bolt action 22lr,and learn to shoot it well,then step up to a centerfire rifle. Marlin,CZ,Browning,Ruger,Savage all make great bolt action 22 rifles.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #10

I'd suggest a 700 30-06 bolt. Get something reliable and work into it.